Team-BHP - Road Tax calculation for 4.5 yr old Car in Pune
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Road Tax calculation for 4.5 yr old Car in Pune (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/63133-road-tax-calculation-4-5-yr-old-car-pune.html)

Hi,

I am moving to Pune from Hyderabad as my company has transferred me to Pune. I need to take my car along. I have read many discussions on the forum about the life tax in Pune. As I understand I need to pay the life tax for the car in Pune. The current rate of tax for personal vehicles in Pune is 7% of invoice value.

Source: Motor Vehicles Department ( R.T.O.) , Maharashtra

However as my car was first registered on 30-Dec-2005, so it is more than 4 years old. How much is the % on invoice value that I will be required to pay in Pune as the life time tax.

One of my friends was made to pay the full (at a rate of 7%) tax for a 3.5 year old car in Pune. I live in Hyderabad currently and checked the RTO website for Andhra, it clearly mentions the life tax rate for old vehicles as per their age.

Source: Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA

Does someone know how is the tax calculated in Pune on the prorata basis for old vehicle.

Also, I don't have the invoice of the vehicle as I have purchased it as a used vehicle and the previous owner did not preserve the invoice. This is an Hyundai Elantra and the model is out of production so I can not get a quote from Hyundai as a proof of invoice price. Is there any way out or will I have to leave it to RTO to evaluate the Car's invoice price and tax also ?

Kindly suggest.

TIA
VM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mittal_v2002 (Post 1421024)
I don't have the invoice of the vehicle as I have purchased it as a used vehicle and the previous owner did not preserve the invoice. This is an Hyundai Elantra and the model is out of production so I can not get a quote from Hyundai as a proof of invoice price. Is there any way out or will I have to leave it to RTO to evaluate the Car's invoice price and tax also ?

If you dont have the original invoice the RTO will calculate it for you.

I got my car down from bangalore and it is a 2003 model.

AFAI can remember, the tax is calculated at 7% along with depreciation for every year on the invoice value.

I paid INR 11500/- in Jan this year and its a life time tax.

Do send me a PM when you get here. I can help you out as I know a couple of agents. Got the LTT paid for my car through this agent and very quick (less than a day's work) and absolutely genuine.

Psssst, here is the scoop, cops aint gonna catch ya because they are busy harassing two wheelers at most places.

Besides, Elantra is a pretty large car, and you know how our guys are ... badi gaadi, bade saab, jaane do ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 1421174)
If you dont have the original invoice the RTO will calculate it for you.

Any clue how do they do it ?

Quote:

I got my car down from bangalore and it is a 2003 model.

AFAI can remember, the tax is calculated at 7% along with depreciation for every year on the invoice value.

I paid INR 11500/- in Jan this year and its a life time tax.
What is the formula for depreciation, do you know that ? perhaps, if you look at the invoice price for your car, it can be calcualted.

Quote:

Do send me a PM when you get here. I can help you out as I know a couple of agents. Got the LTT paid for my car through this agent and very quick (less than a day's work) and absolutely genuine.
I will surely get in touch once in Pune. BTW, have you got your car re registerd in Pune or just paid the tax ? Did you obtain the NOC from Bangalore ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 1421213)
Besides, Elantra is a pretty large car, and you know how our guys are ... badi gaadi, bade saab, jaane do ...

hahaha...

But the coin has other side also... if you get caught

badi gaadi, bade saab, bada fine, bada bribe !!! :(

Can someone help me find out the exact formula or fixed % for a car with certain age like they have published in AP RTO website.
new 9%,
1-2 yr old 8%
2-3 yr old 7%
3-4 yr old 6%
4-5 yr old 5%
5-6 yr old 4%
6-7 yr old 3.5%
7-8 yr old 3.0%
8-9 yr old 2.5%

more than 11 year Old 1%.

I could not something similar for Pune/Maharastra for calculation of tax for pre -registered vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 1421213)
Psssst, here is the scoop, cops aint gonna catch ya because they are busy harassing two wheelers at most places.

You are quite mistaken. Please refer to post # 31 and thereon - Caught!

Hi Mittal,

i was caught by motor vehicle inspector in Hyd while my car is from Gurgaon. i came here on short trip though i belong here. Thought of giving my car to parents but this incident was soo bad i was spending time to gather info.

My Registration was taken by inspector. He gave me a challan writing i need to pay life tax for this car on original invoice with in 30 days. I could not get the invoice from the previous owner as he was out of country. On the top of it its 2004 elantra crdi top end which was costing i guess 12 lakhs then. What if he charges 8% on that price????:Shockked:

I was thinking that the invoice is what the my previous owner has given to me after paying cash to him but inspector rejected that saying i need to furnish the original bill.

Very very upsetting, confusing and dont know whom to contact on this...

can any one here suggest me what can be done?

Hope a reply from you all.

Thanks in advance

Dear all,

Any inputs from anyone?
Sorry i am kind of rushing on this as the time of payment is coming near.

Thanks
surya

You get in touch with WIAA Pune to get the exact amount you will have to pay. They will even do the entire process for you, if you become a member. When I transferred my 4 year old RS from Gurgaon to Pune, I had to pay Rs. 1 lac in tax. The depreciation formula used by the RTO, reduces the value marginally for the first 7 years, if I recall correctly.

The Life Time Tax in Maharashtra is calculated on a pro rata basis.Your car is about 5 plus years old.That means the original tax of the car when new would have been about seven and a half percent of its cost price (ex-showroom).After you calculate the full value of road tax for a new car @ 7.5 % of ex-showroom price deduct one third from this value as 5 years have elapsed since you bought it. So you will have to pay two third of the full value, as Life Time Tax in Maharashtra is calculated for 15 years.
The exact figures can be got at the local RTO office.

Thank you soo much Bomi and Anjan_c2007.
I really appreciate your replies. Your mails gave me a confidence of finding info at RTA.

I would go to RTA office tommorrow if it is open as there are BANDHS HERE IN HYD

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4veel (Post 2531003)
I would go to RTA office tommorrow if it is open as there are BANDHS HERE IN HYD

I think you need to go to the PUNE RTO. The Hyderabad RTO will not have any info about Maharashtra vehicle tax as it is a State Tax and differs for each.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4veel (Post 2529311)
Hi Mittal,

i was caught by motor vehicle inspector in Hyd while my car is from Gurgaon. i came here on short trip though i belong here. Thought of giving my car to parents but this incident was soo bad i was spending time to gather info.

My Registration was taken by inspector. He gave me a challan writing i need to pay life tax for this car on original invoice with in 30 days. I could not get the invoice from the previous owner as he was out of country. On the top of it its 2004 elantra crdi top end which was costing i guess 12 lakhs then. What if he charges 8% on that price????:Shockked:

I was thinking that the invoice is what the my previous owner has given to me after paying cash to him but inspector rejected that saying i need to furnish the original bill.

Very very upsetting, confusing and dont know whom to contact on this...

can any one here suggest me what can be done?

Hope a reply from you all.

Thanks in advance

Hey 4veel,
Can you tell me where exactly where you caught and which time of the day?

I am currently a student in Hyderabad and I have a DL registered car on campus. I only have six months more to live in Hyderabad and I take my car out at max once a week. Up till now no cops have ever stopped me although I do see them stopping two wheelers very often.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Foxbat,

i was caught excatly opposite Novartis company,hitech city,madhapur. Morning around 11am.

I think for a month there were vigorous checks on out of state vehicles and i saw lot of other state vehicles getting caught and challans(unusual for Hyd)

I would suggest to negotiate anything before they write any challan or take RC. Once given vehicle check report and taken rc its very hard to get things done.

Hi Bomi...My vehicle is Haryana registered not Maharastra.
No further movement as these bandhs taking too much of active life.
Once i get out this....i will update here