Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 19:08   #16
BHPian

I agree, she's been on the local news every few days going on and on about the same thing.

A few months back when the booking process was on, i remember her saying that she didnt want any kind of special treatment. TM was good enough to allot a car outside the normal procedure, the least one can do it wait for a few weeks more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
i think this is another publicity stunt??
news while booking. now more news while cancelling.

let me guess the next one. she will get one within a week and that will be news again.

it goes on..
Old 7th August 2009, 19:11   #17
BHPian

Will this prove negative publicity for Nano? There might be others also who are waiting for the car but have no response from Tata.
Old 7th August 2009, 19:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

I hope TATA makes it up to her and gives her some extra goodies with her NANO. That will be another news then!
Old 7th August 2009, 19:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

First Amongst Equals; Really?

Agreed that she is the First Photo journalist and all, but does that require her to be givena priority treatment on that basis. As a senior citizen, Yes but not because she was the first photo journalist. Moreover I don't think she'll drive it herself.

Most of us crib when Politicians and other self certified VIPs try to behave First Amongst Equals , but over here everybody is quick to pounce on Tata Motors. Especially when she said that she doesn't want special treatment.
Old 7th August 2009, 19:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

The sad thing about this to me is that even when one is 96, the craving and attachment to material impermanent objects remains as strong as ever. That is the source of all suffering, so this means that suffering never ends in life.
Old 7th August 2009, 19:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Agreed that she is the First Photo journalist and all, but does that require her to be givena priority treatment on that basis. As a senior citizen, Yes but not because she was the first photo journalist. Moreover I don't think she'll drive it herself.

Most of us crib when Politicians and other self certified VIPs try to behave First Amongst Equals , but over here everybody is quick to pounce on Tata Motors. Especially when she said that she doesn't want special treatment.
I can assure she will drive it herself. She still cooks her own food, cleans her own house - everything.

It would be a nice gesture on humanitarian grounds to allot a car to her out of turn, especially since I am guilty of taking away her Fiat, her only transportation for over 50 years!
Old 7th August 2009, 19:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

the point here is, she wanted to be treated like any other, but apparently tata claimed they would deliver in 2 months, and then went back on their word. Not unlike my booking.

I too wanted a realistic estimate ( after reading tbhp, i was prepared for a figure expressed in months), and yet they insisted that they would deliver in 2 months. In the end, they took over thrice that time.

The point here is not the delivery period, but making promises they can't keep.
Old 7th August 2009, 20:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the point here is, she wanted to be treated like any other, but apparently tata claimed they would deliver in 2 months, and then went back on their word. Not unlike my booking.

I too wanted a realistic estimate ( after reading tbhp, i was prepared for a figure expressed in months), and yet they insisted that they would deliver in 2 months. In the end, they took over thrice that time.

The point here is not the delivery period, but making promises they can't keep.
Absolutely agree with you there but did your predicament make news! No! Why? Because you are just another person and even if you ask the media, they will retort that " Well, Its supposed to be like that, isn't it?" But incase of her since media can make a nice juicy story, so they highlight it.

@ Karlos: Since you are guilty of taking her mode of transportation, I think you should return it to her till she gets her Nano. What say?

Anyways do we really think that a 96 Yr old, however good a driver they may be, will be safe on our present day city roads. Guys think about the road safety aspect as well.

@ Sawyer: Atleast for me I don't think the suffering will ever end. But then I still have 66 Yrs to go. May be things might change. May be, who knows!!!

Last edited by MileCruncher : 7th August 2009 at 20:14.
Old 7th August 2009, 20:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well I agree with MileCruncher. She doesn't deserve the special treatment just because she's famous. Clearly, Tata messed up and promised too much. She can very well cancel and leave it there. But the publicity means that because of her, someone else who is expecting a Nano will have a delayed delivery. She is using her fame to her advantage here. Even the 'senior citizen' tag is being abused. Senior citizens can be given some perks but they can't expect everything to come to them so easily.

At the end of the day, who really needs the Nano? A 96 year old who will undoubtedly have other modes of transportion if she needs it or a family of four balanced precariously on a Chetak?
Old 7th August 2009, 20:55   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

@ Karlos: Since you are guilty of taking her mode of transportation, I think you should return it to her till she gets her Nano. What say?
+1 to this. Also add a T-Bhp sticker too
Old 7th August 2009, 21:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

point is , when they make the promises, tata gets press coverage. and when they break it, you , the person at the recieving and and the money on the line - nobody cares about you, because you're not newsworthy.Finally, when someone who is high profile enough to do this comes along, people want to do the same to them as well.

Tata made news when they declared a so called 1 lakh car. Now after a bit of creative accounting and wordplay, they've managed to roll out the car at a price which is closer to 2L OTR than it is to 1.

What about the indigo vista sedan in 6 months, or the ABS and airbags for the Vista, much less the entire model range, when they were perfectly capable of rolling it out, or the various models which they said they would launch in press releases and never did?

For once I think the media actually bought something we care about to light. Usually a paper would think twice about running such an article because this would probably piss off the manufacurer, such an important source of revenue...
Old 8th August 2009, 00:31   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Vyarawalla was upset to learn that the company has already delivered 16 cars in the city yesterday and her name did not figure in this list.
I can understand this pain. Two years back I was waiting for the Safari 2.2L, making regular enquiries, even briefing the local Tata sales guy regular with all the news I got from team-BHP from all over the country for 3 months. I knew about the release and web site update before the dealership. But, when I was scheduled to get the TD, they kept sending the TD vehicle to all their various branches for launches. While all the Team-BHPians were getting TD all over the country, the local dealership was parading the TD vehicle all over while ignoring the ready to buy customer, that's me. Finally my wife snapped and doubled the budget. When the Safari finally came for TD, I had already paid the advance on GV. It was sweet revenge to tell the Tata salesman that they lost the deal because they made me wait for 3 weeks for TD.
Old 8th August 2009, 07:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Well I agree with MileCruncher. She doesn't deserve the special treatment just because she's famous. Clearly, Tata messed up and promised too much. She can very well cancel and leave it there. But the publicity means that because of her, someone else who is expecting a Nano will have a delayed delivery. She is using her fame to her advantage here. Even the 'senior citizen' tag is being abused. Senior citizens can be given some perks but they can't expect everything to come to them so easily.

At the end of the day, who really needs the Nano? A 96 year old who will undoubtedly have other modes of transportion if she needs it or a family of four balanced precariously on a Chetak?
I dont agree with you at all. One day you will also become old and lonely and then (if you remember this post) you will regret your words.
Famous or not, for a spirited 96 years old lady who still does her work herself, she definitely deserves a special consideration.

Had Mr. J R D Tata been alive today, he would have definitely ensured a priority delivery for the 96 years YOUNG lady. I hope Mr. Ratan Tata reads this and arranges an immediate delivery for her. Others can wait as they have long years to live.
Old 8th August 2009, 09:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

This is now on the Hindu, back page
Old 10th August 2009, 15:17   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I an really shocked by the level of insensitivity some of you have shown here!

A 96 year old lady, highly decorated and a pioneer in her field, the country's first lady photojournalist. She has been living alone for the last 30 years after her husband and only son passed away. She gave up her Fiat after 55 years as she found it difficult to maintain. She books a Nano, never asking for it out of turn. The company, as a goodwill gesture, offers her the first car in Baroda. Then they dont allot her a car at all. Think about it! I'd be insulted, if nothing else.

And anybody doubting her driving capabilities (really cheap shot!), can see this

Films: Homai Vyarawalla by Anik Gosh

Most Viewed