Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 15:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I an really shocked by the level of insensitivity some of you have shown here!

A 96 year old lady, highly decorated and a pioneer in her field, the country's first lady photojournalist. She has been living alone for the last 30 years after her husband and only son passed away. She gave up her Fiat after 55 years as she found it difficult to maintain. She books a Nano, never asking for it out of turn. The company, as a goodwill gesture, offers her the first car in Baroda. Then they dont allot her a car at all. Think about it! I'd be insulted, if nothing else.

And anybody doubting her driving capabilities (really cheap shot!), can see this

Films: Homai Vyarawalla by Anik Gosh

Fully agree with you Karlos.

Some people here need to get some sense knocked into them.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The sad thing about this to me is that even when one is 96, the craving and attachment to material impermanent objects remains as strong as ever. That is the source of all suffering, so this means that suffering never ends in life.
Um what exactly are you trying to say here? Why do you feel the need to pass judgement on a 96 year old lady living all alone? Maybe she needs the car to buy groceries and medicine. Maybe she needs it for monthly doctor visits. Is that 'material attachment' as well? Shocker of a post.
Old 10th August 2009, 20:03   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The sad thing about this to me is that even when one is 96, the craving and attachment to material impermanent objects remains as strong as ever. That is the source of all suffering, so this means that suffering never ends in life.
We live in a country where most swamijis run capitation fee Medical/Engineering colleges and other commerical establishment. And you want a normal person to give up material things just because she is old?
Old 10th August 2009, 20:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Oh absolutely. She doesn't wear glasses, doesn't use a walking stick. A fiercely independant lady, she doesn't even have a maid to cook and clean. She is even conversant with SMS
Hi karlosdeville. So well said. I too was shocked to hear such comments from people of our faternity. How insensitive people can be. And I wonder who is selfish- the YOUNG lady or the guy who thinks his Nano has been given away to a cry-baby. I think one should read about her to make or pass any judgments on her. Please refrain from irresponsible shallow comments just for the heck of it. I bet there is not one of us on this forum who will be ever able to achive or live a life that she has. Please do not make loose coments on her. Forget that she is the first woman photojournalist of the country. She is truly a living inspiration.
And if I am not mistaken, the promise was made by the local dealer and not the TM. The Parsi lady definately deserved the first Nano of the city. A great Tata fan that I am, I am truly dissapointed.
Old 10th August 2009, 20:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We live in a country where most swamijis run capitation fee Medical/Engineering colleges and other commerical establishment. And you want a normal person to give up material things just because she is old?
And mind you - this is not jewelry or something like that - this is a bare bones basic necessity, the cheapest car in the world!
Old 10th August 2009, 20:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please clarify that what exactly are you trying to say with this post ?

Are we anyone to speak on somebody's age and what he/she is supposed to do at that age. She is living alone so definitely she needs some means of transport too. You know what, even kids who are barely 4 feet tall are now a days using electric two wheelers. If that the age of 13 if a kid needs two wheeler ( also consider that they are living with parents ), IMHO, a lady 90+ years old has a right to drive car on our roads and she does deserve more respect also. And she did not use a sword to pressurize Mr. Ratan Tata.

The goodwill gesture was made by tata from their part, and I am sure that at this age, she is not the one who has put pressure on tata for goodwill gesture.
And what about the real waiting period ? Actually we were expecting a full blown full availability launch of Nano in Aug/sept08. I think its Aug09.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

What I wrote is the core of the teachings of the Buddha. His teachings are widely available for anyone that wants to know what exactly this statement means. If anyone is interested in them.
PS: And it was said as a reminder that the passage of time/age does not automatically bring about any solutions, if that is what one thinks or hopes will happen. Whether the lady retains her attachments to material objects or not is, in itself, none of my business.

Last edited by Sawyer : 10th August 2009 at 22:13.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:
What I wrote is the core of the teachings of the Buddha. His teachings are widely available for anyone that wants to know what exactly this statement means. If anyone is interested in them.
"The thought manifests as the word. The word manifests as the deed. The deed develops into habit. And the habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care. And let it spring from love, born out of concern for all beings."
-The Buddha
Old 10th August 2009, 23:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I wrote is the core of the teachings of the Buddha.
I suppose we can take it that you don't particularly care about the teachings of the Buddha since you just bought a couple of 'material' cars yourself.

Coming back to the original topic. Tata got boatloads of positive publicity when this lady sold off her old car and booked a Nano. It's only fair that some of it is repaid by allotting her a Nano at the earliest.
Old 10th August 2009, 23:44   #40
BHPian

I suggest that any member having access to anybody senior in Tata Motors should pass on the link to this thread so they may become aware of our support for a 96 years young lady, and also to our outrage on the insensitivity shown by Tata Motors on this issue.

I once again request Tata Motors to respect need of Mrs. Vyarawalla and allot her a Nano immediately.
Old 11th August 2009, 06:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I suppose we can take it that you don't particularly care about the teachings of the Buddha since you just bought a couple of 'material' cars yourself.
One of them was for my wife. And the other is a move from a Rs 16 lakh car to a Rs 6 lakh one. But yes, truth be told, I am struggling to internalize the teachings, and the post was a loud reminder to me that cravings are not going to somehow go away on their own, even if I live to be 96.
Old 19th August 2009, 07:21   #42
BHPian

Relax.
Finally Homi Vyarawalla got her Nano deliverd to her yesterday.
Tata guys quickly responded to her cancelling the car.
Thanks Tata.
Old 19th August 2009, 08:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Again, The customer had to raise a hue and a cry (And involve the national media) to get something done about it. Everyone can't do the same.And probably, someone , somewhere got their nano delivery pushed back...

Full marks to Tata for taking care of the situation, but then again, its a mess of their own making, and they faced a lot of bad press otherwise. I wish they did not create these situations in the first place.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:07   #44
BHPian

Thanks Tata. I hope now Mrs. Vyarawalla will enjoy her drive.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:21   #45
BANNED

Good. At least we have some sensitivity left.

Saw the Interview of decorated servicemen on the Box on 15/8 (repeated many times). The comment of the Marshal of the Air Force (the only one ever in the IAF) is very telling. This is to the effect he joined the Air Force in the British Raj. Whenever he had occasion to visit some local functionary (as a subaltern) he was invariably met with a handshake and offered a seat. Today (as theMarshal of the IAF) he does not get offered a seat! Enough said!

Most Viewed