Team-BHP - Transport of Brand New Cars from Factories to Showrooms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Transport of Brand New Cars from Factories to Showrooms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/63164-transport-brand-new-cars-factories-showrooms.html)

Till about more than two decades back, most cars used to be driven from their factories to the respective showrooms for which they were earmarked.
Fiats/ Premiers, Ambassadors and Jeeps from M & M were 100% driven and brought to the showrooms.
Now that first 1000 kms was the running in period for most engines. It is not known how the company drivers handled the four wheelers during this crucial period and whether the new owner got a machine that had running in period related faults?
Come the Maruti in 1984 truck transport from factories commenced and most manufacturers followed suit.
But just yesterday, I saw a fleet of Mahindra Bolero Campers, XL's and Utility Pick-Ups being driven on the highway. That has prompted to start this thread. I am sure M&M the only brand among the lighter four wheelers, that are still driven from the factories. I am told that till recently Scorpios used to also be driven similarly. But my Scorpio delivered this April, had 000000 kms on its odo and was transported by truck.So also Xylos are truck transported.
Road transport though with its own perils used to be a lovely sight for automobile lovers who could spot many, many maybe Ambassadors , Premiers or Jeeps while on the highway. That is sorely missed now.

Mahindra PIckups which are built in Kandivli are stil being transported to various parts of the city or elsewhere by drving it. I see sometimes about 15-20 new pickups together near Sion/Dharavi area, all goign to their respective dealers.

Also almost daily, i see about 5-7 brand new maruti's being driven from my area, probably going on to the driver. I see swifts, 800, dzire and what not but sad to say, those drivers almost fly them. I would hate to see my brand new car driven like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fx45 (Post 1421820)
I would hate to see my brand new car driven like that.

Which is why most of us prefer to drive our beauties from the dealer's stock yard.stupid:

T save petrol, there were stories of one ambassador towing two others and rotating tow cars

Grande Punto is driven from its Ranjangaon plant to its Pune dealers.

Approximate distance is 55 km

Don't know how it is transported to other cities.

I've noticed a lot of Mahindra UV's which are manufactured in Kandivli plant are driven to a stockyard somewhere between Bhayandar and Vasai on the Ahmedabad highway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 1421802)
But just yesterday, I saw a fleet of Mahindra Bolero Campers, XL's and Utility Pick-Ups being driven on the highway.

I am frequently travelling on Pune - Kolhapur patch and I always see Mahindra Boleros after Satara going towrds Kolhapur. They are always a bunch of 6 to 8 vehicles going to showrooms.

Worst part is all these boleros always carry 6 or 7 (sometimes more) passangers like a shared taxi. The drivers seem to be making money on almost every trip. I am spotting this regularly for over two months now.

so basically we get previously driven cars!:Shockked:

but first hand ownership!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 1421802)
Till about more than two decades back, most cars used to be driven from their factories to the respective showrooms for which they were earmarked.
.. I am told that till recently Scorpios used to also be driven similarly. But my Scorpio delivered this April, had 000000 kms on its odo and was transported by truck.

I am sure these vehicles are driven with odometer cable removed. thats why 0 kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncer (Post 1421895)
..Worst part is all these boleros always carry 6 or 7 (sometimes more) passangers like a shared taxi. The drivers seem to be making money on almost every trip. I am spotting this regularly for over two months now.

Yes this is a very common scenario. I have even seen many of the Indigos driven like this.

I personally went to my warehouse and saw 18 km on the ODO. The thing is, my warehouse is 70 km from my place. So the car will be driven those 70 km PLUS about 30 km for the registration. So, I was told, that 120 Km would be on the ODO when I would get the car.
I hate that feeling, but what has to be done, has to be done. God knows how these drivers would be driving these cars down. Mine is on the highway. So they must be flying down with it. SUCKS

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmehta (Post 1421932)
I personally went to my warehouse and saw 18 km on the ODO. The thing is, my warehouse is 70 km from my place. So the car will be driven those 70 km PLUS about 30 km for the registration. So, I was told, that 120 Km would be on the ODO when I would get the car.
I hate that feeling, but what has to be done, has to be done. God knows how these drivers would be driving these cars down. Mine is on the highway. So they must be flying down with it. SUCKS

since you know its urs
cant u drive it down,or may be you can sit with driver or make him sit with you at least.?

I dont want to drive down an unregistered car myself for all the legal intricacies and risks involved.
As far as sitting next to the driver is concerned, it might be difficult as I have work to tend to, during the day. Won't happen.

i think this is a usual practice! Recently i was at one of the stockyards of a hyundai dealer here in noida and i saw a black i20 asta and a blue one racing down towards the stockyard. When i reached the entrance of the stockyard there was this burning smell in the air, it was the black i20 being driven with full handbrake up !!!! the driver quickly disengaged the ebrake!

The condition of the stockyard well deserves another thread hahah ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aZa (Post 1421950)
i think this is a usual practice! Recently i was at one of the stockyards of a hyundai dealer here in noida and i saw a black i20 asta and a blue one racing down towards the stockyard. When i reached the entrance of the stockyard there was this burning smell in the air, it was the black i20 being driven with full handbrake up !!!! the driver quickly disengaged the ebrake!

The condition of the stockyard well deserves another thread hahah ;)

lol: That is why customer visits to stockyards are discouraged! They do not even bother to put a simple shed with a GC sheet roof under which the cars can stand.
A long time ago, I had the opportunity to come to Pune from PAL Kurla in a new Fiat 1100D delivery convoy. I was aghast to see running in speed limits ignored, but on the other hand, the driver shifted the car to neutral and coasted every chance he got. Unsafe, I know, but perhaps it was the way to compensate for the higher speeds. I will say this though, the open truck chassis that are still transported by roads are generally driven in an exemplary manner. Perhaps it is hard to drive in an aggressive manner when you are driving long distances with the wind in your face!

back in 96 I remember when in college we used to get lifts from new bombay to thane in such new vehicles like the mahindras and marutis. These drivers used to charge 5-10rs per seat. and used to drive like crazy back then it felt fun to be travelling in a brand new car but when i think of it now i really pity the owners of those so called "brand new vehicles".