Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 12:51   #1
BHPian

Why is the Indica Vista not outselling the Swift diesel?

The engine for both of the cars is basically the same. On top of that, the Indica has a lot more space, more features, better ride quality and is priced better.

Then why does the Swift still have waiting times while the Indica is available immediately?
Old 10th August 2009, 13:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
The engine for both of the cars is basically the same. On top of that, the Indica has a lot more space, more features, better ride quality and is priced better.

Then why does the Swift still have waiting times while the Indica is available immediately?
Carlover,

While the Vista does have it positive points over the Swift, some of the reasons it is not selling as well are:

1) Taxi cab image of the Indica. A lot of people pass a judgement about the car even without having a look. To a lot of people the VIsta is a new Indica variant. They do not see it as a completely new car.

2) Tata's poor after sales service.

3) Tata vehicles have a reputation of teething problems when they are first launched in the market. A lot of people wait for a year before they buy a new Tata launch. You would have noticed an increasing number of Vistas on the roads in the last few months.

4) Swift has the the first mover advantage . Most people play it safe and go in for a "tried and tested" or a conventional choice.

5) MSIL is a better marketer of it's products and has far better service. MSIL commands a phenomenal Brand Equity in the small car segment.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

the reasons could be

1. Maruti is selling at more locations across india. More dealers means more sale
2. SWIFT is more proven model
3. Maruti after sales service and spare parts availability is more predictable

4. Indica VISTA has a perception of being Taxi or call center car (historical baggage)
5. Tata after sales service is not predictable and not good like maruti
6. World of mouth publicity for Maruti is better than that of Tata.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks (Swift looks awesome compared to any car in its price range), Maruti peace of mind and the "Indica" name are what come to my mind.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 10th August 2009 at 13:22.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

To add to what Rajneesh has said, I have never found a Tata sales or service guy polite or giving proper answers. Be it a Xeta or a Safari sales folk. When you ask them about any issues with the vehicle, you would get a prompt reply - "Tata ki gaadi hai, sasti hai, issues to hoga!" How do you expect a person to buy the vehicle when he hears such comments?

Its like the dialogue from the movie border - Ghar ki chatt toot gayee hai, XYZ thand se marr gaya, khet sookh gaye, blah blah blah, baaki sab thik hai!
Old 10th August 2009, 13:30   #6
jav
BHPian

I like the turbo surge of the swift diesel, whereas in vista i did not feel that push
Old 10th August 2009, 13:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

How many % of people look under the hood when they buy the new car? Not much. All they look is the reputation of the brand, resale and A.S.S.

my 2 paisa..
Old 10th August 2009, 13:49   #8
BHPian

agreed on most of the points. Tata's should've removed the word Indica from the Indica Vista - probably that could've just about garnered some more interest.
also, like rajaneesh mentioned, there are more Vista's seen these days - but I dont expect it to ever outsell the Swift, unless people change their perception about Tata cars!
Old 10th August 2009, 14:00   #9
BHPian

Frist Impression matters. Vista is completely a new car, compared to Indica. Byt most people create a first impression based on the looks Since the basic shape reminds Indica, its taken for granted that its another Indica. The second step of exploring the car never happens.
Tata should do more road shows, exploit the interiors which looks distinctly different than the indica.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

From a simple non technical view, I will not prefer Vista at least because of the taxi image where swift has better looks, good support and resale value.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

I believe even within Vista, the TDI outsells the Quadrajet. That could mean that Indica buyers generally want a big diesel car at the cheapest possible price. The Swift sells for a completely different set of reasons.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if the Swift Diesel outsells Vista Diesel!

According to this month's issue of Autocar India, Swift sold around 6500 units in June, where as Indica sold over 10K.
Let's say around 60% of the Swift's sales are diesel, then it would come around 4K.
Out of the Indica's total sale of 10K, if we take off around 30% of the older Indica, there are still around 7K Vistas remaining. Everybody would agree that out of this lot, the Diesel sales will not be less than 80%.

PS - The whole calculation would change if we take the Swift and the Ritz sales together, though!

Last edited by safari_lover : 10th August 2009 at 15:23.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

safari_lover,
Is the 30% for the old Indica a guesstimate ? For I dont see that many Vistas on the road. I guess the figure for the Indicab/BPO segment would be much much higher.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:48   #14
BHPian

I rejected Indica Visja Saffire Aura just because I was not confident of the following things:

1. I can buy a elephant easily in these times, but could not afford to maintain it. So wanted a good reliable cheap to maintain CAR. Hence opted for Hyundai.
2. Quality matters to me. I dont wanted to compromise. Hence rejected Swift too.
3. Could not consider Palio (which is very good for its quality) due to the reason 1.
4. In general, I wanted peace of mind. I am not saying that one will not get peace of mind if buy a Tata/Maruti product. Its my assumption/judgment/perspective.

However my decisions were made with Petrol engine in perspective.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

I agree fully with most members here. If only Tata had changed the look of taillamp and given removed the Indica brand name it could have sold better, since Vista is one heck of hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
According to this month's issue of Autocar India, Swift sold around 6500 units in June, where as Indica sold over 10K.
Let's say around 60% of the Swift's sales are diesel, then it would come around 4K.
Err, Correct me if im wrong. Didnt MSIL stop producing Swift P after Glam version. So those 6500 units might constitute more % of diesel Swifts. Im just guessing here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks