Team-BHP - whats in the name? Can a product be a failure due to earlier image? Estilo & Vista.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   whats in the name? Can a product be a failure due to earlier image? Estilo & Vista. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/63299-whats-name-can-product-failure-due-earlier-image-estilo-vista.html)

guys i wanted to knowhow many of you think that a name can carry misconceptions as to what the car may be or what it shud have been?
I mean see the Zen Estilo or the Indica vista, is it a victim of improper branding coz the name brings to immediate recollection another image of the car which the new one may be not?
The vista is far better than the normal Indica and the Estilo is quite competent by its own right compared to the earlier Zen.
misconceptions and perceptions rule when recollecting the name: The normal Indica has electrical and mechanical problems and has a taxi cab image, while the earlier zen had a uppie sporty image.
The new vista is far improved and refined and can pass of as a car from another brand esp quadrajet, and the estilo i think is equally or slightly better than the wagon R in looks, VFM, features, and mileage and promise the same durability and mechanicals. while the wagon R is a top seller, estilo is not, Is it the name that affects it then maruti should drop the name Zen. I think it would have suited A star better. same with vista. what do you guys think? Ive come accross many who compare both cars to their predecessors, which is unfair.
Hope buyers can veiw their cars without baggage or prejudice.

I have owned Estilo and currently own a Vista. Yes, for people at large these cars are just the next (updated) versions of old cars respectively. Whereas, the truth is that they are on entirely different/new platforms, totally new cars altogehter.

Associating the name of earlier model is definately the culprit behind this misconception. The cars should have been launched as just 'Vista' and 'Estilo'. I feel the same about Sumo Grande. Toyota was wise with Qualis and Innova.

Quote:

guys i wanted to knowhow many of you think that a name can carry misconceptions as to what the car may be or what it shud have been?
Yup it does. But only as long as you dont test drive the vehicle.

When i first heard that a new Honda City Vtec (type zx) was being launched, i was expecting it to be like the OHC but it turned out to be a completely diff car.

But when the ANHC was launched, i went for a test drive with the NHC Vtec in mind so wasn't all that disappointed as the car was close to what i was expecting.

Shan2nu

Both Vista and Estilo look much different than there original versions and are better performers comparatively. People don't take a notice of that. Even to me, though the vista looks completely different from the original Indica, the perception of the older one still persists.

I always thought Estilo is a car which is worth the money and would do well.

If these models were launched with a new name, it is very obvious that it would have created more hype about itself rather than just being another version of the older model.

Not just these, remember the Palio-face Siena? It bombed big time mainly because of the old Siena. Changing the name afterwards to Petra was too little too late.

I think A-star being revvy and sporty should be called Zen and Estilo just estilo or should have been called a star, so is for Vista, just Vista.
funny before launching or naming the head honchos at these cos, dont sit arround and check the market acceptance. Maruti I guess thought it could ride on the feel good factor of the zen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_pphilip (Post 1425925)
so is for Vista, just Vista.

And then it would have failed because it shares its name with a less than amazing Windows productlol:

ha ha ha .. yeah, thats true, in the lighter vein, mclaren rulez. Vista, dint think that.
car guys should think better on branding. using the old zen name crucifies the estilo coz it does nothing the old zen does, but is wonderfull by itself.
Your signature line is kool 2, dude. God would look silly, .... ha ha ha ..

most definitely a product CAN be a failure because of earlier, less than savoury associations with brand name/ product.

read a book called buy-o-logy by martin lindstrom - very readable and amazing insights.

1) In case of Vista it is the resemblance with earlier car that is actually playing spoilsport. Its not name but looks. There was one thread about the resemblance of Vista with generation one Indica.

2) In case of Estilo, they just messed up all the things. Its here where your logic stands correct. People were expecting this new Zen to be better than earlier jelly bean shape Zen. What they eventually found out is that the powertrain is not as entertaining, neither is handling as good. Even the most common customer ( I mean having below average knowledge ) ended up saying " This is very near to Wagon R " or " It feels like a faster Wagon R ". I have personally seen these commetns from a Generation one Zen owner. Dealer also tells me the same.
Maruti tried to capitalize on the brand of Zen and payed the price it deserved.

Is Vista a failure ? I don't think so...Most of the Folks who buy Indica just want a car and they are not bothered about specs as long as it's an Indica.

They just want a Diesel with 4 wheels !

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 1427835)
Is Vista a failure ? I don't think so...Most of the Folks who buy Indica just want a car and they are not bothered about specs as long as it's an Indica.

They just want a Diesel with 4 wheels !

He didnt say that. What he meant was with respect the old image/names.

oh sir Im not writting of the Vista as a product, what I mean is, Is it getting it fair due or is it not held with respect by people who think its an extension to the TATA Indica.
Im extremely pleased with the Vista Quadrajet; You can read my impressions here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ajet-aura.html

Id strongly recommend it as a worthy buy. same with Estilo I found all charecters simillar to Wagon R and Estilo is a worthy buy;
what cant be explained is why is the wagon R faring better than the Estilo and why is Swift Diesel faring better than Vista quadrajet .. considering that there is more than few things common between both the competing cars.
I feel the name negatively contributes and maybe the reason people arent much aware of the two cars that are overshadowed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_pphilip (Post 1430710)
oh sir Im not writting of the Vista as a product, what I mean is, Is it getting it fair due or is it not held with respect by people who think its an extension to the TATA Indica.

But its mentioned as a failure in the title. I do not think its a failure. Its definitely doing well.

Also, thinking the other way around... I also know for sure that in some sections of the public the Vista has in fact managed to lift the image of 'Indica' by virtue of its good package. Now, how about that?

I personally liked the vista, but from what I gathered talking to people and inviting suggestions, many think Vista is an extention to the earlier Indica and hence dont give it a chance ... I think TATA has done a commendable job with the superb Vista and needs a pat on the back. You can read my reveiw on the Vista. I am just reffering to a section of people Sir, who wish to ignore the virtues of Vista stating it will have simillar problems as Indica. many call it new Indica. I strongly dont believe so and thats why I wanted more opinions from knowledgeble people. I am sure that there may be many who think otherwise because they experienced the product which is excellent.
By failure I mean compared to Swift Diesel why is it not selling in simillar nos. I dont mean the product independantly failed. But where therez so much in common and being a well packaged car whats it lacking in, that the swift beats it in sales. This car can easily go as another car under a different badge. or be badged under a different manufacture and do better. people carry past baggage of reliability issues they experienced with the earlier Indica. many love Safari and Indigo, some like their Indicas too, But Indica somehowz got a reputation for bad quality. when shopping for a new car some told me to ignore the Vista coz its bumpers will fade like the Indicas and rubber beadings will crack and also it will be sold as a Taxi, this is the wrong perception Im trying to understand and emphasise.
The car should be a bigger success than what it is now, I believe bulk of the diesel hatchback sales will be concenrated between Ritz, Swift, Vista.