Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 16:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Vasudeva, that was quite a comprehensive spread sheet, Wanted to know some model specific info.
Can you please let us know how is Swift doing compared to its new sibling the Ritz?

Has the Ritz has started really cannibalizing Swifts.
Your statement holds good here. If I were a prospective customer who needs to wait for the Swift hatch for 6 months, I would definitely opt for the Ritz given the 20 days delivery time.

Thank you Vasudeva for the spreadsheet. Quite informative. As someone pointed out before Mahindra had claimed that the Xylo alone had sold 8000 units in July.

Last edited by beejay : 10th August 2009 at 17:05. Reason: Thank you Vasudeva....
Old 10th August 2009, 17:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

thanks Vasudeva!

Maruti's on a roll - a 50% jump in Sedans! i wonder how many SX4s were there in that!

Linea seems to go further downhill, sliding to a new low of 850/month. If it continues, soon it will go down as another flop from FIAT! Lets hope it recovers.

Superb beat Accord! Surprising. In one way its right - its a better car with better features. But then what about service and spares?

Honda back with good sales for City. Civic is in deep trouble with Altis ruling the roost. High time for a revision.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:12   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Maruti's on a roll - a 50% jump in Sedans! i wonder how many SX4s were there in that!
Recently Maruti has upped its capacity for DZire to 7000 units per month. That means SX4 sales may be around 2000 units.

Or, considering an 85% sales for DZire as usual, SX4 sales will be around 1500 units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Linea seems to go further downhill, sliding to a new low of 850/month. If it continues, soon it will go down as another flop from FIAT! Lets hope it recovers.
Same is the case for Hyundai, whose Accent + Verna sales are declining. i20 may be eating up Hyundai's C-segment sales!
Old 10th August 2009, 18:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

A8 beats the 7 and S-class and the A6 beats the E-class and the 5.Pretty good going by Audi.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like the Linea has settled down to 800-900 units. If only Fiat invests more in Marketing the Linea in the newspapers and such.
Punto too will suffer the same fate, and will also settle down at Jazz levels IMO.
Hope Fiat has something in mind.

Quite surprised to see Audi data. They have sold 42 A8s in July, more than that of Mercedes and BMW! Even the sales for the A6 at 90 units seems to be better.
However, the A4 at 26 units is quite sad, or am i being mistaken somewhere?

Quite surprised to see few 7 series sold, as I have spotted 2-3 on the roads already.

Ford sales seem to have improved marginally.

What is interesting to see is that the Premium segments and luxury segment sales have declined y-o-y. Recessionary effects?
Old 10th August 2009, 18:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Altis seems to be doing pretty good after launching their sports variant I suppose. From 500 units in April to 800 units in July!

Also, Audi has sold more than MB and BMW in the premium and luxury segement. Seems like they have a fanbase opening up in here.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:37   #22
oss
BHPian

Right on time; every time. Thanks Vasudeva

ANHC is settling at 3000+ numbers; before Jazz it was around 4000 levels. Hope they do a good job of interiors in the V-MT version and price it well.

Fiat needs to improve the numbers, or else they will soon be in trouble.

Bulk of the Compact segment increase would have come from exports, thanks to the scrappage schemes running in the UK & EU. Now that is has been stopped, we should see these numbers coming down to earlier levels soon.

DZire has single handedly put the Mid-size segment on super growth trajectory. Wonder if the sudden sprut is on account of de-bottlenecking of DDiS production capacity! Any reduction in waiting period for DZire diesel?
Old 10th August 2009, 19:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Bulk of the Compact segment increase would have come from exports, thanks to the scrappage schemes running in the UK & EU. Now that is has been stopped, we should see these numbers coming down to earlier levels soon.
The sales data posted is domestic (India) sales only. Does not exclude export data. The huge increase can be largely attributed to the budget effect. Lesser factor is general improvement in consumer sentiment.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:11   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Also, Audi has sold more than MB and BMW in the premium and luxury segement. Seems like they have a fanbase opening up in here.
I would attribute that to a very well trained staff at their dealerships. They know what Mercedes owners want from their car. Specially the W203 C class and W211 E class owners.
When I went there, the salesperson emphasized on the reliability aspects of these cars v/s Mercedes.

However, I was very impressed with the level of professionalism they had. Small details like putting the brochures in a sealed envelope, with the business card and price list, which was then put into a small carry bag.

Last edited by lamborghini : 10th August 2009 at 19:13.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

I hope the Punto does not go the Linea way. Linea maxed out at 1600 and has settled at 800 odd now. Similarly Punto has started off at 1600. I hope it does not go down to 800 in 3-4 months as well. Aug sales would give an indication of what's in store for Punto.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:39   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Vasudeva thanks for the Analysis. but GTO's Master touch and expert Comments are misisng which makes the analysis a bit dry . could we please have GTO do the Honours ? its like NDTV giving election coverage without the one liners from Dr. Prannoy Roy!
GTO is currently on holiday watching prawns swim by and coconuts falling down. He should be online next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
A8 beats the 7 and S-class and the A6 beats the E-class and the 5.Pretty good going by Audi.
I think these are Q7's which have been recorded as executive cars. If you look at MPV/SUV segment - no sign of Audi mentioned there. Similarly the A6 numbers might be fuzzled with the Q5

Last edited by ajmat : 10th August 2009 at 19:46.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

In a hurry to post, one error has crept in (please pardon). This error has nothing to do with overall figures so need to panic.

The error is in row 163 total` exe, prem, luxury' and does not include newly launched VW and Audi. Will rectify this error next month. Alternative is posting the data again here (MOds can delete the original excel sheet and replace that with this below).
Attached Files
File Type: xls DOMESTIC SALES.xls (326.0 KB, 494 views)
Old 10th August 2009, 20:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Linea is sinking. Look at monthly sales. From a high to 1,600 units in March, sales are now down to 850. June sales were 911 while July sales are at 850. Is it because customer's switched to Punto? Considering Fiat's reputation in India, they should target 40% of City sales for Linea. That means they should be doing 1200-1300 units monthly. Anything less then that spells trouble.
I am not sure whether 911 to 850 is sinking, but it is better than what i had expected (looking at only a handful of Lineas on road). I think even if Fiat consistently sells 800 Lineas for the next 4-5 months, it will do well. People should see sufficient numbers on the road, and the car will sell itself!

Didn't we all expect Jazz to outsell Punto cos of the Honda badge? So all in all, not a bad month for Fiat!
Old 10th August 2009, 22:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
I am not sure whether 911 to 850 is sinking, but it is better than what i had expected (looking at only a handful of Lineas on road). I think even if Fiat consistently sells 800 Lineas for the next 4-5 months, it will do well. People should see sufficient numbers on the road, and the car will sell itself!
From 1600 units in March to 850 in August is a big drop. It's roughly 50% in 5 months! The problem again is absolutely zero marketing of the car. Fiat started with print and TV adverts for a month and after that there is nothing. I see Civic and City adverts from Honda dealers regularly in newspapers. Not a single Tata-Fiat dealer has given out print adverts of Linea and Punto. Regular marketing will sell the car more then what it's doing now. Like I said, Fiat should target 40% of City sales for the Linea. Anything less then that should set off alarm bells. Similar story is repeating for the Punto. There were regular full page print adverts for one week from launch and after that everything's gone quiet. Right now, these cars are selling on word of mouth. By the way, what are the sales of Fiesta and Verna? Is Linea doing better then them?

Quote:
Didn't we all expect Jazz to outsell Punto cos of the Honda badge? So all in all, not a bad month for Fiat!
I still expect Jazz to comfortably outsell Punto. It's too early to predict sales of both these cars. Both of them need to settle down first.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:19   #30
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The sales data posted is domestic (India) sales only. Does not exclude export data. The huge increase can be largely attributed to the budget effect. Lesser factor is general improvement in consumer sentiment.
ok; mistook it for the production figures.

The numbers in the compact & mid-size segment are quite impressive for the domestic market. Pent up demand getting released post-budget
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks