Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:27   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
But for a car that big, wouldn't 90BHP be a tad underpowered?
Even though if the car is underpowered, a diesel Maruthi WILL sell like hot cakes. I happend to see a sales executive at Maruthi, and he was telling about the number of inquiries he was getting for the diesel sx4. It was really surprising.

Now coming to the topic, yeah, like 1100D mentioned, TATA need to inject some life into the steering. Also, if they get the car to handle the 90bhp well, spruce up the interior quality, transfer the instrument console to the drivers side , and price it just like they have done till now, the Vista will surely be one of the main contenders in the 'hot hatch' category. And IMO, that is one segment with a really bright future.

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd October 2010 at 22:28.
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:39   #152
BHPian

Fiat should be out of their mind to give TATA access to the 90bhp engine, the extra bit of power could have been their USP over the Vista. Now, how exactly do they plan to sell the Punto when the Vista standing alongside has the same specifications with more space and less cost.
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:49   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Fiat should be out of their mind to give TATA access to the 90bhp engine, the extra bit of power could have been their USP over the Vista. Now, how exactly do they plan to sell the Punto when the Vista standing alongside has the same specifications with more space and less cost.
It looks like a bleak future for the Fiat-Tata JV looking at the September sales (esp) and Fiat are perhaps giving the JV the push with this 90 HP Vista.

The 90 HP Punto hasnt found too many takers (For which they have only themselves to blame.Poor adverts in general public opinion,poor interiors)
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:24   #154
Senior - BHPian

damn, I thought at least engines would be a differentiator between the fiats and tata hatches, with the 90ps petrol and diesel engines. If the 90ps engine finds its way to the vista, then there is one less point of differentiation. Plus the indica is not exactly a sporty handling hatch. Wonder what two 90bhp hatches would be doing in the tata fiat showrooms. Cannibalization, anyone ?

And this better get all the manza bits like the brake boosters and suspension etc too ( just like they did with the indica turbo).

On a lighter note, I told me parents a year or so back that I would get married when the 90 bhp vista would be launched, since that's the new car I would want to be driven to for the wedding. too soon perhaps ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 2nd October 2010 at 23:28.
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:35   #155
Senior - BHPian

The launch is on 13th October, right after the Aria launch on 11th October

New Tata Indica Vista Quadrajet 90 HP 93 PS Launch 13th October | Autoholiks
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:49   #156
BHPian

Vista gets some lease to compete against other hot diesel hatches. As BHPians predict, 90bhp motor will only provide temporary solution to cut throat competetion. Punto sales may not get disturbed because Punto has many other pluses like excellent ride cum build quality. Whether Swift or SX4 gets the 90bhp punto engine is not the point just now. The point is that newer entrants are comming for eg. Nissan Micra diesel and Figo diesel variants. But overall a brilliant move by Tata.
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:09   #157
Senior - BHPian

would be real insulting for fiat if the vista would churn out better performance than the punto 90hp.
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:25   #158
BHPian

It was a matter of time till this happened. Its quite evident who is benefiting most from the JV. Just hope the Vista 90HP is not quicker than the Punto 90HP.
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:33   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
OT, but I wonder why Maruti didnt get access to the 90 BHP - their SX4 would have sold like hot cakes ?
If they do that, won't do they have to do major changes to suspension? I hear the body roll is so much that kids seated in the rear seat tend to vomit on highway drives! (heard this from an SX4 owner)!

On Indica, I feel this will make it really good, but with the onslaught of so many "firang" hatchbacks, vista is not getting its due. I fell, it is among the most undervalued hatches of current times (the cab image is also to be blamed partly).
Old 3rd October 2010, 05:29   #160
BHPian

Excellent News. 90 HP both in Petrol ( as per sidindica) & Diesel.

Most probably the specs should be same as supplied to SA. Tata Motors International : Products : TATA Indica Vista

Fiat must have thought its easier to sell engines than cars. As they must be making better money supplying Engines & assemblying Tata cars, than selling Fiat Cars.
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:02   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

I first thought this was a parallel thrad to the petrol 90 BHP, but seems that there's more to it, the simple combo of good diesel FE and power is irresistable.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:52   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
would be real insulting for fiat if the vista would churn out better performance than the punto 90hp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
It was a matter of time till this happened. Its quite evident who is benefiting most from the JV. Just hope the Vista 90HP is not quicker than the Punto 90HP.
ACI figures:
  • vista QJD 1.3 FGT 75 PS=16.36 seconds 0-100.
  • punto VGT 90 HP=16.21 seconds 0-100.
Now you decide.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:30   #163
Senior - BHPian

I guess the Vista 90 will be a lot better to drive than the Punto 90 as we have seen in past with Fiat messing up their own engines in their own cars. Wonder whats the reluctance of Fiat to offer better tuned versions of its engines in its own cars or is it just that the archaic gear box and the weight of their cars blunts all the performance.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:14   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
ACI figures:
  • vista QJD 1.3 FGT 75 PS=16.36 seconds 0-100.
  • punto VGT 90 HP=16.21 seconds 0-100.
Now you decide.
Sid, so are they launching both the 90 BHPs - Petrol and Diesel?

What would be the rise in price for these over the current variants?
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:23   #165
BHPian

But I think the marutis would not get the 90 hp Multijet. I have read somewhere that the marutis will be switching to VW engines.The vista will be having better performance than punto because of its lighter body
Closed Thread

Most Viewed