Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2009, 22:55   #61
Team-BHP Support

The vista in yellow is looking awesome. Only wish if Tata could have dropped the Indica name.
Old 14th August 2009, 00:38   #62
BHPian

Why can't we Indians be proud of Indica ?

Germans can be proud of Beetle, French can be proud of 2CV, Italians can be proud of 500, British can be proud of Mini,but some among us have contempt for our very own desi car, either for its design or its name.

Some wanted a completely radical design with the brand name of Indica, other want(ed) evolutionary design with different name. Some have problem with design, others have issue with the name.

What is wrong with either ?

1) Is the design ugly ?
2) Is the brand name not good enough ?

Indica happens to be one of the largest selling car, even the vista sells very well and the Indica brand is quite strong, why should Tata abandon the brand name of a car which rescued the Tata Sons ? And when people have bought so many generation 1 Indicas, doesn't that mean that they like the DNA of the car ? And that is why like other car companies of the world, Tata kept the Brand name and Brand DNA in the new car, they played safe.

And IMVHO they were very wise to do so, imagine if they would have esitole'ed the new Indica ?

Indica was a very practical car, so is Vista. And that is why it will find enough buyers.

If some don't like Indica just because its name and / or design is too common, then i guess Indica is victim of its own success and Tata have no option but to try to market this car to less narrow minded people.

/sorry for the rant, this is simply my opinion.
Old 14th August 2009, 00:44   #63
Senior - BHPian

^Totally agree with you there. Indica is a strong brand and Tata Motor's first passenger car brand. It's only natural for them to keep the brand alive.

Moreover, we recognize Indica as the First Indian Car. Personally, I don't want this brand to die, not so soon at least!

Last edited by safari_lover : 14th August 2009 at 00:47.
Old 14th August 2009, 01:33   #64
BHPian

@anmol
This is an inherent innate and a subtle inferiority complex which is present in our culture.
Nowhere else in the world do you have people[generalizing] looking down upon themselves and mentioning "our mentality" a.k.a "indian mentality".

This is the best country to be born in,the most superior culture developed to attain liberation yet we cant just stop being "inspired" by the west,who are interested in putting flesh into flesh,alcohol and behaving like animals in human form,generally.

Watch these

YouTube - veda science

Back to the bhp's
On topic-- this car will eat into punto,as it is its a fiat.
They have gotten it almost right,the tata guys with this package,and hopefully will improve further.
Old 14th August 2009, 09:00   #65
BHPian

Agree !!!

Indica is a strong brand and why should Tata's abandon it ?
Infact Indi(xx) is an apt name for model series.

And the NANO, well has almost become a cult Indi brand for them.
Old 14th August 2009, 09:29   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Can we have this from Tata?
Thats a cool looking hothatch, and good job sidindica.

Why dont you paint the roof black and re-post it.

If TATA's seeing this, the Vista sure is gonna look more hotter than ever.

And in yellow with black roof, OMG that's a killer combo.
Old 14th August 2009, 09:48   #67
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep Vista in Yellow looks like the mean bad boy, the alloys are georgeous. A spoiler would do just fine and then with a remap taking this beyound 100Bhp we are set to go in a hot hatch (by Indian standards.)

Honestly this is the car I would buy my wife if the mark up over the Safire 1.2 Aura is to 1.4 Ignis (with 2 airbags, alloys, audio controls on stearing, and 1.4 engine is about 85K- to a max of 1L)

They would loose out on govt benifits due to size crossing 1.2 Lrs for the engine..

Many would salivate for such a car.
Old 14th August 2009, 11:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

I was at the Tata-Fiat dealer yesterday to pick up my Punto's RC card. The dealer said that first Tata are going to launch a limited edition Indigo CS. He showed me some of the features on a powerpoint sent by Tata. The extra's include:

- Fake wood finish center console.
- Sporty aluminium drilled pedals.
- Electric adjust driver's seat.
- Not sure but I think it will come with a spoiler too.

I am not interested in Tata cars so I didn't go through all the slides.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:43   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Only wish if Tata could have dropped the Indica name.
There is absolutely no point in doing that.

1> The guys who have appreciated the Indica's ruggedness, economy, space, and incredible back seat comfort will be happy to buy an 'Indica' Vista that this time comes with all the right stuff like superb engine and gearbox.

2> The guys who are on the fence but who are practical and look for value for money will buy whatever makes sense to them and will make mostly rational decisions not swayed by whether the car is called Indica or America

3> That leaves the third category, the snobs and people who turn their noses up at anything not inspired from 'foreign'. Its mostly those folks who keep whining about the taxi image etc.

The latter will not be seen dead in a Tata car regardless of what it is named or even if Tata goes out and buys back all the Taxis, so what is the point of trying to please them.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Am not getting in the Indica taxi debate again but yes i agree the name should not die and am proud of the fact it being an Indian car.
Now if only we get the colors like the yellow and the one posted by Sid i am sure Vista will attract many young enthusiastic buyers.
Anyone listening from TATA?
Old 14th August 2009, 14:26   #71
BHPian

Is the yellow Indica posted in the earlier post have rear disk brakes? Wud be glad if some 1 could clarify!
Old 14th August 2009, 18:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Is the yellow Indica posted in the earlier post have rear disk brakes? Wud be glad if some 1 could clarify!
No, it a drum at rear, In one of the picture it looks like a bigger disk, but it is a white background /floor. As long as the break performs with its peers it is acceptable.

Can some one change the thread heading to "Vista Ignis - ABS, Airbags, Blue & Me & 1.4l"

Sidindica! When are they launching Ignis?
Old 14th August 2009, 20:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

1> The guys who have appreciated the Indica's ruggedness, economy, space, and incredible back seat comfort will be happy to buy an 'Indica' Vista that this time comes with all the right stuff like superb engine and gearbox.

2> The guys who are on the fence but who are practical and look for value for money will buy whatever makes sense to them and will make mostly rational decisions not swayed by whether the car is called Indica or America

3> That leaves the third category, the snobs and people who turn their noses up at anything not inspired from 'foreign'. Its mostly those folks who keep whining about the taxi image etc.

The latter will not be seen dead in a Tata car regardless of what it is named or even if Tata goes out and buys back all the Taxis, so what is the point of trying to please them.

Chncar,

You hve summarised it pretty well. Indica is very strong brand. It may not be very popular witjh the image conscious Metro dwellers, but go to BHARAT and it sells like hell.

As far as the image is concerned even Honda and Toyota have had to some problems. That is the reason why Toyota Sells its luxury cars under the Lexus brand and Honda under the Acura brand .

It is a part of the evolution. Back in te 60' s & 70's the Honda's and Toyota's were eidiculed in USA and Europe. The same was the case with Hyundai till about 3-4 years ago.

However with continuous improvement in their products and the sales and service, the Japanes brands have established themselves and Hyundai is getting there.

Tata Motors needs to keep working hard. I am sure in the next 10 years the very same people who mock the Tata/Indica brand, will be proud of them.
Old 14th August 2009, 20:30   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Now that they are launching a new engine in the car, how about a new hot shade to compliment the ferrari red that they have.

Source TATA motors international website:
Seriously OT
Can anyone have more details about the white color grand safari displayed at the backside.
Old 14th August 2009, 20:34   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post

Why can't we Indians be proud of Indica ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

Ridiculous comments. Never did I mention that I do not like Indica or I would love to see the brand killed. What I tried to say is that Indica and Indica Vista are completely different cars and it would have been better if Tata had named the car differently to show that. I work for a Tata company and am extremely proud of of whatever Tata has done. This is a public forum and I am entitled to give my opinion. Such rant or sudden show of patriotism is uncalled for.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks