Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:09   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Great move by TATA to get access to the 90BHP engine for the Vista Hatch. But on the other hand, for the division of FIAT cars, its the dumb move by FIAT.

Cannibalization will be even more than the current situation. The sole benefit reaped is by TATA in this JV.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:32   #167
Senior - BHPian

Its still not confirmed whether the 90ps will be in petrol or diesel versions but large probablity is favoured towards petrol, launch is for sure soon. Will be updated soon when Mr. A. gets the info.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:55   #168
BHPian

Hopefully they'll get the gear ratios correct, unlike Fiat.
Glad to see India's finally getting some hot hatches. Was hoping for machines upwards of 100 BHP (only Polo 1.6 and the Palio 1.6 till date), but I'm sure we'll get there eventually.
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:34   #169
BHPian

IMO vista woth 90 bhp ABS and airbag will be a great family hot hatch
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:48   #170
BHPian

All that i have to say is that around 6 months when i was looking for a new hatch I was sorely tempted by the Punto. The fact that most of my driving is in the city + horrible strategies of FIAT in engine + TATA *** made me settle for the Figo. This decision of FIAT to give the 90BHP to the TATAs just tells me that i made the right decision then. To prospective customers of FIAT Buy a FIAT car at your own risk. I don't see FIAT having any kind of long term commitment to become a market leader in cars in india.

This is good news for the indian customer though . Tata might give us a Vista with some tweaks to the handling/looks which would be the best hot hatch in india.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 3rd October 2010 at 16:50.
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:55   #171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Fiat must have thought its easier to sell engines than cars. As they must be making better money supplying Engines & assemblying Tata cars, than selling Fiat Cars.
How about selling handling / steering know how?
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:12   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Exactly what I had in mind. If they can pick up the art of making a car handle beautifully from FIAT, they will have a winner in their hands!
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:14   #173
BHPian

Vista != Punto

Quote:
Precisely ! The Vista's not really about handling or feedback, the steering is vague, the suspension soft, & car understeers like nobody's business. The VGT on the Vista is still lipstick on a you-know-what. The first real corner you arrive at speed in the 90 BHP Vista, you're going to wish it was a Punto
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:01   #174
BHPian

Quote:
The Tata Vista 90 BHP with Fiats level of Handling and Stability. Now that's a nice car.

Let just hope Fiat doesn't try selling them advice on transmissions or interior quality.
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:18   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Exactly what I had in mind. If they can pick up the art of making a car handle beautifully from FIAT, they will have a winner in their hands!
Simple, pick up a FIAT car, re-badge it & sell it as TATA. This I guess should garner more sales.
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:35   #176
BHPian

Gee looks like the vista with the VGT engine has upset quite a lot of Fiat fanboys! :P

Jokes apart , Ive heard that TATA has hired the services of a couple of professionals to improve the performance of the car with respect to the handling and power delivery characteristics. Infact to quote the source in his own words " to bring performance upto swifts level in terms of handling" . Now the source is from the auto industry and quite a senior person. Im led to believe its true but heck an Indica handling like a swift. Now that is going to be serious fun!! But then again this might just be another rumour.so till we have the car on the roads treat this as a rumour..

Cheers!
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:42   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
All that i have to say is that around 6 months when i was looking for a new hatch I was sorely tempted by the Punto. The fact that most of my driving is in the city + horrible strategies of FIAT in engine + TATA *** made me settle for the Figo. This decision of FIAT to give the 90BHP to the TATAs just tells me that i made the right decision then. To prospective customers of FIAT Buy a FIAT car at your own risk. I don't see FIAT having any kind of long term commitment to become a market leader in cars in india.

This is good news for the indian customer though . Tata might give us a Vista with some tweaks to the handling/looks which would be the best hot hatch in india.
Frankly I cant really understand what the fuss is all about simply because the Punto and Vista customer base is entirely different. Someone with Punto in mind would never ever buy the Indica Vista and vice versa.
The real reason for launching the 90 hp as far I can see is the hot selling Ford Figo which retails for the same price as Indica Vista. The launch of the Figo hasnt effected Swift or i20's sales, its the Indica sales which seems to have suffered.
Old 3rd October 2010, 19:10   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
forget the tuning know how, tata suspension components dont seem to last much ( not sure if it has to do with the spotty QA), And most manza/vista owners are already complaining of noises from the suspension , which TASC's are not able to fix.
steering is actually not that bad. even the first gen indica and the vista have decent HPS's which provide a lot more feel than the ones in the Swift/Polo

Last edited by greenhorn : 3rd October 2010 at 19:13.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:15   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth_benz View Post
Gee looks like the vista with the VGT engine has upset quite a lot of Fiat fanboys! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Frankly I cant really understand what the fuss is all about simply because the Punto and Vista customer base is entirely different.
LoL, I drive a Punto but I totally agree with both of you. I guess I am not a Fiat fanboy yet

First of all, let us congratulate Tata for constantly upgrading their products. Secondly, wish Fiat all the best for their (so far successful) efforts to position the 1.3 MJD engine as their cash cow.

I am not going to commit suicide for being overtaken by a Vista VGT. I know what I am driving and I enjoy every moment of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I don't see FIAT having any kind of long term commitment to become a market leader in cars in india.
Fiat is never going to become a volume market leader. It is a niche market player and it will remain so. It is not a "market leader in cars" but the Punto is the "leading car in the market" at this moment when you consider handling/safety/dynamics/looks.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 3rd October 2010 at 22:23.
Old 4th October 2010, 00:29   #180
Senior - BHPian

There isnt a need for 90 BHP engine for Vista . I mean , in early stages , I used to see more Tdi on road than QUADRA . But now QUADRA'S too are doing well and its suits the car perfectly . + 90 BHP wont be cheap .

BTW , I seriously hope and pray , that a T-jet MANZA isn't in the pipeline !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks