Team-BHP - Opel Vectra in GM Lab
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Opel Vectra in GM Lab (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/63508-opel-vectra-gm-lab.html)

Hello,

Yesterday evening, happened to spot a Black Opel Vectra moving in GM Lab (ITPL) in bangalore. Does this mean that GM is trying to understand Vectra's features and integrating into Cruze. Just speculating, can it be true. I have a Picture taken from Mobile. Will post it the moment I upload it to system (By EOD today).

Isn't Vectra dead long ago? Its an Old design and Cruze much modern, much sophisticated.

In Vectra's favour, all I would say was that its pricing was wrong though it was loaded to the core.

Vectra technically is no more a GM brand it has been sold to Magna which now owns Vauxhall and Opel. Also Vectra has been discountinued in Europe, its main market and been replaced by the Insignia - an awesome looking car.

Vectra was the best as far as looks and features were concerned.The only iceberg which sank it was its pricing and high cost of spares.I was looking for a used one before I settled for my safari

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1430633)
Vectra technically is no more a GM brand it has been sold to Magna which now owns Vauxhall and Opel. Also Vectra has been discountinued in Europe, its main market and been replaced by the Insignia - an awesome looking car.

Sold to Magna? Last I heard , bids were still being evaluated

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1430665)
Sold to Magna? Last I heard , bids were still being evaluated

I had read it in ET that Magna was chosen amongst the three bidders BBC NEWS | Business | GM receives three bids for Opel but again I might be wrong

The sale of Opel/Vauxhall is still undergoing. GM prefers to sell to RHJI a Belgian investment firm and still stay linked to Opel/Vauxhall. This is very important for GM, otherwise loosing Opel/Vauxhall means having next to zilch presence in Europe, the only left over remains would be the negligible Chevrolet sales.
The German Govt. instead wants to sell Opel/Vauxhall to Magna since that bid is backed by Russian interests, with whom the German Govt. has close relations. But it also means that Opel/Vauxhall being a seperate entity not related to the American parent, something GM wont agree to.
Coming back to the point about the Vectra. Gm launched the Vectra with the notoriously unreliable 2.2 engine, this engine has regular problems with its fuel pumps. That said the build quality of the car was very impressive.
The Cruze does not compete with the Vectra, instead it falls in the same segment as the Astra/Civic/Corolla, Its actually based on an Astra platform. Against the likes of the Accord/Vectra(now Insignia) Chevrolet has the Epica.
Now heres the funny part, the cheapest Civic in the UK (1.4, hatchback) starts at £14,950, a far more loaded 2.0 ltr. Epica (Accord sized sedan) is actually cheaper at £14,260 :Shockked:.
It doesnt end there, the base Cruze (1.6 Sedan) starts from £9.995, which makes it more than 30% cheaper than the Civic.
So by theory, if the Civic starts at approx. 11 lacs in India, the Cruze should be around 8 lacs :). Lets see what GMI does.

here is the picture i was speaking about. Pardon me for the bad photo quality.

What a car the Vectra was ! Way ahead of its time and the pricing too :)

For looks, the Vectra Kills any sub 20 Lakh car even today...:thumbs up

Well coudnt it be just an employees car?

ITPL, Bangalore has separate parkings for employee vehicles. The place this car was, could be transported using a lorry alone. There is no Ramp for the car to climb where this was. You will have to climb minimum of 10 steps to reach that levels, hope that gives a sense of height which i am speaking off....

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal (Post 1430303)
Hello,

Yesterday evening, happened to spot a Black Opel Vectra moving in GM Lab (ITPL) in bangalore. Does this mean that GM is trying to understand Vectra's features and integrating into Cruze. Just speculating, can it be true. I have a Picture taken from Mobile. Will post it the moment I upload it to system (By EOD today).

Indeed right ,there are some rumors (confirmed by some insiders in gm) on the petrol cruze version are going to share the same block as the vectra although it might be tuned down and wont be a 2.2.

P.S i fail to understand why people are saying it has an unreliable engine. i have had the car for a long time. its my daily car and it still surprises me of how reliable she is. i haven't spent any big bucks on her and as they say you cant compare the service price of a 17 lakh car to a 5 lakh car:D

back in 2006 I was getting a 2nd hand Vactra (6000kms odd) for 5.5 lakhs. Teh owner had some 19 cars (including Mercs, Beamers and Mustang too and was selling it off since he did not use it much. the car was loaded and was a decent drive too. Cost of spares put me off.

Wish I had the guts to buy that then. BTW a lot of petrol engines are being studied so that the same can be incorporated with Cruze. The Vectra motor is not one of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suprateep (Post 1770683)
back in 2006 I was getting a 2nd hand Vactra (6000kms odd) for 5.5 lakhs. Teh owner had some 19 cars (including Mercs, Beamers and Mustang too and was selling it off since he did not use it much. the car was loaded and was a decent drive too. Cost of spares put me off.

Wish I had the guts to buy that then. BTW a lot of petrol engines are being studied so that the same can be incorporated with Cruze. The Vectra motor is not one of them.

well buddy i wouldn't mind if u still have the guys number with the beemers and the stang.:D

As for the vectra block, its an inside news from a pretty reliable source.He is one of the guys working on the block infact if i am not wrong. surprised me too.