Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2005, 13:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

i dont think the launch of the matiz will help GM in anyway unless they launch it at the maruti 800 level ...

any news on the Aveo powerplant ? are they going to carry the 1.6L 115 bhp one they have in north america ? that'll really be something to look forward to !
Old 2nd July 2005, 13:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
i dont think the launch of the matiz will help GM in anyway unless they launch it at the maruti 800 level ...

any news on the Aveo powerplant ? are they going to carry the 1.6L 115 bhp one they have in north america ? that'll really be something to look forward to !
The Aveo is sold here with a 1.5 litre, 4 cylinder motor developing 83 bhp.

It will probably sell in India with the Corsa's 1.4 litre motor to keep costs down. Dont expect any scorchers, since

(1)it will drive up costs
and
(2)they will have lousy fuel economy, which is a make-or-break criteria for vehicles sold in India
Old 2nd July 2005, 16:18   #18
BHPian

Even i saw this at electronic city intersection towards Shipra sun city. Though i was at the other side of road, it was pretty hard to identify the striped car.

If they launch with corsa's 1.4 litre engine, i doubt they will have the F.E factor in check here.

Tarun
Old 2nd July 2005, 16:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun
If they launch with corsa's 1.4 litre engine, i doubt they will have the F.E factor in check here.
If the Corsa's engine is thirsty, I guess they will go for one of the Daewoo engines. I'm not sure if the 1.5 litre 83 bhp engine sold here is of Daewoo origin, but it just might be from the Kalos or the Lanos.

Its a nice car for that price and competes well against the Toyota Echo (a.k.a Yaris in other market) here. However fuel efficiency is not a major criteria in this market.
Old 2nd July 2005, 16:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

how fuel efficient do you thing the B+ segment cars are? maybe our swift /getz owners can help us on that .. 12-13 kmpl ?

i have owned a corsa 1.4 for while ..it returns a consistent 12 with A/c ..i have never been unhappy with its FE figures..

Quote:
The Aveo is sold here with a 1.5 litre, 4 cylinder motor developing 83 bhp.
steeroid - where are you located ?? i cant figure out what DXB-COK-BLR means ..
i checked this time- Aveo has a 1.6L 103bhp motor in north america..

It is set replace the Corsa in early '06 and the saloon will be available in both 1.4 and 1.6L e-tec engines ..otherwise it is in direct competition withthe sail and the corsa ..

source - (http://news.techwhack.com/1311/30050...indian-market/)
Old 2nd July 2005, 16:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
steeroid - where are you located ?? i cant figure out what DXB-COK-BLR means ..
i checked this time- Aveo has a 1.6L 103bhp motor in north america..
DXB - Dubai
COK - Cochin
BLR - Bangalore

All airline codes.

Aveo may have a 1.6 Litre mtor in North America, but they get their oil from Texas, Alaska and Iraq...what they cant make there they buy from the chaps here, so FE not a major criteria in either of these markets.

We in India import about 70% or more of our requirement and our government is not adventurous enough to invade a few oil-rich countries for a regime change. If only Zimbabwe had some oil...

Therefore we need a hatchback that delivers on the FE front. Else its doomed.
Old 2nd July 2005, 19:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

The 1.6 is the same engine found in the Optra. They may detune it a little bit or debore it to a 1.5
Old 5th July 2005, 12:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Aveo will have the Etec II 1.6L Optra engine ...with a power to weight ratio of 100bhp/tonne!!
highest in its class ?
I had this misconception that the Optra 1.6 mill was borrowed from the Corsa/Sail 1.6 ..the Optra 1.6 is a Daewoo built engine..

Most Viewed