Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 17:28   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
As a resident of Delhi for almost all my life, perhaps very few people would have any sympathy for the auto-rickshaw drivers. Nearly all either refuse or do not charge by the meter. Sad that only CWG has forced the authorities to open their eyes and make a half hearted effort. The number of rickshaws are far in excess of what is licenced. To see their driving habits (driving at 40 kmph in the far right lane, two rickshaws driving side by side with the rear rickshaw using the front rickshaw as a foot rest) is to lose any sympathy for them.
+1 to that..
I relocated to Delhi NCR after a hiatus of about 3.5 years and the very first day I was on road looking for a rick at Andheria Mor to go to MSM Okhla to pick my car. Approached one of the 2 autos parked by the roadside, and conveniently they asked for Rs. 120 at 10 a.m. in the morning. Went to the other one, and was told that fare would be the same as what first auto-wallah had mentioned.. Meters aren't working, you wanna ride, shut up and pay up, else wait in sweltering heat (this was on 3rd July).
In order to give these jokers a piece of my mind, I approached the traffic cop who was standing about 20 meters away and told him the incident. He asked me to follow him to the ricks, gave them choicest of adjectives, and both of them had their tails properly tucked between you know where
Cop made me sit in one of the autos and ordered him to take me wherever I wanted to go, and made a note of the registration number in his diary. This joker obviously had no choice but to comply..
Not all auto-wallahs are like the scoundrels I mentioned above, but the exceptions are too few and too far..
Seriously, such guys need to be rounded up and given some piece of mind for only 10 minutes once in 7 days by cops so that they know what is expected of them.
Agreed they are poor blokes out there to make a living, but aren't there honest ways to earn money? And no, I am not having holier than thou attitude here, it holds good for everyone including yours truly!
Old 17th August 2009, 17:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
I do ardently wish that the army brings in 3 battle tanks and deputes them across Delhi. Failure of the rickshaws to move after warning would mean automatic permission for the tanks to drive over them. Boy O Boy would I not mind getting stuck in traffic if that was happenin!
That would be one sensible solution. There are perhaps 2-3% of Delhi autorick. drivers who are honest. But perhaps they would be away from this mess, and so would be spared from this solution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks