Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 22:50   #151
Team-BHP Support

Man they removed my fav colour, the purple one. The civic looked the best in that purple IMO.

Also what is this ECO meter? It says it is an avg. fuel consumption indicator. Where is it located and what info does it show?
Old 8th September 2009, 23:02   #152

@mkc15: How is the diff between Altis GL and V-MT 58k? It is more like 90k (GL = 12.19 and V-MT = 13.10 ex-pune)

Let me put this in a different light (Prices are ex-pune and source is respective company websites)

a. Top end manual versions of both:
----------------------------------
Civic V-MT = 13.10
Altis GL = 12.19
-------------------
Civic more expensive by 90k.

Still, GL has below features NOT present in V-MT:
HID headlamps
Auto headlamp levelling
Automatic Headlamps
Whiplash injury lessening seats
6CD audio
Audio controls on steering wheel
8 way power driver seats
Powered lumbar support
Powered seat height adjust
Rear Sunshade

However, V-MT does have cruise control

b. Altis GL and Civic S-MT:
-------------------------
Civic S-MT = 12.17
Altis GL = 12.19
--------------------------
Prices same.

Still, GL has all features indicated above that are (obviously) NOT present in S-MT PLUS
Turn Signals on OVRM
Chrome door handles, side moulding etc
Leather seats

c. Altis G and Civic S-MT
------------------------
Civic S-MT = 12.17
Altis G = 10.94
-----------------------
Civic more expensive by 123k.

Still, G has below features NOT present in S-MT:
Fog Lamps
6CD audio
Turn Signals on OVRM
Chrome door handles, side moulding.

Other advantages of Altis are well known but let me repeat for completeness sake :
1. Toyota scores in service backup. I recently visited both Honda and Toyota showrooms and boy, the difference is telling.

2. Fuel efficiency - Altis almost 10% better.

3, For the Civic, the engine is a redeeming feature, but that too manifests itself at high rpms. Altis in fact has a better ride at low rpms, typically during most of one's drive in the city.

What has changed siginificantly in S-MT to warrant a rise of 25k?
To me, Honda's pricing just looks inexplicable especially given Civic's dismal sales in the past months. Surely it is the underdog now!

Even if Honda had retained the earlier pricing with this new civic, I doubt if it could've taken the fight to the Altis. And with the price revision, it just becomes a no-brainer.

Honda has not addressed the main problem - suspension issues and competition.

I just hope this does not embolden Toyota to raise the price of Altis.
But then here comes Chevy Cruze...if their diesel is priced same as Altis, that will be wonderful for us customers
Old 8th September 2009, 23:42   #153
BHPian

I read the whole thread and would like to correct some who said that Civic SMT VMT has cruise control.
As a matter of fact Cruise control is not possible with MT.
Honda Car India :: Civic
Click on Civic 1.8 VMT....
It clearly says Cruise control in AT.

Although this Honda Car India :: Civic may again create confusion..
and so does the press release..Honda Car India : Press Releases

Anyways basic requirement of cruise control is AT. without that its not possible..
Old 8th September 2009, 23:47   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post

Anyways basic requirement of cruise control is AT. without that its not possible..
really? since when? there are many mt cars that have cruise control including the scorpio.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:16   #155
BHPian

Well I dont know about Cruise Control in MT cars, I have never heard of it.
However as a feature it is of hardly any use in India. My Altis AT has it and I have tried using it but had to remain more alert during the use. Honda is trying to befool innocent customersby glorifying this feature.

Adding to the Autoluv's list of Altis advantages, Altis also has a remote control for its music system which can be used from any where in the back seat.

Sorry to say but I dont find any thing great in the upgrade and I think that Honda bosses are hell bent on digging their own grave.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:21   #156
BHPian

Quote:
watch before you leap budy. no such requirement. Scorpio has it on the MT. really does not make any difference. as long as you have clear road and desire to keep the speed constant AT/MT doesnot matter for cruise control.

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 9th September 2009 at 00:23.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:24   #157
Team-BHP Support

Not to mention Altis G, GL and VL variants have auto dimming mirrors, headlamp washers, courtesy lights on front doors and full MID controlled from steering wheel.

Another small feature is not advertised as much is the LED tail lamps. Pretty neat looking and bright as hell.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:24   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda Octavia L&K has Cruice Control with M/T.
Old 9th September 2009, 06:58   #159
BHPian

Finally announced- the "new" Civic

As correctly predicted by sidindica , the new civic was announced yesterday!
The Hindu : Business News : Honda launches new Civic

"...priced between Rs. 11.80 lakh and Rs. 13.44 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)"

How much of a price rise is that?

I don't fell so bad now buying my "old" civic which will be going for its 1st service this week!
Attached Thumbnails
City gets some Civic sense, Civic gets a new sense.-new_honda_civic.jpg  

Old 9th September 2009, 08:17   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Skoda Octavia L&K has Cruice Control with M/T.
Honda Car India : Press Releases

Honda website is updated with details of New Honda Civic.
Old 9th September 2009, 09:13   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoluv View Post
@mkc15: How is the diff between Altis GL and V-MT 58k? It is more like 90k (GL = 12.19 and V-MT = 13.10 ex-pune)
I was comparing the top end variants(GL vs V-MT) from both with Bangalore prices, which are 1,223,141 for 1.8GL vs. 1,281,000 for Civic 1.8V MT (from their websites). So it is ~58K.

Ofcourse as I said earlier, the price difference is quite considerable. But my point is, with Civic AT having a 5-speed-paddle-shift gearbox, the difference for AT models is not so much as for the MTs. If one thinks 4-speed AT is good enough, then the price difference appears surely huge.
Old 9th September 2009, 09:28   #162
BHPian

Looks like the new engine gives about 15kmpl. Thats a quantum jump from the previous civics which I guess gave about 8kmpl. The new 1.8 L i-VTEC engine combines Honda’s i-VTEC (Intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) technology with VTC (Variable Time Control) to deliver powerful performance and superior fuel economy. The i-VTEC regulates the opening of air-fuel intake valves and exhaust valves in accordance with engine speeds.
If the figures are true its an awesome figure for that segment

Honda Siel launches new Civic- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 9th September 2009, 09:40   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by askicode View Post
Looks like the new engine gives about 15kmpl. Thats a quantum jump from the previous civics which I guess gave about 8kmpl. The new 1.8 L i-VTEC engine combines Honda’s i-VTEC (Intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) technology with VTC (Variable Time Control) to deliver powerful performance and superior fuel economy. The i-VTEC regulates the opening of air-fuel intake valves and exhaust valves in accordance with engine speeds.
If the figures are true its an awesome figure for that segment

Honda Siel launches new Civic- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
I dont think there is any change in engine or Fuel injection mechanism. It is just another scam by using the ARAI figures which is performed under strict test conditions.
Old 9th September 2009, 09:53   #164
Senior - BHPian

Here is the official Press Release from Honda Siel Cars

Quote:
HSCI Launches the Sportier and More Aggressive New Honda Civic

Kick starts the “Festive Season” with New Civic

New Delhi, September 8, 2009: Honda Siel Cars India, leading manufacturer of premium cars in India, today launched the new Honda Civic with aesthically designed new looks.

The new Honda Civic further augments the style quotient of the globally successful and India’s most loved LD segment car - the Honda Civic. It is an excellent combination of new-age and sporty design and aggressive appeal together with the cutting-edge technology and refined engine.

The new Civic juxtaposes Honda’s advanced technology with striking design. The new Curved 5 Point Metallic Front Grille and restyled Front Sporty Bumper add to a pulsating and aggressive appeal of the car. The introduction of stylized Dark Smokey Headlights & Crystalline Octagonal Tail Lights enhance the contemporary look of the car.

The new Honda Civic comes with more exclusive features that make it an even more desirable sedan. In line with the preferences of the customers, the audio system of the new Civic comes equipped with a USB port together with the CD player. The intelligent fuel economy indicator introduced in the new Honda Civic will enable the customers to achieve the good fuel efficiency.

New Civic will be available in 3 variants – SMT, VMT & VAT. Honda civic will have an additional color option Polished Metal along with the existing colors available in the range.

The new Civic SMT comes with two tone luxury high quality fabric seats with matching fabric on door panels & armrest. Honda Civic VMT & VAT comes with a steering mounted cruise control system that helps to cruise at the desired speed with one touch operation. It also comes with a new sporty fog light with garnish and newly designed alloy wheel.

Additionally, all the variants will be available in 2 attractive types – Elegance and Inspire.

The 1.8 L i-VTEC engine in the new Honda Civic is the most advanced engine technology available in the segment. It combines Honda’s i-VTEC (Intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) technology with VTC (Variable Time Control), delivering both powerful performance and superior fuel economy. The i-VTEC regulates the opening of air-fuel intake valves and exhaust valves in accordance with engine speeds. By regulating valve opening to match engine speed, the agile i-VTEC engine adjusts its characteristics to realize both superior power and low fuel consumption. With i-VTEC engine technology, Honda is working to ensure environmental responsibility while delivering driving pleasure.

The ARAI fuel efficiency results of 15.5 km/l for Civic MT reiterates its unmatched fuel economy. In line with Honda’s mission to reduce its environment footprint, the new Honda Civic is E10 compatible and has Euro IV emission levels.

Safety of passengers and pedestrians is a top priority for Honda and all safety equipment is standard across all variants. The Honda Civic comes fully loaded with various active and passive safety features including ABS (Anti – Lock braking system) with EBD (Electronic Brake – Force Distribution System) & Brake Assist, Dual SRS airbags and pre-tensioner seat belts. Honda’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering Body (ACE) and G-CON (G-Force Control Technology) provide a high integrity survival zone that enhances self-protection and better compatibility in collisions with other vehicles.
E10 compatible and has EIV emission levels.
Launched in 2006, the Honda Civic redefined the lower D segment of passenger car segment in India. This segment witnessed unprecedented sales soon after the launch of the Honda Civic. HSCI has sold over 42,000 units in just over 3 years. Honda Civic has won 10 automobile awards including the Indian Car of the Year (ICOTY) 2007. It was also winner of the JD Power Initial Quality Study in its very 1st year with the best ever score in the Industry.

Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Masahiro Takedagawa, President and CEO, Honda Siel Cars India Ltd. said, “The Honda Civic is a segment defining product both in terms of looks and performance. The new Honda Civic carries forward the legacy of the Civic which is already the most refined and advanced car in the segment.”

Bookings for the new Honda Civic will start immediately at the company’s distribution network of 106 authorised dealership facilities, across the country. This network is likely to go up to 112 facilities by the end of the current financial year.

The all Honda Civic comes with a 2+2 year warranty and 24-hr roadside assistance as standard value for all new Civic buyers.

Price of the New Honda Civic (Ex showroom -Delhi)

Honda Civic SMT: 11.8 lakh
Honda Civic VMT: 12.7 lakh
Honda Civic VAT: 13.44 lakh
Old 9th September 2009, 09:55   #165
Senior - BHPian

Guess we should not expect much from a mid-size facelift, but this is perhaps not enough to provide a permanent spark to Civic sales. has the price been increased. I read Honda is now giving an accessories package.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks