Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 17:34   #196
BANNED

to register a civic in bombay with andheri RTO costs 215000. this is the tax amount. india needs to get a life. no wonder people with super cars drive HR and NL cars and i dont blame them really. the point is not they charge according to engine size. the charge for city is 151000. prices are company ofcourse and i have to buy company i have to pay these kind of dumb prices. not that i get awesome special roads to drive on.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:43   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Any thoughts as to how much incremental sales Civic will achieve with the new features and the new price.
I think Civic sales will rise by max. 15-20% but for 2-3 months only. It will again fall back to current levels as the car is low on features and not worth the price.

I had evaluated 2nd gen City on 2007. Found the car bare bones and expensive and told the sales man accordingly. He told me grandly that Honda is king. I told him yes but only as long as there is no worthy competition. The same thing is happening today. Their models are being trounced by newer and better cars.

Honda seriously need to review its policy of 'Least features for maximum price' else they will become an 'also ran' Indian customers have become more choosy due to wider availability of cars.
Old 10th September 2009, 19:21   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
that photo was taken by me in Dubai honda showroom, it was launched as honda civic 2009.
Oh..is that so!!

thanks yaar..i got it few months back in some other forum..
Old 10th September 2009, 20:36   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
What Civic at 17 Lakhs and City 12 Lakhs? I think Honda's stratgey is misfiring. At 17 Lakhs there are better options like Laura. If someone can stretch the budget to 21 lakhs, than there is Superb / Fortuner / Endeavour. For 12 Lakhs, one can buy a altis, which is anyday better than city.

There is certainly a limit for ripping customers.
At that price also there will be many takers.
You forgot mate its a HONDA.
It will sell no matter what.

People who bought city at 8-9 lacs must be grinning from left to right now
Old 10th September 2009, 21:41   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Sorry brother. Thanks for the enlightment. Yes, what you say is true. Honda is selling the CRV even at 23 Lakhs price.
Old 10th September 2009, 23:44   #201

Quote:

Can Honda actually price City at 12 lacs??
I dont think its actually possible. They can't do this.
Going by speculation, City V M/T will be around 11 lacs, can it actually be?
Now i seriously can't wait for the official prices to be announced.
All this time i have been despondent that papa had bought ANHC 2 months back and now it was getting facelifted.
Old 10th September 2009, 23:48   #202
BANNED

i think the CRV now costs 30 laks. this is what they said in the showroom.
Old 11th September 2009, 08:45   #203
BHPian

Quote:
People who bought the NHC will feel even happier.

Honda seems to be repositioning the City slightly higher compared to last year (or the year before). I'll bet this has something to do with the Jazz. They have a Jazz 1.2, which at 8.5L seems overpriced to most of us. They need to create room for the Jazz 1.5 MT and AT. Honda knows for sure that a hatchback (however large it maybe) cannot sell alongside a sedan if the prices overlap. So instead of selling Jazz cheaper, they are making the City more expensive.

Honda understands the soft corner Indians have for the 'H' badge and will take complete advantage of the same. The Jazz 1.5 will sell well and they are betting on City having enough snob value (it's a 11L Honda!) to sell at a higher price.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:11   #204
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

nope it won't, they have bitten more than can be chewed this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Sorry brother. Thanks for the enlightment. Yes, what you say is true. Honda is selling the CRV even at 23 Lakhs price.
it sold 77 in 4 months if that can be called sales - it has actually sunk the crv after the price increase it now lands for about 28L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
People who bought the NHC will feel even happier.

Honda seems to be repositioning the City slightly higher compared to last year (or the year before). I'll bet this has something to do with the Jazz. They have a Jazz 1.2, which at 8.5L seems overpriced to most of us. They need to create room for the Jazz 1.5 MT and AT. Honda knows for sure that a hatchback (however large it maybe) cannot sell alongside a sedan if the prices overlap. So instead of selling Jazz cheaper, they are making the City more expensive.

Honda understands the soft corner Indians have for the 'H' badge and will take complete advantage of the same. The Jazz 1.5 will sell well and they are betting on City having enough snob value (it's a 11L Honda!) to sell at a higher price.
the Strategy wont work, we could sit on the fence and predict nothing, but my gut feel tells me that if this does not make sense as it doesn't to most of us, then it shouldn't work. That's the only way we will have them reverting back to more resonable pricing.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:40   #205
BHPian

I'm a little out of place on this debate, but the ongoing discussion tells me that Honda is over done it this time and customers will definitely move to Skoda and Toyota and other German & US carmakers in that price range below 12 Lakhs.

Laura lowend, Corolla / Altis, Fiesta, Jetta, all are going to be very happy by this one step of Honda pricing City above the segment.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:16   #206
BHPian

Had word with my City salesperson (Apex Honda, Mumbai), she said the changes are mostly exterior in City, with fog lamps and Alloys being added. Also chrome handles is an addtion to it.

However she claimed she has information and she saw the new/updated City Automatic. No information about updates on manual model. But on the contrary somewhere on this thread itself I read that AT city is being discontinued. Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:03   #207
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Had word with my City salesperson (Apex Honda, Mumbai), she said the changes are mostly exterior in City, with fog lamps and Alloys being added. Also chrome handles is an addtion to it.

However she claimed she has information and she saw the new/updated City Automatic. No information about updates on manual model. But on the contrary somewhere on this thread itself I read that AT city is being discontinued. Correct me if i am wrong.
the automatic city sells more than the manual in bombay atleast. there is no way they will kill their bread butter model. i have one and looking to get another autobox this year.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:06   #208
Team-BHP Support

Apparently, with the loss of the 6 CD changer, the dealers say the new Civic will not be desirable and the previous one!
Old 11th September 2009, 12:12   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
+ 1. Looks like they are happy with the numbers they are selling and have no immediate plans to increase capacity. So the strategy could be to milk those loyal customers to the fullest and increase margins thereby.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:42   #210
BHPian

City Models - Automatic

The S A/T model IS indeed being discontinued. It will be replaced by the much more expensive V A/T model that will fleece the customer by another ~60K or so, putting the top end City at 11L.

This is the most cynical part of Honda's strategy. Create a clear price differentiation between City and Jazz - not by cutting Jazz prices - but by hiking City Prices. Idiots .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks