Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 22:31   #316
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post

Even found Interiors of City better than that of Altis.

Yes, I've never been, but it doesn't look good in pics atleast.
Now you are making me laugh

I think your comments on City's interiors being better than Altis would make even diabloo cringe
Old 16th September 2009, 22:39   #317
BHPian

+1. Its crazy to even compare City with Altis.
It's like comparing between City & Civic

Well, what can I say. Honda's pricing is working it's magic on people's minds ... they have priced it so that people are thinking that City is in D-segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Err, arent we going a segment higher with that comment ?? Yes yes i know Honda has forced you to go to next segment. But i have driven both and obviously Altis is a class above.

ANHC sold below 3000 units in August
Old 17th September 2009, 00:39   #318
BANNED

why are people comparing a manual base model altis which is as good as a alto with a automatic city. honda sells a lot now in autoboxs and not manuals. honda has that advantage over all cars because they have autobox choice in all models. even jazz is going to follow this. gone are those days when manuals ruled the market. compare a base model city with a base model altis i bet the altis will have difference of a few laks there.
Old 17th September 2009, 06:56   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
why are people comparing a manual base model altis which is as good as a alto with a automatic city. honda sells a lot now in autoboxs and not manuals. honda has that advantage over all cars because they have autobox choice in all models. even jazz is going to follow this. gone are those days when manuals ruled the market. compare a base model city with a base model altis i bet the altis will have difference of a few laks there.
One of the most sensible replies in the thread.

Even I fail to understand why people are comparing Automatic City with the J version of Altis. If a customer is in market to buy a Manual he would compare only manual versions. I'm not saying that ANHC is not overpriced, yes they are, but don't make the difference appear to be larger by comparing autobox variant to manual one.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:30   #320
BHPian

As rightly pointed out we're glorifying the City too much by comparing it with the Altis.

Anyway, just for the record - City S-MT is ~10L (OTR Bangalore) and Altis base version is ~11.4L. That's a difference of ~1.4L.

Last edited by CBlazer : 17th September 2009 at 08:31.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:49   #321
BANNED

Honda car sales dip over four-fold in October - Corporate News - livemint.com

And they are still increasing prices?
Old 17th September 2009, 09:05   #322
Senior - BHPian

Considering that Honda India made losses in FY2009, and Honda (and other global players) is likely to report losses, perhaps there is transfer pricing going on. Both Honda and Toyota are citing higher input costs, when clearly it is the opposite case. I know of previous instances of transfer pricing by some Japanese-Indian collaborators in the 1980s and 1990s.
Old 17th September 2009, 09:11   #323
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypercar View Post

Rip Van Winkle syndrome?!

Last Oct the sales dipped because ANHC was launched by then but deliveries hadn't started till Nov.

Anyway, Honda is banking on the festival season too much, and they might pull it off even. Snob value counts mate...
Old 17th September 2009, 09:53   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why are people comparing a manual base model altis which is as good as a alto with a automatic city.
Wow, I must say this is a whole new dimension! A base model Altis is being compared to an Alto!! Aren't we letting our imagination run wild here?
Old 17th September 2009, 10:13   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
As rightly pointed out we're glorifying the City too much by comparing it with the Altis.

Anyway, just for the record - City S-MT is ~10L (OTR Bangalore) and Altis base version is ~11.4L. That's a difference of ~1.4L.
That is quite a small difference for a customer with that kind of spending. Many marginal customers can switch over. I think when I bought my car in 2007, the difference between City AT (GXI) and Corolla AT (H3) was close to 3 lakhs. Even then, Corolla was cheaper than Civic, plus Corolla was at a a discount. Perhaps a comparison of Altis and Civic prices would show that Altis may be cheaper.

Last edited by vasudeva : 17th September 2009 at 10:16.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:46   #326
BHPian

Quote:

What was that. Altis as good as a alto????

I initially took a TD of City Automatic in March, and then tried Altis Automatic. Altis proved to be far far superior in every respect, than CITY and it is definitely worth more than the extra cash.

I even evaluated Civic but apart from a smooth engine and a fundoo dash, I did not find anything of interest in that.

Altis is an under rated car and one will appreciate it only after a long drive.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:54   #327
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Now you are making me laugh

I think your comments on City's interiors being better than Altis would make even diabloo cringe
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
+1. Its crazy to even compare City with Altis.
It's like comparing between City & Civic

Well, what can I say. Honda's pricing is working it's magic on people's minds ... they have priced it so that people are thinking that City is in D-segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
One of the most sensible replies in the thread.

Even I fail to understand why people are comparing Automatic City with the J version of Altis. If a customer is in market to buy a Manual he would compare only manual versions. I'm not saying that ANHC is not overpriced, yes they are, but don't make the difference appear to be larger by comparing autobox variant to manual one.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
That is quite a small difference for a customer with that kind of spending. Many marginal customers can switch over. I think when I bought my car in 2007, the difference between City AT (GXI) and Corolla AT (H3) was close to 3 lakhs. Even then, Corolla was cheaper than Civic, plus Corolla was at a a discount. Perhaps a comparison of Altis and Civic prices would show that Altis may be cheaper.
Have to agree with all of these, the top model City could for price points be compared to the base Corolla, but yet the base corolla too is a class appart and a better deal than the top city.

The Interiors of the Altis (all models) look better than the top model City. Even externally now that we are used to it the corolla is a good looker, and infact today looks fresher and better than the civic.

There is a reason the Altis sells in the numbers it does over the civic and that is the looks and features, as drive wise the civic beats it hands down.

Lets not compare the City with the corolla for interiors and features, if one wishes to do so then the Linea is closer to the corolla altis then the city, for both looks and features, and with the soon reported (nov/dec) to be launched 1.6 MJD engine will probably take the battle to them in sales terms.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:19   #328
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
What was that. Altis as good as a alto????

I initially took a TD of City Automatic in March, and then tried Altis Automatic. Altis proved to be far far superior in every respect, than CITY and it is definitely worth more than the extra cash.

I even evaluated Civic but apart from a smooth engine and a fundoo dash, I did not find anything of interest in that.

Altis is an under rated car and one will appreciate it only after a long drive.
bingo you drove the auto and the corolla auto betweeen those the corolla is better and also more expensive by 3 or 4 laks. corolla bombay comp reg is 16.7 laks and city same spec is 12 laks. so do the math. one cannot compare a auto city and base corolla. the base model to any car in india is just not worth it i feel. they strip it down to cheap cheap levels. better buying one model up than the base. accord base model is nice i guess but then again 20 laks plus. so its ok
Old 17th September 2009, 13:04   #329
BHPian

I read somewhere that Honda is working on 4-6 lac rupee small car. So may be they are moving all their cars a segment higher. Jazz probably started that trend and moved to C+ segment ( only as far as the pricing i feel :-D), now as we see City is inching to D segment ( again with only the pricing) and god help Honda if civic moves a segment higher.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:24   #330
BHPian

ANHC: Trimmed down CIVIC for CITY price (Did GTO say this? or guess someone else)

Someone from Honda read this comment in our site n misinterpreted it lol, hence increase in prices

Most Viewed