Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 00:13   #241
BHPian

Re: If the feature was so simple, how come no one thought of it before?

A simple feature which I guess no one has come up with and I would really appreciate is a U-Turn Indicator, separate from the normal right/left indicator. It always causes a confusion specially on a tight stretch.
Many a times people are rolling their windows down and making efforts with hands/fingers/arms/heads (yes i have seen people taking out their heads and shouting "u turn hai jee u turn" ) to avoid and confusion collision.
kaks15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 00:26   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

Is the feature available on all models? We have a Wagon R LXi [2010] second gen and am not sure we have this function - have not checked it yet. On the other, how can we adjust the angle of rear seat?
Well, I referred to the Maruti Wagon (2003-2006) as the second generation.

We've a 2006 Maruti Wagon LXi at home. To recline the seat, one needs to pull up the lever like thing which is found on the back side of the seat and then recline.

I'm sorry for causing the confusion.

Last edited by Klub Class : 9th February 2012 at 00:27.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:37   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The Honda City (first generation) had 3-stage bumpers way back in 1997. Honda removed it because they realised it wasn't helping their maintenance related revenues at all.
The Good old feature should come back once again. Its a drastic increment of various vehicle in the road from 1997. As a customer perspective this will be a good feature. I also believe that Insurence comp are encouraging part replacement rather than full assembly replacement to keep the insurence cost lesser...
Old 9th February 2012, 12:32   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
well the purpose of seven seater is people carrier, can be used for short trips or long trips. You don't need huge luggage space on every trip, say you want to take the whole family out for dinner or attending a marriage party. So boot space is not a daily essentials for family, but a taxi operator it is essential. Taxi operators has various options available, including TATA winger.
On the other hand all these MPV can accommodate a luggage box on the roof luggage box something like this
Don't agree with you 100%. I know these are people carrier but still it has to have some boot space. If you see Innova or Xylo, these are mainly used in taxi segment only. Their respective companies has also agreed to that those are MPV and mainly designed for luxury taxi segment. Taxis are mainly for highways means going from one city to other. So it means you need to have space for the luggage for sure. In both cars if you have 6-7 people, you dont have enough space for their luggage then. They should have given some more space for sure. By increasing some length it dont become tempo traveler or winger. They should design it in better way i guess.

Last edited by GTO : 10th February 2012 at 23:11. Reason: Removing image from the quoted post, as it can inconvenience our mobile users
Old 9th February 2012, 13:37   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
(3) Tata Vehicles ( Safari, grande and vista) have a wiper speed adjustment on the wiper stalk giving a lot of flexibility and it is quite useful. Do not know why this simple setting can not be provided by others.
Indeed a very useful feature and it is also present in my 2008 Indigo CS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
2. Light in the bonnet , I think ambassador used to have this and Safari has it do not know about other cars.
I remember seeing this feature in my father's 1990 MM540 jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
So what if the AC button was on the steering wheel/ gear lever?[/u] It can be on the right hand side of the steering wheel or on the gear lever. I would prefer it to be on the steering wheel.
Good point! If audio controls can be on the steering wheel, then why not have an AC on/off button too? I too would like such a feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
Delayed start in Safari's rear viper wash helps avoid scratches by ensuring viper movement only after wash starts.
This feature is now standard on all Tata cars which have a rear wash-wipe system.

A useful feature in my Vista is the ring-light around the ignition key hole. It glows up when you unlock the car and remains illuminated till you start the engine. This saves me from groping around in the dark for the key hole.
Old 10th February 2012, 21:08   #246
BHPian

A feature I have always wished cars would have is a "WAIT" LED light at the rear of the car, especially in Indian conditions.

I am referring to the times when on a highway there is a vehicle behind you honking and screaming away at you to give way so that he can overtake you.

You dare not do so because, either it is not a safe time for him to overtake or else there is no space for you to give way.

Your intention is to give him way once the road situation is clear enough for him to make his overtaking maneuver. The driver behind thinks you are hogging the road and hence his decibels keep rising every second.

Here is where a "WAIT" sign would be useful. Flash it on, and the driver instantly realises that he just needs to wait a few seconds and you will give him way.

Another press on the ""WAIT" sign button would change it to "OK" to tell the driver behind to go ahead with his overtaking maneuver. Which would change back to a blank screen after 2-3 seconds.

Should not cost more than Rs 500 for the entire setup, I should think!
Old 11th February 2012, 12:58   #247
Senior - BHPian

A useful feature but an impatient honker will continue to honk regardless of how many 'wait' lamps you flash and an ego-driven cruiser at 50 kph on the right lane will simply leave the light switched on.

The whole idea of overtaking is that the overtaker looks a few cars ahead and plans his move. It is not the responsibility of the car in front to care for his safety. That said, I have never knowingly given a pass without thinking of the safety of the guy behind but have never fought the battles of the guy behind on his behalf.

The trick is, probably, to know who is likely to give you a safe pass. If you keep hounding someone, he will just pullover to the left and let you overtake your way to death and glory! On the other hand, never argue with the pass signal of a trucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlax View Post
A feature I have always wished cars would have is a "WAIT" LED light at the rear of the car, especially in Indian conditions.
Old 11th February 2012, 18:43   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
an ego-driven cruiser at 50 kph on the right lane will simply leave the light switched on.

It is not the responsibility of the car in front to care for his safety.

On the other hand, never argue with the pass signal of a trucker!
The trick will be to design the WAIT signal so that it switches off by itself and will need to be punched again to flash WAIT. I doubt that any but the psychotically egotistical will want to keep punching that button over and over again.
A driver following can see for himself if there is a clear road ahead and can overtake despite the WAIT signal if he wants to..

A good driver takes care of all fellow drivers on the road. Consideration for the safety and comfort of all others on the road is paramount to good driving skills.

In Kerala, we would rather put our car in the ditch at the side of the road than to argue with a KSRTC (Government) Long distance FAST PASSENGER bus!
Old 29th February 2012, 11:19   #249
Senior - BHPian

Why is not possible for car companies to provide power steering with adjustable hardness feature ? How difficult could this be for an EPS ?

While driving and parking in the city, one can choose to have a light steering. While driving on highways at higher speeds, one can set the setting for a harder steering.

Hyundai should be the first to implement this feature, since their cars are bashed the most by enthusiasts for having a super light steering.

Rohan
Old 1st March 2012, 11:14   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlax View Post

I am referring to the times when on a highway there is a vehicle behind you honking and screaming away at you to give way so that he can overtake you.

You dare not do so because, either it is not a safe time for him to overtake or else there is no space for you to give way.

Your intention is to give him way once the road situation is clear enough for him to make his overtaking maneuver. The driver behind thinks you are hogging the road and hence his decibels keep rising every second.

Here is where a "WAIT" sign would be useful. Flash it on, and the driver instantly realises that he just needs to wait a few seconds and you will give him way.

Another press on the ""WAIT" sign button would change it to "OK" to tell the driver behind to go ahead with his overtaking maneuver. Which would change back to a blank screen after 2-3 seconds.

Should not cost more than Rs 500 for the entire setup, I should think!
I absolutely agree! I have hardly heard people honking in many cities outside India & its so peaceful to drive there. May be like a signal jammer in certain places for mobiles, we should get a Honk sound jammer 10 meters around our car!

I have a baby who is 3 months old and when he goes to sleep finally at 11 PM after a lot of effort, some auto or bike guy has to honk loudly at 12 AM which spoils his sleep and he starts crying again! I wish autocompanies come up with a method where after 10 PM, if you press HONK button your only the headlight flashes (DIP & DIM).

Wishful thinking i must say!
Old 1st March 2012, 14:57   #251
BHPian

While on this topic, i just read this interesting link tweeted by Sid (C&B) and thought this makes sence considering how addictive Facebook and Twitter has become in all our lives.

A small extract from the article: "Imagine if SYNC could leverage all of the information from you and your friends put on your Facebook timelines to make your drive more personalized? Instead of just asking for a nearby restaurant list from your navigation system, the restaurants presented could actually be ones that have been “liked” by your friends. Or you could ask if your friends are nearby and request navigation to their location. How about listening to the same stream of music that your friends are “DJ’ing” from the comfort of their own home?"

The complete article:
Ford Social: Making the Car Social Again
Old 1st March 2012, 16:19   #252
BHPian

Quote:
amitk26;1438100
(3) Tata Vehicles ( Safari, grande and vista) have a wiper speed adjustment on the wiper stalk giving a lot of flexibility and it is quite useful. Do not know why this simple setting can not be provided by others.
The invention of this type of wiper speed control now commonly known as "intermittent speed wiper" is a story in itself. There is a movie "Flash of Genius" based on true life story of a inventor who fought with Detroit giants to get the recognition of his invention.
See this link - Flash of Genius (2008) - IMDb

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 1st March 2012 at 16:33.
Old 1st March 2012, 17:04   #253
Senior - BHPian

I want Rocket Launcher in the car like it shows in the bond movies. It will destroy the cars / trucks ahead. It is needed in India when one truck is going at 10 KMPH on steep road & other is trying to overtake it at 11 KMPH. People behind are just helpless & has to wait long to see that overtake happens :(

Also it is required when for some unknown reason ST buses, trucks or local jeeps stops on the highway itself to block the road. Whatever you do they will not give you way to go ahead.

I know i am talking non sense here but i really get frustrated with above 2 scenarios. It just destroys your trip mood a lot.
Old 1st March 2012, 17:49   #254
BHPian

Why can't we not have powerful headlights at the back too? Confused. Think of it. How many time we you driving on the highway at night and you get a big SUV right on your tail constantly using his headlight and the poor driving gets blinded even when just glances at his rear view mirror. May its time for such tail gaters to realize and be just a bit more considerate while using his headlights.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks