Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 13:32   #61
BHPian

One of the interesting features i feel is what Tata did to CS, small boot which is practical, sedan like feel and all the advantages of sedan. all of this at lower price. This can not go un-noticed.

However this is not something that Tata introduced, this was first introduced by Hyundai on Accent Viva, a clever sedan which looked better than Accent and was priced lowered than Accent. but it was still expensive, no match with Indigo CS.
Old 20th August 2009, 13:40   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
One of the interesting features i feel is what Tata did to CS, small boot which is practical, sedan like feel and all the advantages of sedan. all of this at lower price. This can not go un-noticed.

However this is not something that Tata introduced, this was first introduced by Hyundai on Accent Viva, a clever sedan which looked better than Accent and was priced lowered than Accent. but it was still expensive, no match with Indigo CS.
I think that sort of design is called Fastback
Old 20th August 2009, 15:39   #63
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all!

This thread is turning into a delightful read. If nothing else, it will turn into a small checklist of ergonomic delights that automobile manufacturers may refer to when introducing model revisions. Features that dont cost much, but please the consumer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
One feature which I have seen only on a Palio till now (might be there on other cars but I have seen it on a palio only) is when you turn off the ignition, the headlamps (if they were switched on), are also turned off.
Its present in a lot of cars these days. Simple case of rewiring the electronics, I presume. Still very much a contender for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well, I just happened to see this thread and enjoyed reading it. I'd like to add that the Ford Fiesta sxi has the following too:-
  1. ORVMs that fold both ways, like somebody mentioned about the Verna and Ikon.
  2. Fuel lid getting unlocked when doors are unlocked.
  3. Boot not getting unlocked when car is moving
  4. Light inside glove box and boot
  5. Boot unlock button on the remote key fob
  6. Lights on long beep when you switch off the engine and not the lights.
  7. Programmable intermittent wiper speed---I think there are 6 or 7 settings.
  8. A short swipe of the wipers with windshield fluid engages the wipers for as long as you press that button, and then follows up with another one after 5 seconds.
As regards reverse gear being engaged in first gear position, but with the lever being raised, I think the Verna and Embera have the same feature.
Good list of features dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I look forward to the Tyretronics tyre pressure monitoring system that is available in the Scorpio VLX, in all cars.
Any idea how much that costs? Some people call it a gimmick. I for one dont mind such a feature as long as it adds to my TLC for my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
a. "Lift up" ring below gear knob for engaging reverse. Have to remind the parking attendant / valet everytime, though.

b. AC blower works at "lowest of low" settings even where the blower is "Off" but the AC button in "ON".

c. You cannot lock yourself out of the car with the keys inside.

d. Dead Pedal.

e. You cannot withdraw the key from ignition without locking the steering.

f. Short and Long remote opening lever for tailgate and fuel filler so that you don't have to look down.

g. Power Window Switches and other switches are lit up with LEDs always, even in the daytime, if the ignition is on. Only dashboard lights are dependant on headlamps.

g. All electricals are switched off by switching off the ignition, even the brake lights. For parking lights, there is a separate position beyond off / lock position.

h. Wash and Wipe positions on the wiper stalk are independant of each other. So you can pour the exact amount of water you want on the windscreen before you wipe. Unlike the Alto at home, where the wiper moves with a pre-fixed delay after wash. Six adjustable nozzles, three on
each side on the bonnet.

Another one, though this could be controversial, though:

j. Rear wiper / wash nozzle are not on windscreen but on the body. If your version doesn't have it, you can simply add it later because the holes are covered by rubber caps and you don't have to replace with a new windshield. Even the switches upfront are the same, only wiring needs to be activated.

Sadly, the rotary seat incline adjustment has been discontinued in the Multijet. The petrol Palio Stile still has them.
A,C,D & F are present in the Verna too. I think H is a pretty neat feature to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Being very tall, I found the long driver seat travel in my Punto to be very useful, one of the reasons to buy this baby. I find almost all sub 10L cars lack this feature.

With the current generation being taller than those of previous generations, I think manufacturers should move up the average height on which they work upon to build a car.
Just OT, how tall are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossyphil View Post
Don't know anybody mention this here. I've seen a unique feature in fiat cars, the way door closes. Door closes step-by-step in two stage, which is a very good safety features.

Regards
Jossy
Yes, the stepped door opening/closing is present in most Tata cars. Dunno about others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
In the fiesta, the hazard lights automatically flash a few times if someone opens any of the doors while the car is still in motion (even if moving very slow).
A very good feature, in my opinion. Helpful for the driver as well as people outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Err, actually that kind of design is called a Notchback. In absolutely simplified terms, A fastback is a long sloping rear, while a notchback is a kinked, almost vertical rear. You figure which description is more appropriate for an Indigo CS or a Accent Viva.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:06   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Yes, the stepped door opening/closing is present in most Tata cars. Dunno about others.

A very good feature, in my opinion. Helpful for the driver as well as people outside.
But it doesn't work too well in the Tata cars. It works so well on a Palio that people not used to it complain that the door is too hard to operate! It also makes them slam the door extra hard when they get off!
Old 20th August 2009, 17:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Its called an excisedutycutback by Tata employees I believe
Old 20th August 2009, 21:10   #66
BHPian

I have an Indica DLG and I've experienced this too with parking garage walls, I don't know of any spring loaded mechanism on the Indica but the mirror casing going forwards and backwards happened with me too, and the glass was protected.
Old 21st August 2009, 00:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossyphil View Post
Door closes step-by-step in two stage, which is a very good safety features.
Oh yes, works very well when you are trying to put some stuff inside the car (esp when the car is standing with one side lower than the other, like on a slope) and the door doesn't keep shutting on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
It works so well on a Palio that people not used to it complain that the door is too hard to operate! It also makes them slam the door extra hard when they get off!
Tell me about it. The minor resistance of the door at those points makes them use all their force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Yes, sometimes something is done without such deep knowledge of design jargon or styling but sharp knowledge of excise duty norms.

In fact, I am thinking of a thread which makes a list of all the ingredients of the perfect car with a list of all these features which people think should be present in that elusive vehicle. One crazy, illogical thread that will be!
Old 21st August 2009, 01:58   #68

While this may not fit the criterion of being "simple" (from an engineering perspective), one feature I would like to see in more hatchbacks and SUVs is sliding rear seats. I would hazard a guess that for most people >90% of car trips are made with little or no luggage. If the rear seats could slide back, the passengers at the back could easily get oodles of legroom to stretch out there legs,.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:31   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Any idea how much that costs? Some people call it a gimmick. I for one dont mind such a feature as long as it adds to my TLC for my car.
Xenos seems to be on the verge of introducing an aftermarket Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Check here.

Mahindra's Tyretronics system is supplied by Schrader.

How the system works can be seen here.

IMO it shouldn't cost more than 3-4k INR for the complete system.

As to calling it a gimmick, when you are driving through Bihar in the middle of the night, the last thing you want is a flat tyre stopping you in the wrong kind of place. I'd like to know while driving what my tyres are up to at that time. Sure, Slime is another option, but if the cost is the same (or less), a TPMS in the car is better than Slime inside the tyres IMO. Slime is for one-time use, TPMS continues to be used on different tyres.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st August 2009 at 09:36.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:34   #70
BHPian

I just checked my new Wagon R. She too has the fold back option! Was not expecting it in a Wagon R.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:40   #71
BHPian

More for the Palio:

1) Provision of a piece of trim at the left and right edges of the windscreen which prevents water splashing to your side window, as well as other road users while using he windshield wipers

2) The steering wheel locks in the center position, so that the parking attendant can push a locked car without problems - this is a problem in my NHC

3) You can open a locked door in a single action - this is again a problem in the NHC since I have turn my body to unlock the car (lock is located towards the B-pillar) and then operate the door separately using the handle located towards the A-pillar

4) You can crank the engine while all the heavy electricals are on (including the A/C) since everything shuts off in crank position. In fact, the compressor does not kick in till the engine has completed 50 revolutions.

5) Bootlid cannot be opened from the outside without a key. So you know your luggage is secure while crawling in traffic

6) Clock dims as soon as you turn on the headlamp

7) You cannot turn off the headlamp in the 'main-beams-on' position. This ensures that you do not have your main-beams on the next time around

These are fairly common, but:

8) I wish every car came with four-lens headlamps. I find the momentary black-out while changing from low-beam to high-beam in my NHC quite irritating.

9) Provision of a sieve ("jaali") behing the IRVM to keep the sun out, in case it is right behind the mirror. This prevents glare while checking the IRVM. The left and right flaps cover the rest of the windscreen area

Last edited by vipul_singh : 21st August 2009 at 09:42.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Xenos seems to be on the verge of introducing an aftermarket Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Check here.

As of today TPMS is available for 7900 in Bangalore as it is still exotic item and a direct import but in USA TPMS are in range of 100 - 150 US$ that is 4 - 5 K.

I am sure if Xenos or someone else imports from China ( all are made in China but branded by companies in USA) in bulk it would be less then US cost due to low overheads.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Another simple yet useful feature in Palio is: Coin holder. There are almost 8-10 slots to keep coins and that too I guess with predefined thickness so you can sort your coins well and every coin is fitted perfectly in the respective slot.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:39   #74
BHPian

Oh! Those are coin holders! I have been wondering for the past 7 years why ventilation slots were designed next to a power window switch.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Good one. I've always felt "CS" stands for "Cut Short", no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
I have an Indica DLG and I've experienced this too with parking garage walls, I don't know of any spring loaded mechanism on the Indica but the mirror casing going forwards and backwards happened with me too, and the glass was protected.
Unlikely. My other car is an Indica DLS. It comes with normal ORVMS and they dont go forward. I've broken the casing once after an irate biker brushed against it in peak traffic.

Quote:

Thanks for the links Dada. Incidentally, Pete's also markets a sort of tyre pressure checker that you have to push into the valve, and it will show red/green/amber depending on the pressure. Zimble!

Quote:
As to calling it a gimmick, when you are driving through Bihar in the middle of the night, the last thing you want is a flat tyre stopping you in the wrong kind of place. I'd like to know while driving what my tyres are up to at that time.
Absolutely, your wisdom in these matters is unquestioned. And dont take offence dada, I didnt call it a gimmick! But you have to acknowledge that we few enlightened souls (also known as tbhpians) live in the middle of millions of ignoramuses, who think even ABS and Airbags are gimmicks! What chance does poor TPMS stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Another simple yet useful feature in Palio is: Coin holder. There are almost 8-10 slots to keep coins and that too I guess with predefined thickness so you can sort your coins well and every coin is fitted perfectly in the respective slot.
Very useful feature, I'm sure. But not being a person who keeps any money in his car, I cant help thinking this feature is overkill!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks