Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 17:39   #16
BHPian

All of our old/out dated bus & trucks have "Push Button Start" which many of people are willing to put in their cars. I don't know the exact cost of such fittings but I know it's much costlier compare to the one I just mentioned.
, but can't we fix those push button start from truck/bus into our modern cars (as I also like it much) ?
Old 18th August 2009, 17:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for your inputs, everyone. I've been intently reading through every little point you have mentioned, and will choose to individually discuss each. My intention to start the discussion seems justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As already stated by Lamborghini, the eccentric rail feature is there in Uno and not in Palio.
I'm quite certain that the eccentric rail was present in the first batch of Palios. Can any Bhpian (who has owned one such car) clarify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
One feature I was impressed by in my Jaguar was the seat belt sign. If no one is seating in the passenger seat , that sign will not glow but only when some one sits but does n't belt themselves, will the sign glow.
While it is an intelligent feature, are you sure that the technology which went into it is simple/inexpensive? The only way this could get done is to install sensors that detect pressure on the seats.

On second thoughts, you own a Jaguar? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
My Pajero has a sliding pull out section in the flipdown/out sunshades fixed inside the car so when you pull them out and swivel them sideways to keep the sun out from the side windows, you can slide them out so that the shades then cover the entire length of the side window, to keep the sun out. Simple, cheap, and very doable.
But I haven't seen that in any car till now, and the Pajero is a 15 year old design! Ergonomics is an aggregation of many little things like this, that do not all have to cost the moon.
Very intelligent feature, other manufacturers should take a cue from this. And the last sentence is very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
(1) One good feature on early TCIC Safari was the the middle row 40% seat of 60 / 40 split could be completely fattened to come in line with jump seat in last row giving a flat bad for an adult but in Safari Dicor and 2.2 Dicor this is removed don't know why
This feature is present in the Xylo too, isnt it?

Quote:
(2) Open Corsa had 3 settings for AC air-circulation ( closed , open and 50%) giving a certain amount of flexibilty.This is again a very simple solution and does not involve a grea deal of technology.
Sounds interesting. Definitely useful for those rainy evenings when you cant roll down the windows, yet dont want the full blast of air on your face!

Quote:
(3) Tata Vehicles ( Safari, grande and vista) have a wiper speed adjustment on the wiper stalk giving a lot of flexibility and it is quite useful. Do not know why this simple setting can not be provided by others.
This is not such a novel feature. Been present in Mercs since 1980s, also present in the Verna and some other Indian cars.

Quote:
(4)Toyota corrola Altis has an Array of LEDs as break light which looks good and saves power. when LEDs are cheap as dirt this is definately doable in all cars.
Err..this no doubt adds to the novelty value, but does it add to utility value for the driver?

Quote:
(5) Airlines style tray table in Xylo. This is a very useful feature and all MUV manufacturers see them in Aircarfts so why could not they install one for passanges in MUV they are manufacturing. Very thoughtful on part of M&M.
Hehe, sounds useful. Of course, I'm yet to come across people who've had whole meals in their Xylo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) The earlier, Fiat 1100, Amby, etc had column mounted gear shifters. The I10 gear shift though not column mounted by being dash mounted ensurs that like the coumn shifters the space between the two front seats if free for other stuff.

The three seater front sofa style seats had to make way for 2 bucket seats, due to the floor mounted gear stick that came in the way. This takes care of that problem.

2) The Laura has memory seats that remember your seat and side view mirror settings (upto 2 different drivers.) this is a great boon where the dirvers rearrange the setting while parking the cars in the office lounge or at home.

3) The stearing mounted controls possibly fall into this same range of easy to do stuff that is only today seen.

4) The reverse mirrors on the laura tilt downward when reverse gear is engaged as also the music system shows the parktronics system as also the music system drops volume to let you listen to the reverse parking blips.

5) The Safari has a reverse camera that is viewed on the rearview mirror skin by default in the Vx version that that is a great boon while reversing a giant truck.

6) The cielo had an 18 position (read sec) option in the GLX version for the wiper which allowed one to postion the intermittent wipe at our convenient setting via a roller rather than the 3-4 setting available on the cars today.

7) Laura has auto headlights (Light sensor), that auto level, that is usefull with shifting loads in the car and on entering a tunnel which is much darker. It also has auto wiping wipers (rain sensors) but they still need to program them better.

8) Passat / Superb have round the bend headlights that bend along turns giving added light visibility on turns.
While you've given some very interesting inputs, lemme clarify one small point. The column mounted gearshift isnt a simple feature per se. It was the way these cars were engineered, and manufacturers chose to offer them simply because re-engineering a floor shift would have been an expensive proposition. Not to offer convenience to the customer.

The other points are novel no doubt, but they cannot be classified as "simple/inexpensive" features, as they involved costly re-engineering.

Open to discussion.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2009, 18:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Dont some cars have a bar behind the front bumper which is useful in case of accidents with small animals? I think it prevents further damage.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:26   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Dont some cars have a bar behind the front bumper which is useful in case of accidents with small animals? I think it prevents further damage.
Put it this way buddy. Auto braking when objects are closer while at higher speed levels. I think this feature exists in high end cars.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Put it this way buddy. Auto braking when objects are closer while at higher speed levels. I think this feature exists in high end cars.
No mate. I did some googling. Ford Fiesta has this:
Quote:
The Fiesta also conforms to ‘enhanced’ requirements, like an ability to wade through water better (remember Mumbai 26/7?) and, as Dietsch, who’s very liable to incur PETA’s wrath, puts it, a “dog bar” behind the bumper designed to limit the damage caused by small animals on our country’s unpredictable highways.
Source: Cover Story FORD FIESTA
Old 18th August 2009, 18:38   #21
BHPian

One of such interesting feature is in Ikon, Fuel lid is integreted with central locking, hence just unlock the car and fuel lid can be opened directly. no need for additonal fuel lid opener.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think we are deviating from Good to have & simple to Implement features to features which are more like Wish To Have

@throttleking: bang On, this is one of the nice features that I first observed in the Opel Astra.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th August 2009 at 18:42.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Indica Vista has a very simple yet innovative feature wherein if the front wipers are running and you engage the reverse gear, the rear wiper also starts runing making it easier for you to see whats behind.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think we are deviating from Good to have & simple to Implement features to features which are more like Wish To Have
Well said buddy, thanks for keeping this thread on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Indica Vista has a very simple yet innovative feature wherein if the front wipers are running and you engage the reverse gear, the rear wiper also starts runing making it easier for you to see whats behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
One of such interesting feature is in Ikon, Fuel lid is integreted with central locking, hence just unlock the car and fuel lid can be opened directly. no need for additonal fuel lid opener.
Now those are just the kind of features I'm talking about!
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2009, 18:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Taking this to Bikes, The latest pulsar's have a very innovative feature for headlights, if while riding one of the filaments of the bulb fuse, it automatically switches to the other filament i.e. if you are one high beam & the high beam gets fused it will automatically shift to low beam. I wonder whats stopping others to get this.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Few more thoughtful simple feature often ignored by Car manufacturers I do not think they have novelty value but not many vehciles provide them.

1. A pnuematic support for bonnet (provided in Safari) no need to hold bonnet and pull out the metal bars to support the heavy bonnet. Does not cost much but not many car's provide it. Claims of not being useful due to extream reliability of XYZ german brand and no need for customer to open bonnet is bogus because you need to open the hood atleast to fill windshield washer liquid and more so in Indian conditions due to repeated wash of windshields.

2. Light in the bonnet , I think ambassador used to have this and Safari has it do not know about other cars.

3. Wiper Wing on driver side wiper , At high speed this puts weight on the wiper and it does not fly away.Not seen on many cars as OEM
Subaru provide it in US market in India Safari has it.

4. Adjustible lumber support ( Available in many cars but not all) , Does not cost much and not very technical.

5. Tight sections ( just approx 5 MM) with in glove box for holding driving license and vehicle papers, Leaving rest of it uncluttered.
Maruti , Hyundai and Tata Vehicles do not have this Opel Corsa had it do not know about others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
This feature is present in the Xylo too, isnt it?
No XYlo flatbed style seat is little different then what I have described. I think you need to see an old TCIC safari to understand what I mean, This was not an advertised feature , Some one has posted a pic on Safari picture thread.

Quote:
This is not such a novel feature. Been present in Mercs since 1980s, also present in the Verna and some other Indian cars.
Well Verna is a recent introduction in market compared to Indica and Mecs are not mass market in India unlike Europe so I think full marks to Tatas for introducing this simple feature in their mass market vehicles ( Even Indicas have them)

Quote:
Err..this no doubt adds to the novelty value, but does it add to utility value for the driver?
yes LED array is dispersed in bigger area and prominentely visible to vehicle behind , usually big reflectors are placed around tail bulbs for this effect but LED cluster do the job much better consuming less power.

Quote:
Hehe, sounds useful. Of course, I'm yet to come across people who've had whole meals in their Xylo.
Well Airlines tray are not just for meals , Think about using laptops ,reading books or simply a game of chess.
Old 18th August 2009, 19:05   #27
BHPian

Old vehicles which has 3 gears have gear pattern with Reverse placed at the position where most cars have their 1st gear. To avoid accidental engagement of Reverse, some of cars have provision to lift gear shift & then engage.
For eg. old Willis jeep could be engaged normally but Beetle provided lifting method while engaging into Reverse. In modern cars, Daewoo Cielo had the same gear pattern.

This may look odd but it was good feature to avoid accidental engagement of Reverse.
Old 18th August 2009, 19:12   #28
BHPian

Good thread. The fabia has some of the features mentioned and some more:

- Reverse wiper starts on engaging reverse, when wipers are on.
- Music volume dims to lowest on engaging reverse, and aircon turns one notch higher.
- The outside mirrors can be turned outwards, so if someone passing you hits them, no damage occurs.
- AC vent in glovebox, to keep stuff cool.
- Taking out key (or opening door) at fuel station unlocks fuel lid, auto locks on central lock at 20kph. Same with boot. Takes care of missing separate buttons.
- At high beam, both beams are on, so that you can see the road right in front on highways etc.
Old 18th August 2009, 19:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Old vehicles which has 3 gears have gear pattern with Reverse placed at the position where most cars have their 1st gear. To avoid accidental engagement of Reverse, some of cars have provision to lift gear shift & then engage.
For eg. old Willis jeep could be engaged normally but Beetle provided lifting method while engaging into Reverse. In modern cars, Daewoo Cielo had the same gear pattern.

This may look odd but it was good feature to avoid accidental engagement of Reverse.
The Astra too, I believe. I once had to move my landlord's Cielo without instruction and couldn't for the life of me manage to lift the shaft to correctly engage reverse. Luckily I managed to park it without needing to reverse. That was one feature where I was and wondering why Daewoo couldn't just follow the convention, when it was so simple to do it!
Old 18th August 2009, 19:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On second thoughts, you own a Jaguar? Wow!

Well used to in the UK. But then met with an accident and totalled it.

Another feature that I had in my Peugot 407 and the Jag was that the washer rather than coming in a stream used to come out as a spray. Effectively covers the entire windscreen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks