Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 16:50   #136
BHPian

You can never get locked out in OMNI

Dont know if this simple feature is there in current cars. In 2000 Maruti Omni which does not have central locking system you can never get locked out if you try to close the door with the door lock button set (locked) on driver side. The door lock out pop out if you try to shut the door with door lock set. You had to lock the driver side door only with your keys. I remember this feature not being available in 2000 Hyundai Santro and we had got locked out on the first day my friend bought his Santro. His car being under loan, the spare key was with the dealer. We had to call the dealer(HMP) breakdown service for the spare key just 3 hours after taking delivery of the car as the dealership had closed by then.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:08   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Dont know if this simple feature is there in current cars. In 2000 Maruti Omni which does not have central locking system you can never get locked out if you try to close the door with the door lock button set (locked) on driver side. The door lock out pop out if you try to shut the door with door lock set. You had to lock the driver side door only with your keys. I remember this feature not being available in 2000 Hyundai Santro and we had got locked out on the first day my friend bought his Santro. His car being under loan, the spare key was with the dealer. We had to call the dealer(HMP) breakdown service for the spare key just 3 hours after taking delivery of the car as the dealership had closed by then.
Yes but if you keep the door handle in the open position as the door shuts, then the lock doesn't pop out. So technically it is possible to get locked out.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 9th September 2009 at 17:10.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:26   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Yes but if you keep the door handle in the open position as the door shuts, then the lock doesn't pop out. So technically it is possible to get locked out.
Indeed, And we did get locked out of our Omni long time ago.. DWind, just give it a try (with keys in your hand, not inside.. of course !! )
Old 9th September 2009, 17:37   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Indeed, And we did get locked out of our Omni long time ago.. DWind, just give it a try (with keys in your hand, not inside.. of course !! )
We've been locked out too but its ridiculously easy to get back in anyway. Most of the old Marutis were like that. I won't tell you how but I'm sure most Maruti owners and theives will know.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 9th September 2009 at 17:39.
Old 9th September 2009, 20:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We've been locked out too but its ridiculously easy to get back in anyway. Most of the old Marutis were like that. I won't tell you how but I'm sure most Maruti owners and theives will know.
ya my dad's M800 is like that.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:31   #141
BHPian

-Another feature on the Palio, the area near the dead pedal (on the sides of the central console) uses a much softer carpeting. So that you dont brush your legs against the the coarser and more durable carpet on the floor. Thats attention to detail!
-Another one is the "double crank" protection. You cannot double crank the Palio and can prevent expensive damages. Come to think of it even the Uno had it.
-My GTX is the from the first lot of 2001 and it does not have the eccentric rail seats. The Uno had it though.
Old 10th September 2009, 08:48   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Neat. But besides looking cool, what purpose does it serve?
Your keys don't rub against the dashboard and scratch it, and you also don't touch them with your knees, especially while turning.

But it goes along with the whole cockpit like environment Saab claims to create in the car.
Old 10th September 2009, 21:41   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
One feature I was impressed by in my Jaguar was the seat belt sign. If no one is seating in the passenger seat , that sign will not glow but only when some one sits but does n't belt themselves, will the sign glow.
Impressive MC - What model Jag is it?

BTW @ Thread Starter:

Interesting idea, but spring loaded OVRMs are manufacturer designs that break on impact. Its just plain luck that your verna mirror did not break in both instances. If the hit had been the other way around [if 2 wheelers try and squeeze through] then they might have broken!!
Old 10th September 2009, 21:45   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bingo---you've said it----happened to me a couple of times, when the spare key was 30 kms away----had to use the same quarter panel glass technique if the scale method failed.
Old 10th September 2009, 22:01   #145
BHPian

Each wheel of Skoda Fabia has one master nut which cannot be removed using an ordinary spanner. Every car is provided with a small key to be inserted into the spanner to remove this nut. This key is unique to each car. This feature is provided to prevent the expensive alloy wheels from being stolen.
Old 10th September 2009, 23:04   #146
BHPian

Dont know if this is already mentioned - I have seen incidents where someone's hand/fingers were injured by the car door while another person closes the door. One feature I wish to see is some mechanism to prevent closing the door or at least beep in such case.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:11   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
I am not so sure that Hazard lights stay on if the rest of the power is down. Because I faced a serious problem some years back while travelling on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, when my old Palio had a complete electrical failure (later found to be due to a cable chewed by rats), and the most crucial parts viz.the power steering, hydrualic brakes AND the Hazard lights were not operable. It was a really scary situation.
Thats because your car did suffer a complete electrical failure. In the last 11 years, I've had atleast as many instances where I've had to pull up on the side of the road at night for something or the other. In all instances, all my cars hazard lights have worked even after switching off completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
I dont think that no. 4 is expensive. My SX4 does not have that but when I asked one of the Auto parts dealer about that, he said that it can be done in my car without affecting any of the electronics and security system. And it would cost me just 2000/- Rs. I would not mind paying Maruti 2000/- bucks extra if they gave this feature pre-installed.
Thats news dude, both the fact that its so cheap and that one doesnt need to tamper with the electrical system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
The door lock out pop out if you try to shut the door with door lock set. You had to lock the driver side door only with your keys.
Dude, in 9 years you never figured out that the front drivers door can be locked with the knob down and the handle pulled up? It was a standard feature on all old Marutis. Our 98 M800 had this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Your keys don't rub against the dashboard and scratch it, and you also don't touch them with your knees, especially while turning.
Hmm. In my 11 years of driving my knees have never touched the keys while driving. And I'm a 6'2", long-legged misfit! But obviously, different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
BTW @ Thread Starter:

Interesting idea, but spring loaded OVRMs are manufacturer designs that break on impact. Its just plain luck that your verna mirror did not break in both instances. If the hit had been the other way around [if 2 wheelers try and squeeze through] then they might have broken!!
Well in the Indicab instance the car hit me from front right, and the mirror swerved back. In the Accent instance the car hit me from behind right, and the mirror swerved to the front. So the mirror swerved both ways. Either you're wrong, or I'm lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madan Gopal View Post
Each wheel of Skoda Fabia has one master nut which cannot be removed using an ordinary spanner. Every car is provided with a small key to be inserted into the spanner to remove this nut. This key is unique to each car. This feature is provided to prevent the expensive alloy wheels from being stolen.
Hmm. Not joking here, but I'm seriously astounded at the number of small ergonomic delights on the Fabia and the Palio. These cars sell in small numbers, but in the long run I guess its the ergonomics that endear them so much to the existing owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Dont know if this is already mentioned - I have seen incidents where someone's hand/fingers were injured by the car door while another person closes the door. One feature I wish to see is some mechanism to prevent closing the door or at least beep in such case.
Wishful thinking. But bring em on!
Old 11th September 2009, 11:23   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Some cars have this 3 stage openings for the door. The design is in the door stopper. A couple of more grooves on the stopper is all that is required to have this. Pretty useful.
thats true.

in punto (correct me if i am wrong) only front doors have 3 stage opening, in rear its only 2 stage. i wonder what fiat saved in that
Old 11th September 2009, 12:27   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Yes it is necessary but pretty hard to implement. I can only think of some sensors all along the door lining which is expensive. But then again, I'd rather have ten fingers than a few thousand extra.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:56   #150
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Impressive MC - What model Jag is it?
Almost every premium car has this feature today. My C220 does, and even the recently tested Fortuner had a weight sensor that only activates the seat belt warning when the passenger seat is occupied.

Most Viewed