Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 11:51   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
For the point 8 above, this feature is present in my 2006 Indica too. I think this feature is part of the Remote Locking system used in the car.
Yes, it is a part of the Remote locking system. I have that in my SX4 too. You can program it to work that way or otherwise.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:36   #167
BHPian

About the folding ORVM's, I think my SX4 does not have it. It was struck by one of the Jaywalking moron on the road while driving inside the electronic city campus. It folded back but not before the mirror inside falling out. I had to shell out 300INR to replace the inside mirror. Everything else like the electronic motion part inside the casing was safe. Only the mirror was broken.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:03   #168
BHPian

Another Feature which I like in my Mondeo. Every time I lock my car with the remote and hold the lock key for like 3 seconds all the open windows close and the car gets double locked. Not sure how many cars in India have this feature.
Old 18th September 2009, 19:38   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptiyer78 View Post
One of the features that the Palio has is a reverse lock which prevents accidentally pushing the reverse gear.

You need to lift the lock on the gear knob to put it in reverse.
The Verna too comes with this feature. Initially I hated it, now I think every car should have it.

Quote:
Some other thing in the Palio that i like is the light adjustment of the beam .(Which is now a common in all cars but unlikely in Santro Xings then)
Yes, the Palio was probably one of the first cars to sport electronic beam adjustment, before govt regulations made it mandatory for all cars.

Quote:
Another good thing about the Palio is if ever you have looked at the bottom of the car, all the parts have been sealed with a thick frame and no parts lie hanging outside(unlike the Swift where you can view what the car is made up from the bottom :-D) I have couple of time ridden over stone big enough to rattle the bottom of my car, but because of this feature i have never really worried about it.
Probably a reminder of the fact that European cars are generally better built than Japanese and Korean counterparts. Although, now with the far east having to make models that will compete on a global scale, the build quality is improving by leaps and bounds.

Quote:
I like the Integrated Audio system with the new I10 sports model and the various storage options provided by the maruthi cars whether it be a cup or a bottle (this is missing in the palio).
Oh yeah. Speaking about storage options, my Verna has 4 huge door pockets, 4 small door pockets, 2 behind-front-seat pockets, 3 cup holders in the console between the front seats, 2 cup holders in the rear armrest, and a latched coin pocket in the front console. Thats 16 crevices provided for storing your knick-knacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
it will be nice if they eliminated mechanical linkage between the key fob and the lock. Since most cars have central locking feature, this can save a lot of incidents where the contents inside the car are stolen without any trace.
Nowadays many cars (eg my Verna) are coming with remote button on the key itself, instead of the fob. But I'm not very clear on how eliminating the mech linkage will solve stealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Has anyone mentioned before about Subaru's hill holder function in some of their cars (manual transmission only).[/url]

My new Impreza comes with that feature (a separate thread on that later), but even some of the older Legacies and Imprezas used to have that as well.
Yeah, there was a discussion on the electronic hill hold function a few pages back. Very good feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazer View Post
Another Feature which I like in my Mondeo. Every time I lock my car with the remote and hold the lock key for like 3 seconds all the open windows close and the car gets double locked. Not sure how many cars in India have this feature.
Whats Double Locking? How is it more effective than general locking?
Old 19th September 2009, 14:00   #170
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's really a sweet feature to live with. The Opel Astra was the first to offer this.
Old 19th September 2009, 19:42   #171
BHPian

Some Autocop models have this feature. I have a Autocop DX 9970 which has this feature. When the car is locked using the remote all the windows equipped with power window would roll up automatically.
Old 20th September 2009, 00:15   #172
BHPian

There was this real simple 'feature' on the Tata indigo diesel and i wonder whether it has been discontinued.

A sticker on the windscreen corner gave the optimum shift point speeds for good FE and the range of speeds for a given gear ratio.

As many will know the indigo diesel has bags of turbo lag and driving one from a previous petrol car was initially frustrating.

The sticker in the corner was real useful in the real world driving on the different shift point speeds to use in the indigo.

Well, the same is no doubt in the user manual but having it on the windscreen all the time made the difference.

I hope tata have continued with the sticker.
Old 20th September 2009, 01:19   #173
BANNED

In Linea, in the boot, on right hand side wall, there is a string which dangles with a loop at its end !! In case the Fuel lid opening buttom switch malfunctions, just pull this string & the Fuel lid gets opened. Smart little thingy !
Old 20th September 2009, 03:55   #174
BHPian

New Mustang

Okay : this one is definitely a first in the world.

Imagine you own the New Mustang. For the eventuality when bad guys kidnap you and load you up in your own car's trunk and try driving away, the company has provided a pull-from-inside mechanism that allows such stranded passengers to open the boot and run away. The string has a triangular plastic end-holder (to pull using teeth ??) with an illustration that suggests you to do exactly the same: pull, open boot, run away.

Plus, the back-light of the instrument cluster has ~ 100 colour settings. the flipside? There is just one switch that progresses the colour. In case you missed your favourite #69 and jumped to #70: you'd need to press the switch 98 times to get the desired Backlight.
Old 21st September 2009, 01:45   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas View Post

Imagine you own the New Mustang. For the eventuality when bad guys kidnap you and load you up in your own car's trunk and try driving away, the company has provided a pull-from-inside mechanism that allows such stranded passengers to open the boot and run away. The string has a triangular plastic end-holder (to pull using teeth ??) with an illustration that suggests you to do exactly the same: pull, open boot, run away.
It is a regulation in Europe. All '3 box' cars built presently have to have emergency escape switch in the boot. Not only in a kidnap situation (which is highly unlikely for most people), It is more useful during accidents when doors could crumple or lock. You would still have an escape route.

Moreover, since most cars these days come with electronic locking system, manual switch in boot acts as an override and helps if something goes wrong and you are stuck in a locked car.

Even in India, all recent VW, BMW, Audi, Mercs cars have this switch and I would presume Skoda should also have it.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:05   #176
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas View Post

This has nothing much to do with a kidnapping, all newer car now have this as amn emmergency exit in case of flooding when the powered doors and windows do not work - the Laura too has this.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:14   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This has nothing much to do with a kidnapping, all newer car now have this as amn emmergency exit in case of flooding when the powered doors and windows do not work - the Laura too has this.
I see.. didn't know! thanks .. .. but then, is the boot accessible in all the cars from the passenger compartment ?
Old 5th October 2009, 16:22   #178
BHPian

Quote:
This feature is provided in Skoda Fabia also. After locking if the key is held in that position, it will close all the windows. Similarly, when the lock is opened and the key held in that position, it will open all the windows.

Not sure about what "double locked" means.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:34   #179
BHPian

One feature I liked in my Indicas (1 V1 and a V2) but miss in my Santro Xing is the 'flick wipe' feature. This is especially useful when I have a bit of water on my windscreen and just want to clean it, requiring one stroke of the wiper like to clean the spray on the windscreen form the vehicle in front after it has just stopped raining. I just pull the wiper lever towards me (like you do for the wash-wipe feature). In my Xing, I need to switch the wiper on and then off whereas in the Indicas this feature was spring-loaded.

It did cause the wash-wipe feature to be moved to a button at the end of the wiper stalk but was worth it.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:42   #180
BHPian

Any one thought why all hatchbacks & SUV have rear wind screen wiper while the Sedans don't have one why is this like that. Does sedan cars don't require it? or what is the concept behind this can any one explain .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks