Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 23:32   #226
BHPian

Re: If the feature was so simple, how come no one thought of it before?

How about Rubber Bumpers ?
Have a shunt and the elastic rubber avoids dents on your car & fractures on the guy you hit

or photo chromatic windows ?
Transparent in the night & dark in the day

Last edited by Silverfire : 7th February 2012 at 23:35.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:22   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlax View Post
A very neat feature in my Wagon R VXI is that the cabin lights come ON as soon as the ignition key is in the off position.
And they stay ON while you are in the car gathering all your keys, bags and other possessions, while you get out of the car and close the door.
They only switch off once you lock the car with the remote central lock.
So useful not to have to switch the cabin lights on and off while you gather all your knick-knacks.
This feature is there in most cars now a days. My swift has it as well.
But i too find this feature really convenient.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:02   #228
Senior - BHPian

Re: The AC On/ Off switch on the Gear Lever/ Steering Wheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
It is very useful due to our smaller engines and the driving conditions. Maybe even more for the sub 1.2L Petrol engines.

So what if the AC button was on the steering wheel/ gear lever?
It can be on the right hand side of the steering wheel or on the gear lever. I would prefer it to be on the steering wheel.

Won't it be much easier and quicker to access? It will be safer too as one wouldn't have to reach out to the dash looking for the switch in dire situations.

PS: Make sure not to use this frequently or in quick succession.
i10 has this feature. The A/C on/off button is very close to the gear lever. Sometimes I wonder if the placement of the gear lever and A/C button is intentional. If the A/C is turned off, the car just flies . I remember the NOS effect shown in Fast and Furious each time.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:49   #229
Senior - BHPian

Re: The AC On/ Off switch on the Gear Lever/ Steering Wheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
i10 has this feature. The A/C on/off button is very close to the gear lever. Sometimes I wonder if the placement of the gear lever and A/C button is intentional. If the A/C is turned off, the car just flies . I remember the NOS effect shown in Fast and Furious each time.
Most small cars have the A/C button very close to the 1st, 3rd or 5th gear. The i10, more so. And when one is used to the car, he/ she can disengage the button without even looking at it while shifting the gear.

But, won't the A/C button be easier and quicker to access if it's on the right hand side of the steering wheel or on the gear lever? It will be much safer as well.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:56   #230
Senior - BHPian

One major thing that I have realized owning two Hyundai cars is that as far as providing many Gizmos in a car go, Koreans are pretty hard to beat. They may not come out with all these add-ons right away but you can be rest assured that when they do, its with all the Guns Drawn!!

I own a 2010 Getz Prime and one feature which I noticed 2 months down my ownership is the Rear Seat Reclination. The rear seat has 3 points to recline at, which I have not seen in any car till date. I don't remember seeing this feature on the older Getz as well. This may not look like a great feature but it just adds a lot to rear seat comfort for passengers.

Wonder how hard would this be for the manufacturers to incorporate. I have a funny feeling that just by adding this feature, Hatches like Polo & Punto might as well feel pretty spacious if not comfortable at the rear, without re-designing the chasis.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th February 2012 at 12:03.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:23   #231
Senior - BHPian

A correction :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728
The rear seat has 3 points to recline at, which I have not seen in any car till date.
The second generation Maruti Wagon R have reclining rear seats and flat folding front seats.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:38   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

A correction :

The second generation Maruti Wagon R have reclining rear seats and flat folding front seats.
It does Klub Class ?? I stand corrected if so.

The point I was trying to make was that this is a brilliant feature for small hatches and IMHO adds to the VFM factor. Most of the modern hatches like Polo & Punto are way longer than the older ones like Indica & Getz but offer very cramped interiors.
I think this should be incorporated instead of reducing the thickness of the seats or the travel of the front seats to increase the rear space.
Old 8th February 2012, 14:28   #233
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm .... Good thread. One thing i always feel is about boot space. Why the hell on earth companies give small boots? E.g. Maruti A-star, New Swift, costly MPV's like Innova, Xylo, even cars like Aria etc. People are spending lacs of rupees & they dont get enough space for there own baggage that's ridiculous. I am more surprised for cars like Innova, Xylo & Aria. They are made for 3 row sitting. So it means around 7 people. They what is company thinking that where should the baggage will fit for 7 people? On carrier? Which is not again company provided & is not that safe & difficult to operate. Dont know when companies will learn few basic things :(
Old 8th February 2012, 15:12   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I am more surprised for cars like Innova, Xylo & Aria. They are made for 3 row sitting. So it means around 7 people. They what is company thinking that where should the baggage will fit for 7 people? On carrier? Which is not again company provided & is not that safe & difficult to operate. Dont know when companies will learn few basic things :(
The innova has a split folding third row that folds into the side walls. That is a good alternative by having one person less on last row and reasonable amount of luggage space. Pity Xylo does not have this feature. However, the Xylo has good amount of space under the third row as well as space behind to accomodate three carry on type pieces. Some flat storage also fits underneath the second row. I've used this extensively.

Manufacturers could create a customized luggage as an accessory range fitting the space available in their models. It would best use the available volume optimally without blocking rear view etc.
Old 8th February 2012, 16:23   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
How about Rubber Bumpers ?
Have a shunt and the elastic rubber avoids dents on your car & fractures on the guy you hit

or photo chromatic windows ?
Transparent in the night & dark in the day
Instead of a rubber bumber I feel a 3 piece bumber, You can replace any one of them when some body bump you Ownership cost will be less. I feel that now a days bike and Auto keeps hitting the side of the Bumber.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:06   #236
BHPian

One feature ( I think it is custom made) ,which I noticed in i10 , behind all 4 door handle a led lilts when parking switch is on. This help in dark nights. On feature I want, horn near left fender just below the indicator . It helps in tight spots .
Old 8th February 2012, 22:58   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Instead of a rubber bumber I feel a 3 piece bumber, You can replace any one of them when some body bump you Ownership cost will be less. I feel that now a days bike and Auto keeps hitting the side of the Bumber.
The Honda City (first generation) had 3-stage bumpers way back in 1997. Honda removed it because they realised it wasn't helping their maintenance related revenues at all.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 23:06   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlax View Post
A very neat feature in my Wagon R VXI is that the cabin lights come ON as soon as the ignition key is in the off position.
And they stay ON while you are in the car gathering all your keys, bags and other possessions, while you get out of the car and close the door.
They only switch off once you lock the car with the remote central lock.
So useful not to have to switch the cabin lights on and off while you gather all your knick-knacks.
This is a pretty standard feature in all remote central locked cars these days. My 2008 Verna CRDI SX has this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The Honda City (first generation) had 3-stage bumpers way back in 1997. Honda removed it because they realised it wasn't helping their maintenance related revenues at all.
Yes, this was a pretty useful feature. Auto India pointed out in their OHC road test in 1997 and said "all Indian cars should have this feature". But didn't the 3 stage bumpers stay throughout the life of the OHC?
Old 9th February 2012, 00:03   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi
MPV's like Innova, Xylo, even cars like Aria etc. People are spending lacs of rupees & they dont get enough space for there own baggage that's ridiculous. I am more surprised for cars like Innova, Xylo & Aria. They are made for 3 row sitting. So it means around 7 people. They what is company thinking that where should the baggage will fit for 7 people? On carrier? Which is not again company provided & is not that safe & difficult to operate. Dont know when companies will learn few basic things :(
well the purpose of seven seater is people carrier, can be used for short trips or long trips. You don't need huge luggage space on every trip, say you want to take the whole family out for dinner or attending a marriage party. So boot space is not a daily essentials for family, but a taxi operator it is essential. Taxi operators has various options available, including TATA winger.
On the other hand all these MPV can accommodate a luggage box on the roof luggage box something like this

In fact TATA aria review shows it has the best luggage space of all MPVs

Adding more boot space will make the vehicle longer and the whole driving dynamics will change, may be it becomes a tempo traveller or TATA winger :-)
Old 9th February 2012, 00:10   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Is the feature available on all models? We have a Wagon R LXi [2010] second gen and am not sure we have this function - have not checked it yet. On the other, how can we adjust the angle of rear seat?

Most Viewed