Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 17:51   #46
BHPian

While we are travelling from point A to point B, depending on the distance to be travelled, its always the number of breaks that we take that will decide the time it takes to reach. With my experience I note that its the amount of continuous runs that you can do (read driving at a stretch) that will reduce or incease the time it takes to reach a particular destination.
I think driving in an SUV (taking Safari/Scorpio as an example), will make the drive less tiring for the driver, more comfortable for the passengers and hence will increase the chances of doing long stretch drives between destinations.
It may not be the same if you are 4 people in a sedan versus 4 people in a Safari.
In a sedan due to its low height and limited visibility a driver may have to be on his toes if you have to drive very very fast and reach a destination. End result it "may" become tiresome at the end of the day. A Safari on the other hand provides good long distance visibility, better comfort to passengers and an enjoyable drive.
Power is only secondary for highway travel. A TCIC Safari can even beat a Laura to the destination. Remember its not a 100 Mtr dash. Its a marathon and only the guy with consistent speeds will win.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 20th August 2009, 18:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

I think there are so many variables in this discussion but the valid points are :
1. SUVs are more comfortable, people drive longer and think that they have got home early.

2. Higher sitting and better view in SUVs

3. everyone makes way for SUVs in india.

But last and not least it all depends on driver's skills and experience too.

You give a sedan or a SUV to HVKumar, he will be faster in both cases.
Old 20th August 2009, 18:35   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
I think there are so many variables in this discussion but the valid points are :
1. SUVs are more comfortable, people drive longer and think that they have got home early.
Driving longer will give you better average speeds than by taking 10 min breaks with better top speeds.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 20th August 2009, 18:54   #49
BHPian

I believe it all comes down to driving style and driver's physical condition.

If someone can drive continuously quick with concentration, it doesnt matter what car or what road, as long as its in the common Indian price brackets, and the car is comfortable and confident in handling.

In personal experience, from Salem to Bangalore, with numerous diversions when the road was being built, I never needed to go lower than 70, and on the GC part as high as 150. I dont think any SUV or Sedan under 20L could go faster on those roads unless driven rashly.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:45   #50
BHPian

The question is about highway driving. So lets not bring the bad roads part.
As far as my highway experience goes, Sedans outperform SUVs of the same range.
I have hardly seen any SUVs overtaking me when I keep steady at 150-160kmph with my CEDIA. And I am sure if I can't keep up 150-160kmph on a highway, SUVs of some range wouldn't do any different.

Again it really depends on the person behind the steering. I am sure many Scorpio owners would do 150-160kmph.

Now if you are comparing SUVs above 20L, you should only consider sedans of that range.

So my vote goes to Sedans for highway performance.
But SUVs are more practical vehicle than a Sedan any day.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

If the road is good, the sedan will be faster....

I used to munch miles with my Accent Viva CRDi, and bar the odd idiot who overtakes from the left at 130 kmph, I pretty much wasnt overtaken by anyone...
Old 20th August 2009, 20:47   #52
vak
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I certainly agree to this, our Endeavor easily overtakes most of the sub 15L sedans. Though at straight lines the sedans have the edge, when it comes to the curves and bends, the Endy with its big Continental tyres provides a better grip thereby by not letting the speed to go down. Also breaking is top notch which gives an option of late breaking. I havent travelled in sedans much in highways, what I mentioned is just my observation while driving the Endy on highways. So people who drive sedans on highways can post their view points.
I use my Accent CRDi mainly on highways and been using it for last 5 years. What I have found is that Sedans definitely has an advantage on well surfaced highways when it comes to covering distances. They have better acceleration, they take corners faster. But when it comes to slightly potholed roads SUVs may cover more distance.

But the bigger question is, which is safer? SUV or a Sedan. Have a discussion on that.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:07   #53
BHPian

SUV's rock(solid)

SUV's do not cover perfectly laid highways at good speeds but considering that most of India does not have 4-lane highways , over bad and potholed roads (which hold true for a lot of today's NHs or atleast stretches ) they are decidedly faster and most comfortable because they do not
get thrown off the line when potholes or undulations come in the way.Sedans are good only for cities , highways. I love the way the Scorpio VLX with the
mHawk engine ( now available on all Scorpios except the M2Di) moves on most roads, it is a very very rapid mile eater.I have a very capable Indica Turbo and drive regularly at 100-130 kph but the way the Scorpio moved, I had sweaty hands keeping up with it , then gave up the chase!IT's very easy to cover good distances by tailing a fast-moving and well-driven vehicle.

Besides, most 4-lane highways never present too many cornering roads which don't really add to the equation.My thumbs up for the SUVs.But sedans yes if you want to cruise at 160 kph+ which is very rare in India.I'm sure the cars from the VW,BMW,Merc brigade manage consistent speeds over 150 and you don't feel a thing.Not experienced this but heard from many people.Maybe i'll write about it when I own a Skoda Superb
Old 20th August 2009, 22:57   #54
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Whatever. I can easily classify whatever you have written as tall claims.
Thats how I got to know about Hotel Niyaz in Belgaum. They spent an hour munching over some classic non-veg stuff.
Don't matter about your classification. And obviously I did not spend an hour munching . And then I also scraped my car a few times between Chitradurga & Ranibennur
Old 20th August 2009, 23:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

I've never till date seen an SUV overtake me. Enough said!
Old 20th August 2009, 23:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

It has to be the driver not the SUV or the Sedan

all cars this side of 4L are faster than Safari's Scorpio's and even endeavours,but some how i have noticed the SUV's to be travelling faster than usual sedans on road.
but any day they can be beaten by all the sedans being sold in the indian market.

With my personal experience fastest mode of travel on most indian roads,barring GQ and expressways would be bikes like Zma and bigger pulsars that can comfortably do speeds in the region of 100-125km\hr,you can squeeze through traffic,and you dont have to stop at tolls.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:13   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Highly debatable point here.
How true! On the NH-58 from Delhi to Meerut, any SUV goes faster than my Accent or Swift. They hog the roads, terrorise pedestrians and two-wheelers, and cut corners so fine one could get a shave in the gap.

On the NH-8, the same drivers somehow lose their nerve when speed climbs above 100 km/h. At 120 km/h, most SUVs have disappeared from my rear-view mirror. But then, I am getting myself an SUV too, and I don't foresee that it would make a difference to my driving style or pace.

Will let you know in a couple of months' time if there is a difference in my travel times.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

I have regularly done Delhi - Shimla in both my Scorpio and Marina. Every time I ahve noticed that I have completed the journey in lesser time in Marina than the Scorpio. Pit stops being equal. From what I have experienced I can differentiate the drives as follows:-
1. Marina allows me to drive atleast 15-20 kmph faster on the same stretches.
2. The body roll prevents high speed short distance manuvoures while overtaking in Scorpio.
3. Driving in hills is again faster as Marina has much more control over the side way throwarounds than the Scorpio.
4. Over broken roads and really bad surfaces the Scorpio is faster but then these stretches are far and few in between to have any real time imapct.

Just my two cents.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

it all depends on the road. if its an express highway, there is no debate that a sedan would be faster, given that the driver is not intentionally driving it slow.

but when it comes to single lane highways with some broken patches or rough surfaces, the sedans come to a halt & the SUV glides over.

overall, out on the highways, i prefer a SUV over a sedan as it is more comfortable, offers higher seating position & its bulk ensures other road users dont scare you out of the road.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

^^If you are going fast enough, other road users are just moving chicanes. They are never a bother .

Most Viewed