Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 12:09   #1
BANNED

Highway Travel:Are SUVs Faster than Cars??

Taking into account the general road conditions across our highways, which are of a varied nature, can SUVs cover distances faster than cars keeping all the other conditions the same?
Old 20th August 2009, 12:32   #2
BHPian

I certainly agree to this, our Endeavor easily overtakes most of the sub 15L sedans. Though at straight lines the sedans have the edge, when it comes to the curves and bends, the Endy with its big Continental tyres provides a better grip thereby by not letting the speed to go down. Also breaking is top notch which gives an option of late breaking. I havent travelled in sedans much in highways, what I mentioned is just my observation while driving the Endy on highways. So people who drive sedans on highways can post their view points.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
when it comes to the curves and bends, the Endy with its big Continental tyres provides a better grip thereby by not letting the speed to go down.
Highly debatable point here. I would like see others point of view here.
Quote:
I havent travelled in sedans much in highways, what I mentioned is just my observation while driving the Endy on highways. So people who drive sedans on highways can post their view points.
Expecting them really soon.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I certainly agree to this, our Endeavor easily overtakes most of the sub 15L sedans. Though at straight lines the sedans have the edge, when it comes to the curves and bends, the Endy with its big Continental tyres provides a better grip thereby by not letting the speed to go down. Also breaking is top notch which gives an option of late breaking. I havent travelled in sedans much in highways, what I mentioned is just my observation while driving the Endy on highways. So people who drive sedans on highways can post their view points.
not really. I do not know about the 3L version, but the 2.4L can easily be beaten by Civic,Corolla, Cedia and ANHC when it comes to acceleration on highways.

SUVs have a high center of gravity and cannot match Sedans when it comes to curves and bends.

But then again, SUVs are bought for a different purpose other than racing.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:50   #5
BHPian

Infact sedans are better than SUV at curves, you expect rollovers in SUV.

I think SUVs are better at speedbreaksers and pot holes, so no need to reduce speed that low which make them faster when you cross villages on highways.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
SUVs have a high center of gravity and cannot match Sedans when it comes to curves and bends.
I tend to agree here.

Additionally I think SUV's can be only marginally faster on bad, pot holed roads. Else the sedans or hatchbacks can beat them and be faster. I am sure a city,civic,corolla,and the likes will be faster in a corner as opposed to a Safari/Scorpio/Innova.

My opinion - Sedans are faster.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:52   #7
BANNED

My Experiences: Bangalore - Goa. Route via Panjim - Londa - Dharwad - Hubli - Chitradurga - Bangalore

I have been traveling up and down this roads for the past 5 years. Initial 2 years every month. Since past 2 years once a quarter or lesser.

Cars Used and time:

1. Maruti 800 (5Spd): Max - 13 hours 40 mins, Min - 10 hours 10 mins
2. Maruti Esteem: Max - 13 hours, Min - 9 hours 30 mins.
3. Maruti Baleno: Max - 11 hours 40 mins, Min - 11 hours.
4. Mahindra Classic: Max - 16 hours 45 mins, Min - 12 hours 30 mins - One trip only.
5. Mahindra Bolero: Max - 14 hours 10 mins, Min 8 hours 20 mins. - The min time was the only non stop drive ever.
6. New Honda City: Max - 12 hours 10 mins, Min - 10 hours 30 mins.
7. ANHC: Max - Max 10 hours 20 mins, Min 9 hours 45 mins.
8. Mahindra Scorpio - Max 10 hours 45 mins, Min 10 hours.

The minutes part is approximate. But i do keep a log of each long distance trip and it was around that time.

I drive at speeds that are manageable in each car. i.e for Bolero - never went above 100 kph or top speed for ANHC was 140 kmph.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2009, 12:55   #8

I think even i'd agree to the fact that SUV's r much better when it comes to highway driving . Although most of the petrol are sedans quicker then the SUV's feel much better on curves and are safer .
Also during night ,in a sedan even the low beams from the trucks n trailer's hit u in the eye . So ,due to the height ,its better off in an SUV.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

A sedan with a good supension that does not feel floaty at high speeds is definitely faster than an SUV on a highway. Sedans can definitely take curves much better than an SUV.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

SUVs are faster. Purely by my experience and road conditions prevailing. I have seen a Safari disappear on the horizon on not so good roads and also a Civic clobber everyone on good roads. So since the number of goods can be counted on finger tips in India I would like to vote for SUVs in reaching point A to B faster, under prevailing circumstances.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 20th August 2009 at 13:02.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

From my practical experience of driving on highways, I see Scorpios, Endys, Xtrails and Safaris being driven very fast although they are not exactly faster than cars.
Could be attributed to the drivers who drive these SUVs.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Faster only on bad roads due to high GC and harder/tougher suspension (I guess). Also, lot of people driving these SUVs/MUVs drive a lot more rash i.e. bully smaller cars out of their way. One reason why I have a tendency to hate these SUVs/MUVs.

Quote:
Terms you have used like more grip and late braking are not comparable unless the same driver is driving in the same style. Best way would be to do a braking distance test.

Having said that I highly highly doubt that any sub 20L SUV/MUV can out-brake and out-handle any car in the sub15L category.
Old 20th August 2009, 13:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

I too would tend to agree that if it is only about speed, the sedans will tend to be faster than the SUV's, all other things being equal !
Old 20th August 2009, 13:03   #14
Team-BHP Support

It depends on roads. If you are doing expressway travel or good road travel like NH1 GQ etc., a modern sedan will allow you to comfortably cruise at higher speeds.
But if roads are broken, in an SUV you will go faster over potholes etc.,
Old 20th August 2009, 13:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I certainly agree to this, our Endeavor easily overtakes most of the sub 15L sedans. Though at straight lines the sedans have the edge, when it comes to the curves and bends, the Endy with its big Continental tyres provides a better grip thereby by not letting the speed to go down.
I hope the hatches are also cars along with sedans (as the thread title says)

And nothing beats a responsive hatchback when it comes to the curves and bends though I would like to exclude tall boys hatchbacks.

Most Viewed