Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 00:16   #61
BHPian

I do Bangalore-Cochin regularly in my safari as well in my friend's corolla. When the road surface is good during summer, the corolla is faster as it is not that scary to do 140+ in a corolla, but the same in a safari is madness.

I prefer my safari over the corolla as I can confidently fight with the trucks in 2-lane highways and also in the rainy season when the road condition is horrible.
Old 21st August 2009, 01:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
The question is about highway driving. So lets not bring the bad roads part.
Unfortunately a sizeable percentage of our National Highways and an overwhelming majority of our State Highways can be called bad roads. There's no separating the two.

And except on those good roads, which are a minority, an SUV is faster, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
How true! On the NH-58 from Delhi to Meerut, any SUV goes faster than my Accent or Swift. They hog the roads, terrorise pedestrians and two-wheelers, and cut corners so fine one could get a shave in the gap.
There are have been many, many stretches where my car has been repeatedly pushed off the road (atleast the left wheels) by oncoming buses / trucks who drive in the centre of undivided highways. Had I been driving an SUV, I would have either not been pushed off or would have lost less speed on each of those occasions. That's the difference. Terrorizing two-wheelers and pedestrians is something, hopefully, you would not do after your acquisition.
Old 21st August 2009, 01:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

One word - no.

I've yet to find any SUV that got from point A to point B on highways quicker than I would get between the same two points in an equivalent cost saloon / hatch.
Old 21st August 2009, 07:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Considering the state of Indian Roads, SUVs have higher average speed if travelling between Point A TO B through the Indian Highways. Even though it will be the Sedans which have a higher top whack, it will be the SUV which will get you there faster.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:35   #65
BHPian

If you race, sedans will beat SUVs. However, give a person an SUV, he is likely to reach point B quicker. I feel, the high sitting position and a clear view of the road gives the SUV driver more confidence to drive faster than he normally wd drive a sedan. Also, I think, it is less stressful to drive an SUV
Old 21st August 2009, 09:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At 120 km/h, most SUVs have disappeared from my rear-view mirror.
Maybe that's because they're ahead of you ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I've never till date seen an SUV overtake me. Enough said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^If you are going fast enough, other road users are just moving chicanes. They are never a bother .
LOL
Old 21st August 2009, 09:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Well It is not seaden vs SUV on Indian roads because top speed for both is never utilized it is just the person behind the vehicles and copassangers.

For example a mad-max in Maruti-800 is always faster then a gentleman in SUV. Or an SUV full of bachelors will always be faster then a young man with his wife acting as speed governor in same SUV.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

Sedans are always faster than SUVs in the Sub 15L category. reason being Sedan by Nature is built closer to the road with a much lower CG (Center of Gravity) compared to SUV. This will make manuverability of SUVs a great deal tougher than Sedans. Power to Weight ratio of SUVs are much lesser than Sedans hence in sudden acceleration competition Sedans beat SUVs hands down. Most sedans have a much faster 0-100 figures than any SUV in India.

So question of SUVs faster than Sedans doesn't arise.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:21   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Terrorizing two-wheelers and pedestrians is something, hopefully, you would not do after your acquisition.
Well, I am the victim most of the time! I'm terrified and am terrorised by the two-wheelers and suicidal pedestrians who cut me off because I hesitate to charge at them like the fabled knights of yore! On the plus side, I've got a scratch-and-dent-free pair of cars... Plan to keep the SUV the same way too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Maybe that's because they're ahead of you ??
As I said, Suman...
Quote:
At 120 km/h, most SUVs have disappeared from my rear-view mirror.
I dare not take on the intrepid, super-rapid Dutt and his 3.0L racingus machinus giganticus, on the NH-8 or 58, in 2008 or 2058!
Old 21st August 2009, 10:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dare not take on the intrepid, super-rapid Dutt and his 3.0L racingus machinus giganticus, on the NH-8 or 58, in 2008 or 2058!
Are you kidding? On a serious note, I don't exceed 120 on the expressway........its dicey
Old 21st August 2009, 13:03   #71
BHPian

I am not biased. I drive an endeavour and even a lancer. You can even manoeuvre even a huge size SUV like endy in a city if you are skilled and confuse a swift.
On highways, SUVs seem faster, but i think sedans can cover up the distance better.

This discussion is highly debatable. And none can come up on a decision, because SUV lovers will also prasie SUVs and sedan lovers will be baised on theirs. It's an endless discussion my friends.

Lastly i can say it surely depends on the driver, how skilled he is.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:12   #72
Team-BHP Support

IMO it all depends on the road conditions, on the GQ the SUVs dont stand a chance, period. On most state highways the SUVs will be faster unless the sedan owners are willing to torture their cars.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:30   #73
BHPian

Considering the general condition of highways in India SUVs can maintain a better average speed.Also the high seating can help SUVs see oncoming traffic and obstacles better, so you can plan your overtaking or braking better, which kind of compensates for the lesser braking and maneuvering capabilities.Also with respect to turns, other than hair pin bends and ghat roads, SUVs can take the fastest path across the turn minimising body roll and less abrupt steering changes(Fastest path i refer to following a racing line pattern).Also while driving a sedan it is difficult to notice speed breakers and once bitten twice shy you will definitely slow down a bit .On bad roads while sedans go dead slow an SUV can easily keep average speed of 40 to 80 easily.
Old 21st August 2009, 14:47   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I have done Bangalore - Pune in 9.5 hours and that too in an India Xeta.
And then you changed your watch batteries in Pune right ?
Old 21st August 2009, 15:23   #75
Senior - BHPian

Depends on many factors :
1) Roads.
2) Vehicles involved.
3) Driver skills ( or lack of them, sometimes ).
4) Driving conditions ( day or night ).
5) Weather conditions.

I will try to explain the above factors with examples :
A sedan will beat out any SUV if the driver is having good experience. On NE-1 ( expresshighway between Ahmedabad and Vadodara ), any sedan, even Swift Dzire will beat out SUV till scorpio/Safari and even Pajero ( not montero ). Speeds in excess of 150 are possible for more than 70+ kms. If its a car like Baleno is in your hands, maintaining 160+ is not difficult that too for a very long stretch. The sedans feel safe here and most SUV cannot make up for the lost time.

But if we factor in long stretches of bad roads, SUV will have advantage. One needs to worry less about GC or damaging suspension or wearing out suspension faster.

Experience does help a lot. An inexperienced driver in G3HC ( ANHC ) vs an experiened driver in Safari 2.2 on normal highway and Safari will win.

In case of driving conditions, if its day, sedans will win, but if its night, then SUV are king. In Sedans, specially low slung sedans, the light from even two wheelers come in straight into eye. Trucks and busses are no different. In SUV this problem is largely eliminated. Also you can teach those bus drivers a lesson if they dont shift to low beam on highways.

In case of wet road surface, SUVs are not as stable as sedan in case of high speed braking. This is one factor I have seen on NE-1 around a month ago.

My final conclusion will be :
Head : SUV.
Heart : Sedan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks