Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 09:24   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san9jay View Post
Having bought a Superb 2009 three weeks ago this thread is making me very nervous.
Not sure if all Skoda customers require a daily dose of Saridon and BP medicine. Perhaps your car would turn out not to be a Monday morning special (for which VW is famous).

In 2007, Business Week's David Kiley, Senior Correspondent said that he had heard VW executives jokingly refer to glitchy vehicles as "Monday cars," which are cars built by workers on Monday morning after a weekend of revelry.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:29   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post

I feel that its only the bad/lemon car NEWS that makes to the net, because owners have a tendancy to look for help on the internet (rightly so) when they face some problems, not all satisfied owners come to the internet to tell their glorious stories of satisfaction (i'm no Skoda saviour) to the netizens.

Even though Skoda may have reliability issues (i say may, because which other car manufacturer doesnt have reliability issues) the overall percentage of disatisfied customers with problematic cars may not be any more exorbitant than other car makers, the thing which seprates them from others may be due to following reason,

While companies like Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Tata, Toyota, Honda among some others have robust dealers/service networks to their benefit, which ensures solving of problems at dealer level, Maruti even enjoys the advantge of cheap spares available in every nook and corner of India.

Still Skoda needs to get its act together and should start treating end consumer as the KING. (for starters they now give 2 years warranty on spares and accessories).
I think what differentiates Skoda from the other car manufacturers is the overall attitude towards customer issues. Compare that to the responsiveness that Fiat India has shown at the CXO level. Emails and feedback to the CEO seem to be heard genuinely and even responded to. And the impact is seen at the dealer levels as well.

In case of Skoda nobody cares. Looks like they still look at India as a third world country where anything goes.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:41   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
In 2007, Business Week's David Kiley, Senior Correspondent said that he had heard VW executives jokingly refer to glitchy vehicles as "Monday cars," which are cars built by workers on Monday morning after a weekend of revelry.
Actually the concern over Monday built cars is beautifully explained in Arthur Hailey's best selling book, "Wheels" - apparently this problem was notorious in Detroit in the 70s.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:38   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Not sure if all Skoda customers require a daily dose of Saridon and BP medicine.
Not really. When I bought my Superb knowing very well about the Skoda issues as highlighted by this forum I made a very conscious decision. In my mind I have depreciated my car 100% already and enjoy every day that it works fine without any issues. You buy this car not because you need it but because you want it at the price offered. If and when the dreadful day comes I am going it write it off (as in a bad deal) and salvage whatever could be in a resale .
Old 27th August 2009, 11:42   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAutobot View Post
I think what differentiates Skoda from the other car manufacturers is the overall attitude towards customer issues. Compare that to the responsiveness that Fiat India has shown at the CXO level. Emails and feedback to the CEO seem to be heard genuinely and even responded to. And the impact is seen at the dealer levels as well.

In case of Skoda nobody cares. Looks like they still look at India as a third world country where anything goes.
Isn't that the case?
You know any developed country where such cases against Auto makers would be taken so lightly?
Old 27th August 2009, 11:51   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Not really. When I bought my Superb knowing very well about the Skoda issues as highlighted by this forum I made a very conscious decision. In my mind I have depreciated my car 100% already and enjoy every day that it works fine without any issues. You buy this car not because you need it but because you want it at the price offered. If and when the dreadful day comes I am going it write it off (as in a bad deal) and salvage whatever could be in a resale .
That is a good way of looking at it. But that is after going through a case like mine. What if you bought the car spending your hard earned money not aware of these problems. In this case I am feeling cheated.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:53   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Actually the concern over Monday built cars is beautifully explained in Arthur Hailey's best selling book, "Wheels" - apparently this problem was notorious in Detroit in the 70s.
This problem has been endemic in all mass production lines with repetitive jobs day in, day out. In fact, this factor caused high turnover at Ford, and soon their historic announcement of $5/day. However, this is OT.

What I had quoted was not some adjective used by anyone, but something said by VW.

Regarding Skoda, I fail to understand why Skoda gets high marks in Europe, but such low marks here. However, having bought and suffered a European product/derivative before (Opel), I have a fair clue as to why.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:59   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The Skoda's reliability issues are part of the problem the real problem is the way the dealers react and the degree of support Skoda offers.

I still think that Skoda will NOT offer a new car to Gagan. What they should be expected to do however is to correct all the faults (not just the gear box) and return the car to Gagan with a new warranty that beigns the day he gets the re-furbished car.

I thought Skoda offered a 4 year warranty on the Superb.

The Superb is a killer car at a killer price. Every time I drive it I get the itch to get one but Skoda's service woes are keeping me at bay.
So you are also worried about SKODA woes and not buying superb.

My friend would you risk the life of your family in a defective car like mine just because you bought it. The high headed attitude of SKODA treats customers like S_____. Hey man we are not some third world under-developed country who will accept all this. We as Indians understand our rights and very well know how to fight for them.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:02   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
+1. I feel the same way. Though i have been using skoda superb 2.8 for more than 4 years, i haven't faced any of the problems yet, and i cross my fingers to it.
If something happens, i am gonna sell it off.

But yes Mr.Navin is right, superb is a classic car with all the goodies at an attractive price. Some defaults arise but not to every skoda, many of our T-bhpians do own a superb. But the dealers are the problem.

Last edited by Dante : 27th August 2009 at 12:07.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:03   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

I doubt the experience of the 70's assembly lines is very relevant today.

Today the assembly lines are largely robot based. Robots generally do not go out for a weekend of revelry and hence monday is just another day.

That said you can still get a lemon. Any mass produced part has a percentage of failures. Manufacturers usually do a random sampling to test the quality of the parts. Since not every part is tested you could get a bad part in your car.

If its your bad luck that your car has one or more of those bad parts you have effectively got yourself what used to be known as a monday morning car.

/sanjay
Old 27th August 2009, 12:04   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAutobot View Post

But in case of skoda India I have written numerous mails to their MD Mr. Thomas Kuehl and their GM as well but all of them go unanswered. They are just not bothered.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:11   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post
But in case of skoda India I have written numerous mails to their MD Mr. Thomas Kuehl and their GM as well but all of them go unanswered. They are just not bothered.
Do not expect any reply atleast from the M.D. and GM. They won't reply.
Even if try to call them, they would hardly allow you to talk directly to their GM.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:21   #178
BHPian

But is that the kind of treatment we should get after spending our hard earned money on their products. In todays world even if you buy a product worth a few hundred ruppes and find it defective their is a grevience redressal system to it and the management is ready to listen to your problems. But in this case I spent almost 20 lakhs on the product and still this attitude.

JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE
Old 27th August 2009, 13:04   #179
Team-BHP Support

Mr Anand has a Superb with some faults = Yes
Skoda have attempted to rectify faults = Yes... only after a lot of noise
Skoda have reassured Mr Anand that the car will perform properly = No - a warranty is not enough. Mr Anand wants to be sure he doens not need to use the warranty.
Skoda have made an effort to make Mr Anand a commited customer by going the extra mile = NO

What would I have done if I was Skoda

1: Acknowledge that the car had some faults. explain the causes and remedies and ensure he understands that no other failure should happen. Offer to replace car the next time arround and get Skoda's commitment for this

2: Test the car for a week - give Mr Anand a demo car to use, swap demo car with another if a customer test drive is required for a particular model.

3: Personally follow up on this - If Mr Anand has lost confidence, give another Superb for him to use on a long journey until he is sure that his car is okay.

4: Ensure the senior dealer or members of Skoda take an interest. Mr Anand is dealing with the monkeys in the machine. As in another thread, a friends Honda got submerged at the dealer. Although nothing is happening, the MD and his sone are personally handling the whole thing.

Skoda remembered the car but forgot about the sale experience

I remember when the e36 BMW 3 came out. It had big problems on the first batch of cars in the UK but no one complained. BMW rounded up the cars, sorted them out, ensured owners were confident, offered a no quibble refund. All done quietly.

Slapping a warranty extension on Mr Anand is like giving him a gun to use in a law and order situation as opposed to defusing the situation
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2009, 19:38   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The Audi's 1.8 is the same engine but in a higher tune hence it may require 93 octane. However the superb is detuned to 160bhp, which I guess make's it compliant with regular unleaded.
@Sahil, the Superb is not detuned!! Both the Audi 1.8TFSI and the Superb make 160bhp in UK and Europe, and same is the case in India. IMHO, this is not a wise step by Skoda...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks