Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 19:01   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
Is VW using 1.8 TSI engine in any of its own models anywhere in the world ? VW putting this engine in their own brand cars will be a testimony that they have confidence in it.

Quality is the ability to stick to the stated specifications. If a software product claims that the tool can crash up to 100 times for every 10000 runs, then you can't call it a poor quality software as long as the crash count stays within the stated specification. You can, however, call the spec to be inferior. So, anyone can be obsessed with quality as long as he clearly mentions all the product defects upfront and a customer can't find a problem that's not listed in the spec.
bmws also have this issue in the intinal kms its a german trait..

Last edited by Berj79 : 17th February 2010 at 19:02.
Old 17th February 2010, 19:29   #317
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Can Accord/Camry owners share some inputs about their experiences with the oil consumption ?

This looks to be a problem specific with turbocharged petrol engines, i googled this topic but could not get much information. Im not sure technically Does the turbo consume more oil to remain within operating temperatures etc etc ?

All said and done, there is nothing normal with 0.5 L consumption for every 1000 kms, so say every 5000 kms done the owner needs to be ready to top up upto 2.5 ltrs of synthetic engine oil ?? Isn't that an unnecessary nuisance ? not to mention risky if one is undertaking a long highway journey ?
Old 17th February 2010, 20:28   #318
BHPian

well my earlier car in which the DSG gearbox failed had done more than 10000 Kms before it was exchanged but it did not conume any oil. why this variation. More so if it is normal for skodas to consume oil then why on earth did skoda conduct and endoscopy on my car engine.
Old 17th February 2010, 20:33   #319
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language posts are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2010 at 15:06.
Berj79 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th February 2010, 16:57   #320
BHPian

god save skoda. in todays modern world they want me to check and top up engine oil every tankfull of petrol or going out on the highway. amazing qualty. Just by mentioning their weak point in the owners manual that the car can consume upto 500 ml engine oil per 1000 kms they can cheat us by telling us that this defect is a norm. amazing
Old 18th February 2010, 17:55   #321
BHPian

High Performance Engine/Car will always require, high maintenance one way or other.
Old 18th February 2010, 18:02   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

I find it strange if the Skoda guys say its normal. I have never heard of or experienced any car that consumes that much oil, none of my car has needed a top up of oil ever, thats for several lakhs of kms.

Such a nice car with pathetic support.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:50   #323
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb : One can understand 3/5 star, and now the 6th star as the 500ml /1000kms. What's the 7th Star for? service/issue/kms?
Old 18th February 2010, 22:25   #324
BHPian

Well, I have a 1.2 fabia elegance, though I have my own set of problem with the car. I did got the engine oil changed at 8000 km for the first time and it was below acceptable levels. when I got the engine oil changed at 15000km, the oil level was at its lowest point. Considering my engine is small capacity (3L of oil) and consumed around 200 ml of oil every 8000km, yours is a turbo charged 1.8 TSI. So, my be its normal. I would suggest you to observe the same at 15000km and if it still consumes such oil. I would suggest you to sell your car and go for the Japs. Peace of mind is more important than the build quality of the car. We have learned it the hard way. I would like to share another experience with you all, yesterday I was at Giriraj motors and I say a new Laura TSI. The car was a day old from showroom and the owner told that the cars rear alloy wheels cracked at high speed. And imagine his sorrow just a day with the car and this. BTW I an planning now too sell mine and buy something more reliable and peace of mind but less on quality which Skoda is so obsessed with.

Cheers
Old 18th February 2010, 22:59   #325
BHPian

Did you notice that VW don't put these cutting-edge TSI petrol engines in their own brand cars even though they invented this technology ? They have FSI for 2.0L segment but not the same TSI that Skoda uses. Even Polo is not getting TSI (as per the tech spec in their website). Is VW using Skoda to field test this new TSI technology ?

The two widely reported problems with TSI engine (1.8L) are

1. Engine stalls at low RPM (less than 15km/hr speed)
- One can avoid this problem by shifting frequently to 1st gear in thick traffic conditions but that would lead to shorter clutch life
- No wonder, Skoda launched a special Clutch campaign

2. Too much engine oil consumption

Unfortunately, none of them can be called defect as Skoda documented it and made the customer aware of it. So these are now "features" - at least technically speaking.

For latest technologies, it may be safer to follow VW and not Skoda. VW will not put an unproven technology in their models as a lot is at stake and they play in competitive US market with an eye to topple Toyota in global market share.
Old 18th February 2010, 23:23   #326
Team-BHP Support

half a litre of shell helix ultra every 1000kms is like Rs.0.50/km extra in running cost. That's huge.

I know the VW diesel engines are oil thirsty but never knew the TSI suffered from this as well.

Like someone mentioned the 1.8TSi is a high performance engine which has been stretched close to the limit. 160PS from a small capacity 1.8L mill means the engine works hard and drinks a bit of oil.

As Ajmat mentioned I believe this happens for the first 10,000kms after which it settles down to acceptable levels.
Old 18th February 2010, 23:42   #327
Senior - BHPian

[quote=vid6639;1740408] 160PS from a small capacity 1.8L mill means the engine works hard and drinks a bit of oil.

I think you have a point here. That explains why my 2000 model Lancer diesel which generates a puny 68 BHP doesn't lose even 200 ml oil after 5000 kms even when driven at 150-160 kph.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:43   #328
BHPian

well I feel there should be an end to these companies taking us for a ride. There has to be a way out that they cannot term a defect as a norm just by documenting the same in the owners manual ???
Old 19th February 2010, 13:00   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post
well I feel there should be an end to these companies taking us for a ride. There has to be a way out that they cannot term a defect as a norm just by documenting the same in the owners manual ???
Don't you think it's too early to jump to conclusions. Like it's been stated before the germans do have a tendency to drink oil in the initial kms. So why not give it till the first service to really decide if this "defect" is a norm or not ?

Also, you clearly seem very unhappy with the car hence I had asked earlier, why not sell the car and get something else? The Superb would still hold a good value in the used car market since yours is new, you also would benefit from this replaced car as opposed to your initial first car's purchase date. Go in for a 3 series or Accord, Honda's are known to be more hassle free.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:52   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Don't you think it's too early to jump to conclusions. Like it's been stated before the germans do have a tendency to drink oil in the initial kms. So why not give it till the first service to really decide if this "defect" is a norm or not ?

Also, you clearly seem very unhappy with the car hence I had asked earlier, why not sell the car and get something else? The Superb would still hold a good value in the used car market since yours is new, you also would benefit from this replaced car as opposed to your initial first car's purchase date. Go in for a 3 series or Accord, Honda's are known to be more hassle free.
i second that, what sahil is saying is right, sell the car & MOVE ON
Closed Thread

Most Viewed