Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 14:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to see another skoda thread. Gagan did you pay 2k for the recovery truck towing?.
Old 21st August 2009, 14:19   #62
BHPian

No as of now the company paid the towing charge. And now for the point raised fellow aaggoswami. Skoda is willingly changing the gear box under warranty. the question here is of relibility factor with this car and more so something or the other keeps on going bad in this car since the beginning. Plesae let me know what ACI is and how to become a member
Old 21st August 2009, 14:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post
Skoda is willingly changing the gear box under warranty. the question here is of relibility factor with this car and more so something or the other keeps on going bad in this car since the beginning. Plesae let me know what ACI is and how to become a member
Yes, its hard to have faith in any car that has given trouble from beginning. But that is all what we can do and hope that the reliability is good after the faulty parts are replaced.

About ACI, ACI = AutoCar India.

You can contact them and ask whether they are taking case without subscription or not. Earlier to the best of my knowledge, they were taking cases only if the reporting person is a subscriber to ACI.
The news-stand copy of ACI will cost Rs. 80. Next month its anniversary issue, so it will be a costlier ( as per my previous experience ).
Each issue has a subscription form in it.
Old 21st August 2009, 15:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

.....another one bites the dust.
Great cars and great pricing perhaps (at least on the surface if it) but is buying a Skoda really worth it? This may be one case in hundreds of new Superbs sold but these horror stories seem to happen with awful regularity with Skoda. Buying one is like playing Russian roulette. I wouldn't touch the brand with a barge pole.
Old 21st August 2009, 15:35   #65
BHPian

I am sorry for the owner. Like DGCA, TRAI, TDSAT we need some legal system to give fast justice for cars cases like this. Unfortunately ARAI do not have authority, else they would have tested product for the defect and GOI tribunal could order SKODA to replace car and also charge big penalty for providing such product. I think RTO can vouch for this and give certificate the car is defective.
I am not sure who can order skoda to replace. I think apart from court, someone else should have this authority.
I am listening to all SKODA issues many times, not sure why people buy it.
The best solution is skoda returns money with interest. Selling car is nothing but pushing your issues to someone else. Car needs to scrapped, need to go to dumping station, something like Scrap Car USA - Junk Vehicle Disposal
If it stops on Eway like Pune- Mumbai it will kill all occupants and also occupants in other car/ truck, who will hit.

If someone steals the car, then owner will get money from insurance without much problem.
I am sorry, may be too stupid but I will suggest to get away from it. Life is more important.
Take care....
next time buy Maruti, Tata, Mahindra, Toyota but never buy SKODA, VW.
Old 21st August 2009, 15:46   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post
...Skoda is changing the complete gear box of my car but you know tha does not give me the confidence in the car...
Well luckily you are in warranty.

Another shocking and fairly common complaint with Skoda aftersales is fraudulent activity!
This is something you should probably keep an eye out for - especially as you begin to near the end of your warranty.

There have been cases where entire components (which were working perfectly well) have been replaced with FAKE or used components without the owners knowledge :
Link

Infact i have even heard of a case where a dealership stole the customers brand new michelins and replaced them with some other used tyres when the car had gone for a service.

Heres another one of the dealer changing a customers alloys for some other wheels :
Link

If this kind of stuff can happen blatantly on the outside of the car -- do keep a keen eye on the internals, and don't hesitate to also get the opinion of a experienced 3rd party mechanic.

Goodluck.
cya
R

PS - heres a compiled list of most of the Skoda horror stories seen on Team-BHP, other websites and consumer complaint sites : Link
(Your thread has been added to this list)

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2009 at 15:48.
Old 21st August 2009, 15:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

@gagananand: Sorry to learn about the issues. If I were you I would let Skoda replace not just the individual components of your car but the complete car. It is outright annoying for a customer of a new vehicle to have his car replaced part by part.

I am so annoyed seeing this case as I was totally in love with the new petrol engine and was about to take my mother for her test ride. I do not wish her stranded in the middle of the road. I will realign my expectations, I am risk-averse.

All the best!
Old 21st August 2009, 15:59   #68
BHPian

Spend 20+ lakhs and take home headache and heartache free. There is nothing great in the pricing now.

Gagan : You are right with the reliability part. Wonder, how many more parts will be replaced under warranty.

@Rehaan : Dealers are changing alloy wheels and tyres of the customers' cars??????

Last edited by mnhegde : 21st August 2009 at 16:05.
Old 21st August 2009, 16:16   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Gagan- Thanks for posting the pics & job card. My worsest nightmare is true

I got the 1.8 Superb few weeks back and it's barely done 700kms. Let's hope that your case is the first and last one, but if Skoda's past is anything to judge by there might be a lot more worms.

I learned my lesson a few years back when I bought the C-class in 2001, it was the third C180 in Mumbai. The car was a terror, I have learned never to buy the initial first or second batch of a german car as most lemons come out from the first batches. Since you got your car in March it probably was the first batch out of the factory?

Your anger is justified but the car being new and under warranty is a boon. Skoda will have to go out of it's way to do whatever is needed to rectify each problem. You could fight for a replacement but that will be a hard battle. The other best alternative would be to try and get an extended warranty or maintenance package free. And if all fails just get the car working and sell it off before warranty period is over.
Old 21st August 2009, 16:18   #70
Senior - BHPian

Lucky that the car is still in warranty. I bet Skoda would have stiffed the OP for a couple of lakhs at least otherwise.

Gagan: Once the car is fixed to some reasonable extent, get rid of it asap. You don't want this turkey around your neck for a few more years.
Old 21st August 2009, 16:21   #71
Senior - BHPian

VW has announced a recall of its group cars in US and Europe over alleged DSG transmission failures due to software malfunction.

Hope this follows in India also.
Old 21st August 2009, 17:43   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ouch, yet another Skoda victim. As impressed as I have been with the Superb's price & equipment, I have always had massive reservations on its reliability. In fact, I just commented on the same on Sahil's ownership thread yesterday. I'm not that surprised to hear of your issues and good luck to Superb owners for the longer run.

Only wish you'd researched on the forum prior to buying a Skoda. I suggest dropping a PM to "Skoda Corporate" with your grievances (a notification email is sent out to them anyways). After all, Skoda has *promised* to directly look into any significant problems that their customers may have. Here's to hoping that your car is back on the road soon.

P.S. I've had several Accord versus Superb queries come by way in the recent past. I've recommended either the Honda, or asked them to wait for the Fortuner. Glad I took the safer, more conservative, route for those who were basing their decisions on my advice.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2009, 18:12   #73
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading that Skoda started some online complaint registration procedure saying that they need to know customer's problem directly and that the problems don't reach their corporate through dealer. This was in the harshiv case, does any one remember what exactly was that?
Old 21st August 2009, 18:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

Attention Tech Gurus...

Somebody riddle me this... If the gearbox is faulty, why wont the engine start?

Even if the gearbox is stuck in one gear, once the clutch is depressed, the engine should start... right??
Old 21st August 2009, 19:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Somebody riddle me this... If the gearbox is faulty, why wont the engine start?

Even if the gearbox is stuck in one gear, once the clutch is depressed, the engine should start... right??
Not a guru, but for normal car this works. Here, some users have mentioned that they had faced similar situation Octavia and the was simply not responding. So, here ECU can also be one of the culprits and so the engine did not start. This is my version. Would love to see if others are able to throw some light on this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed