Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:27   #106
BHPian

Skoda "Simply Clever" in cheating
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb 2009 - 1st car replaced, 2nd Seized - Rs. Refunded now - Case Closed!-skoda.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2009, 14:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

To everyone on this thread who is suspecting fuel quality how actually 95 RON or 91 RON can make difference to gearbox ?

I saw so many Skoda problem threads most of them are related to mechanical failures like clutch , flywheel , gearbox and very few related to injector gumming , fuel pump conking off or problem with head or piston rings or knocking of engine which may be indicative of bad fuel quality.

I think user ajmat has posted various week links in Skodas which point to mechanical issues rather then fuel related issues.

So I think it is safe to assume it is poor build quality of Skoda India engines and transmission components and not fuel which needs to be blamed.

I would reiterate again as I have done in countless other threads build quality just does not mean fit and finish of interior or that thud sound of door. Thud sound just means a better rubber beading , rubber ingots and damped panel not even steel gauge thickness.

Build quality also means quality of fastners used ( nuts , bolts , rivets) . quality of mechanical components such as clutch , flywheel , tie rods , knuckle joints etc so that any of these do not fail after repeated operations on bad potholed roads.
Build quality also means the quality of seals , washers and damping and mounting rubber ingots so that they do not give up after few months. And of course build quality should include filters and sensors as well.

From the description on the various skoda complaints it seems Skodas have poor build quality when it comes to under the hood.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd August 2009 at 14:30.
Old 23rd August 2009, 18:11   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Gagan, what are they replacing in your car and by when? If they are replacing the gearbox/ECU/power steering system and AC unit then it should be fine.

They should also extend your warranty FOC for the trouble caused.

I don't think you can expect more than that in India.

If they are ready to replace the necessary parts that is atleast in improvement in their service.

The cars are problematic all of us know. The TSI engine is supposed to run on 95 RON and I did not get any proper confirmation whether any tuning was done for indian 91 RON fuel when I was considering the Superb.

Also did you drive over any waterlogged roads?
No I did not drive on warelogged roads. hardly any rains in delhi this year. But how does that make a difference. should we stop driving these so called highend cars when it rains . we have been driving the lancers, corollas or hondas through water for ages now
Now I am scared to drive this piece as I am scared what fault is next in store for me? too scared
Old 23rd August 2009, 18:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

VW DSG gearboxes have long known to be troublesome. In fact, just yesterday, VW recalled some 13,500 cars equipped with their DSG 'box (Jetta included) because of a sensor issue causing the 'box to turn on the CEL and in extreme cases, refuse to shift from N.

The 7 speed box, which is in the TSIs is supposed to be more reliable as it is a dry clutch setup. God knows how the TDIs with the 6 speed, fantastically unreliable DSG box will fare. Skoda engines and transmission components are not manufactured in India. They are all imported. So one has to wonder if all the VAG group cars in India are as failure prone as they all use the same components. There have been reports of brand new A4s losing their AC and the AC is a terminal problem with all Skoda models.

Maybe we aren't seeing any of these problems with other VAG cars simply because they don't sell as much as Skodas.

Who knows, maybe this is all the tip of the iceberg? Maybe VAG is offloading all it's second rate components in India?

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 23rd August 2009 at 18:33.
Old 23rd August 2009, 18:54   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
VW DSG gearboxes have long known to be troublesome. In fact, just yesterday, VW recalled some 13,500 cars equipped with their DSG 'box (Jetta included) because of a sensor issue causing the 'box to turn on the CEL and in extreme cases, refuse to shift from N.

The 7 speed box, which is in the TSIs is supposed to be more reliable as it is a dry clutch setup. God knows how the TDIs with the 6 speed, fantastically unreliable DSG box will fare. Skoda engines and transmission components are not manufactured in India. They are all imported. So one has to wonder if all the VAG group cars in India are as failure prone as they all use the same components. There have been reports of brand new A4s losing their AC and the AC is a terminal problem with all Skoda models.

Maybe we aren't seeing any of these problems with other VAG cars simply because they don't sell as much as Skodas.

Who knows, maybe this is all the tip of the iceberg? Maybe VAG is offloading all it's second rate components in India?
Hey then we need to wake uo and go deeper inside this because these kind of failures on Indian highways will lead to heavy casualties. we need to do something so that such defective cars/parts are not allowed in our country.

Well I was lucky enough as this gearbox or whatever failure happened on Delhi road that too at night when the road was empty.
I thank my stars for the same
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:54   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Gagan, what are they replacing in your car and by when? They should also extend your warranty FOC for the trouble caused.

Also did you drive over any waterlogged roads?
Gagan, You should demand a new warranty that starts from the date you get your car back. Skoda needs to be penalised for all the trouble they put their customers through.

Viddy, I have driven my 1.8TPi Octy though 26/7 (the car was atlest bumper deep in water for 8 hours) and other than some electronics (air bag sensor) it survived. This problem has nothing to do with water logging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post
I started facing problems with the airconditioner. There was no cooling I used to sweat. also the parking sensors malfunctioned as well as the stereo. After 6 visits and about 18 days at workshop they recharged gas and oil to system several changed ignition switch. Now on 9th august midnight the car halted in middle of road everything jammed including the steering, gears, engine etc. I could not start or move the car.
When I first read this post I had to re-read this just ot make sure I had not missed anything.

Some months back while I was on a highway my vRS (Octy 1.8TPi) has a ECM sensor light come on and the car sort of lost all power. We (my driver was driving) managed to bring the car to a gentle stop on the shoulder. I called Autobahn. They told me to switch off the engine and start again. I did that and the engine sprang to light only that the ECM light was still on.

I called Autobahn again and they told me to bring the car to them (since I was halfway between Mumbai and Pune). Since the car was otherwise working well I decided to drive it to them. Halfway I stopped the car to visit a vendor that we work with. The meeting lasted about 2 hours. I half expected the car not to start.

But start it did and the ECM light did not come on either. Anyway I sent the car to Autobahn and they found some wires that had come loose. I will never take the Skoda on the highway (long distance). I have lost faith in the Skoda's reliabilty.

Quote:
Skoda is changing the complete gear box of my car but you know tha does not give me the confidence in the car. The way car stopped in middle of the road is scary. What if all this had happened on a highway at high speed or moreso while overtaking.
Quote:
the question here is of relibility factor with this car
Quote:
Hey then we need to wake uo and go deeper inside this because these kind of failures on Indian highways will lead to heavy casualties. we need to do something so that such defective cars/parts are not allowed in our country.
Gagan your posts echo mine. A car has to be reliable to begin with. Without reliability, any performance or pirce advantage does not make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. I've had several Accord versus Superb queries come by way in the recent past. I've recommended either the Honda, or asked them to wait for the Fortuner. Glad I took the safer, more conservative, route for those who were basing their decisions on my advice.
The Fortuner is an SUV right? Will it's ride quality be equal to that of a sedan like the Accord, Superb, Camry or even the Altis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Keep this thread updated Gagan so we can all benefit from the experience.
Gagan do let us know what eventually happened. What did they change? Did they extend your warranty?
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:46   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Gagan do let us know what eventually happened. What did they change? Did they extend your warranty?
Thanks
They have changed the gearbox got a call yesterday evening. I have zero confidence in the car. Not worried about extended warranty or something. Just cannot risk my life with this car it is too precious to barter with extended warranty.
will post the Pctures of gearbox being chaned tomorrow and also a closeup view of the DSG gear box
Old 24th August 2009, 10:00   #113
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=amitk26;1442837]Gagan I have my full sympathy with you, I can only say people should use various threads on T-BHP to do research before buying so that they do not end up posting their woes later on.
I am not saying that one should not a buy a product with negative reviews but at least the buying decision should be informed choice and a calculated risk.

We are happy that you did your bit by e-mailing the link to Skoda but still I see an attempt to defend the undefensible.

Can you please explain what is the reason of writing the portion highlighted in the bold in your post above ?

Secondly the picture shows car in crane and 2000 Rs bill for the flat bed two truck and cairn , Do you think customers pay this just for stereo , AC and reverse sensor fix ?
quote]

Though the problem is proven to be that of the gearbox now, one must still say that the service bill attached did not / does not seem relavent. (Inspite of the towing bill due to lack of a service card with the current problem stated.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post

ACM, no offence meant buddy, but how about checking http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1442343.
Or is it like you already did, but yet not satisfied?
I think he was posting the pictures as I was posting at my end about the same time. No offence indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Gagan- Thanks for posting the pics & job card. My worsest nightmare is true

I learned my lesson a few years back when I bought the C-class in 2001, it was the third C180 in Mumbai. The car was a terror, I have learned never to buy the initial first or second batch of a german car as most lemons come out from the first batches. Since you got your car in March it probably was the first batch out of the factory?

Your anger is justified but the car being new and under warranty is a boon. Skoda will have to go out of it's way to do whatever is needed to rectify each problem. You could fight for a replacement but that will be a hard battle. The other best alternative would be to try and get an extended warranty or maintenance package free. And if all fails just get the car working and sell it off before warranty period is over.
So even the mercs did have similar issues, He have already heard of issues with the Audi as on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
VW has announced a recall of its group cars in US and Europe over alleged DSG transmission failures due to software malfunction.

Hope this follows in India also.
Guess this is then a VW group thing.

[quote=navin;1446098]Gagan, You should demand a new warranty that starts from the date you get your car back. Skoda needs to be penalised for all the trouble they put their customers through.

WONT HAPPEN, LETS NOT BOTHER, JUST HOPE THE CAR OWNER GET A PROPERLY WORKING CAR BACK ASAP.

Viddy, I have driven my 1.8TPi Octy though 26/7 (the car was atlest bumper deep in water for 8 hours) and other than some electronics (air bag sensor) it survived. This problem has nothing to do with water logging.

AGREE THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WATER LOGGING.

Some months back while I was on a highway my vRS (Octy 1.8TPi) has a ECM sensor light come on and the car sort of lost all power. We (my driver was driving) managed to bring the car to a gentle stop on the shoulder. I called Autobahn. They told me to switch off the engine and start again. I did that and the engine sprang to light only that the ECM light was still on.

But start it did and the ECM light did not come on either. Anyway I sent the car to Autobahn and they found some wires that had come loose. I will never take the Skoda on the highway (long distance). I have lost faith in the Skoda's reliabilty.

TRUE THIS IS THE KIND OF IMPACT THE LAURA HAS HAD ON ME AS WELL, ONCE i DROVE FROM lONAVALA - AMBY VALLEY TO MUMBAI WITH A BURST TURBO PIPE. (lEAKING PIPE) TUBBO DID SURVIVE THAT, BUT IT WAS LIKE DRIVING A 60 BHP LAURA GEARED FOR 105 BHP.

YET HAVE TILL DATE COMPLETED AT LEAST 15,000 KMS ON THE HIGHWAYS ALONE AND THE CAR HAS OVER ALL WORKED FINE. LET ME FIND SOME WOOD TO TOUCH.

The Fortuner is an SUV right? Will it's ride quality be equal to that of a sedan like the Accord, Superb, Camry or even the Altis?

NOPE AN SUV IS AN SUV - IT IS BUILT ON THE INOVA PLATFORM WHICH THOUGH CAR LIKE IS KNOW QUITE AN ALTIS.
quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

EXACTLY MY THOUGHTS, IT SEEMS TO BE MORE TO DO WITH VAG THAN SKODA, FINALLY IT MAY NOT BE THAT MUCH TO DO WITH THE INTEGRATION THAT SKODA DOES, BUT THE VAG PARTS ITSELF.

UNLIKELY TO BIG A SCAM FOR VAG TO TRY
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
To everyone on this thread who is suspecting fuel quality how actually 95 RON or 91 RON can make difference to gearbox ?

I think user ajmat has posted various week links in Skodas which point to mechanical issues rather then fuel related issues.

So I think it is safe to assume it is poor build quality of Skoda India engines and transmission components and not fuel which needs to be blamed.

YEP FUEL QUALITY CANNOT BE BLAMED BUT NEITHER IS THE BUILD QUALITY POOR, IT SEEMS TO BE SPECIFIC TO DSG, TURBO AND AC COMPONENTS THAT VAG SUPPLIES TO SKODA.

Build quality also means quality of fastners used ( nuts , bolts , rivets) . quality of mechanical components such as clutch , flywheel , tie rods , knuckle joints etc so that any of these do not fail after repeated operations on bad potholed roads.
Build quality also means the quality of seals , washers and damping and mounting rubber ingots so that they do not give up after few months. And of course build quality should include filters and sensors as well.

From the description on the various skoda complaints it seems Skodas have poor build quality when it comes to under the hood.

YEP BUT AS I MENTIONED IT JUST BE THAT THE DSG TECHNOLOGY IS QUESTIONABLE FOR OUR MARKETS
Old 24th August 2009, 11:36   #114
evo
BHPian

Hmm. So the Superb too bites the dust. The 40 Lakh car at 20 Lakh that just doesnt drive.

I`m so disgusted. That too this product was launched after the entire brouhaha on TeamBhp. And yet, Skoda refuses to learn? With their so called New Superb, they could have quickly replaced the car, if not that, atleast a replacement vehicle till a nearly new car gets fixed.

In Kolkata, the Skoda dealer goes around the place telling people that the Superb is a Mercedes at half price. In terms of reliability that seems quite true, doesnt it?

Its funny how VW is using Skoda as a learning ground and before the Skoda *** woes affect VW, they started their service inclusive offers. But not on Skoda!

A friend of mine is hell bent upon buying a Superb, he claims thats its such good value that even if the *** is really expensive, it`ll still be worth it. I said ohkay, and what if the car behaves in a manner that poses a risk to your safety? So finally, it seems he is thinking twice.

Its really strange how they seem to be deliberately messing things up with their arrogant attitude. Even if you consider Harish and me and the others as so called low end customers (which is a dumb thing to do), Gagan bought their flagship product. And yet, nada.

Strange are the ways of the Czekh people.
Old 24th August 2009, 12:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

ACM no offense meant buddy but a customer buys whole car not components individually the ensuring the QC of suppliers is job of SKODA so if it DSG then also SKODA is responsible.

Now look at the Ajmat's thread on Skoda Achilles heel , Gearbox is not the only thing and as I said build quality is not just fit and finish of the cabin and panels.
Old 24th August 2009, 12:42   #116
BHPian

Well thanks for the response fellow BHP-IANS.

Skoda 's top officials do not even acknowledge your mails. The ones who answer talk of skoda standards and that the parts are being sourced and the car will be repaired. On my repeatedly asking them for a standby replacement car they have not even touched that topic once.

Nothing personnel but ine of the senior skoda officer during a telephonic conversation that the faulty part Mechatronics(part of the gearbox) has no predictable life. Its life can vary from 500 to 100000 Kms. Wow what dependabilty , even a Bicycle maufacturer will not use such an undependable part in his product. I for sure know that all manufacturers while sourcing their components carry out certain life cycle tests on componenets and such major failures are not acceptable and that too in such crutical components. And if at all it does happen then the vendor is penalised heavily.

WELL I THINK THESE COMPANIES COMING TO INDIA ARE TAKING US INDIANS FOR GRANTED AND MAYBE TRYING TO DUMP ALL DEFECTIVE STOCK IN INDIA AS i CAN MAKEOUT FROM THIS DISCUSSION

Last edited by ajmat : 24th August 2009 at 14:13. Reason: back to back posts, thanks - duplicatre
Old 24th August 2009, 13:43   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

WELL I THINK THESE COMPANIES COMING TO INDIA ARE TAKING US INDIANS FOR GRANTED AND MAYBE TRYING TO DUMP ALL DEFECTIVE STOCK IN INDIA AS i CAN MAKEOUT FROM THIS DISCUSSION..........
I FEEL THAT THESE COMPANIES ARE TAKING US INDIANS FOR GRANTED AND TRYING TO DUMP THEIR DEFECTIVE/SUBSTANDARD STOCKS IN OUR COUNTRY
If you knew about Harishs thread and then went ahead and purchased a Skoda then you should not make a such a statement. If you did not hear/know about Skoda antics and then bought a Skoda then I fully sympathize with you. Such an event - dangerous event- should not happen with anyone in any car.

Skoda is really not worth wasting even a few words on.
However, I shall say this>> Skoda is a digusting company with disgusting products(regardless of how nice they look - the cars do look like they have some character that is until they show you their true character followed by the character of the company) disgusting sales, even more disgusting after sales and pathetic service with total disregard for its customers.
They offer no value for your money(hard earned or otherwise)

I feel anyone who reads this thread and has read Harish's thread should take Skoda out of their mind for a long time to come. I do feel sad for the owners though considering what they have to put up with.

I feel so pissed just reading this, I would die of a short circuit if I owned one.

Good luck Gagan!

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 24th August 2009 at 13:45.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:59   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda 's top officials do not even acknowledge your mails.
Yeah, same with me when I found the lemon Combi thrust upon me through forged registration - I called up their MD - Karsten Bogun, who was not around. He subsequently sent a mail that went like a chain to their standard customer care person, who said to the effect that they can't do anything.

I sent two notices including the Form 20 which had my forged signature, along with my signature as in my passport, but I still did not get any response from Skoda.

The only time I got a response from the statues in India was when I sent a letter to their Chairman, Board of Directors in Miloslav. It was a standard PR line.

Gagan, let me tell you they can be shameless and may even be encouraging dishonest behavior. Their Sales Manager had the audacity to tell me that "the dealer may have done something wrong..... but he can't do anything". In fact Mr Thomas Keuhl in his apology letter to me said he has taken my feedback "very seriously" and that they "encourage honest practices with their dealers"; but you know what - the dealer has since opened another showroom in BLR, inaugurated by Mr Thomas Keuhl himself!

Harish' example is another instance of their callous treatment of the Indian customer.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 24th August 2009 at 14:04.
Old 24th August 2009, 14:14   #119
Team-BHP Support

Diffsoft

Why did you not go to the press unlike harish. You had good documentation
Old 24th August 2009, 14:30   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
If you knew about Harishs thread and then went ahead and purchased a Skoda then you should not make a such a statement. If you did not hear/know about Skoda antics and then bought a Skoda then I fully sympathize with you. Such an event - dangerous event- should not happen with anyone in any car.

Skoda is really not worth wasting even a few words on.
However, I shall say this>> Skoda is a digusting company with disgusting products(regardless of how nice they look - the cars do look like they have some character that is until they show you their true character followed by the character of the company) disgusting sales, even more disgusting after sales and pathetic service with total disregard for its customers.
They offer no value for your money(hard earned or otherwise)

I feel anyone who reads this thread and has read Harish's thread should take Skoda out of their mind for a long time to come. I do feel sad for the owners though considering what they have to put up with.

I feel so pissed just reading this, I would die of a short circuit if I owned one.

Good luck Gagan!
Well I did not check for the reviews on the web as this was a new launch and I bought it immediately afterlaunch. More so this is my first skoda product and till date as luck would have it I didnt have a friend using a skoda earlier.

My HARD LUCK
Closed Thread

Most Viewed