Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 14:09   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Don't you think it's too early to jump to conclusions. Like it's been stated before the germans do have a tendency to drink oil in the initial kms. So why not give it till the first service to really decide if this "defect" is a norm or not ?

Also, you clearly seem very unhappy with the car hence I had asked earlier, why not sell the car and get something else? The Superb would still hold a good value in the used car market since yours is new, you also would benefit from this replaced car as opposed to your initial first car's purchase date. Go in for a 3 series or Accord, Honda's are known to be more hassle free.
Hey brother it is easy to say sell the car and move on. what about the money I loose on selling the car. Earlier also I lost close to 1.5 lacs while exchanging the car and maybe double the amount now. Selling the car and moving on is the easiest way out and thus leaving the culprit skoda to party. We are now a fast developing country and cannot be taken for a ride like this.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:15   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post
Hey brother it is easy to say sell the car and move on. what about the money I loose on selling the car. Earlier also I lost close to 1.5 lacs while exchanging the car and maybe double the amount now. Selling the car and moving on is the easiest way out and thus leaving the culprit skoda to party. We are now a fast developing country and cannot be taken for a ride like this.
IMO, your loss of money has probably been weighed out by the new car. Its a newer manufacturing date and lesser Kms driven compared to if you were still using your old car today to sell.

I mean no personal offense but I think you are taking this minor trait which is common to all Germans as per my experience ( Like I mentioned my BMW 525d also drank excess oil initially)
I personally do not hold Skoda culprit in this case, yes the problem you had earlier with the past car was unpardonable and I am glad they replaced it.
And the only reason why I suggested you sell your car is because you seem to have developed a strong prejudice against the brand since minor issues are troubling you maybe as time passes there will be more severe wear & tear or other issues. Perhaps getting an Accord will keep you more at peace.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:25   #333
Senior - BHPian

+1 on that.
Quote:
Hey brother it is easy to say sell the car and move on.
And besides people dont buy new cars with the intention to sell them so soon and also surly not due to mechanical problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
i second that, what sahil is saying is right, sell the car & MOVE ON
Come to think of it ya sell it BUT only if you can get all your money out. You will be out of trouble for the rest of your life at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Go in for a 3 series or Accord, Honda's are known to be more hassle free.
Very true, better than these for sure. Or for that matter even the Maruti without doubt.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th February 2010 at 16:03.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:35   #334
Senior - BHPian

GaganAnand,

Repeating Sahil's words, why dont you check with a Toyota or a Honda dealer, just check whats the resale/exchange price of your car (since its still new). If you like it, and if T/H can give some good discounts on a 2009 model Altis or a Accord (which they may have in stock), go for it.

Else, just pray this problem settles down and nothing bigger crops up.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:54   #335
BHPian

Really bad to hear again that you are still facing the problem. I think try for sometime till the first service and hope your problem is solved
Old 19th February 2010, 16:12   #336
BHPian

Considering your two complaints (excess vibration on cold-start + excess oil consumption) I would recommend you check the inside of the tip of your exhaust, with a finger. Is it oily-black or dry-black? If its oily-black your piston rings/pistons are gone and that is why you may have excessibe vibration on a cold start before the piston rings expand after heating up. Did you thrash your engine during the running in period?
Old 21st February 2010, 00:04   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Considering your two complaints (excess vibration on cold-start + excess oil consumption) I would recommend you check the inside of the tip of your exhaust, with a finger. Is it oily-black or dry-black? If its oily-black your piston rings/pistons are gone and that is why you may have excessibe vibration on a cold start before the piston rings expand after heating up. Did you thrash your engine during the running in period?
not at all. was very carefull with morning start and accelerating as it is a lot of hard earned money put into this car.
Old 21st February 2010, 09:33   #338
Senior - BHPian

1) Vibration is something odd. Except three cylinder cars, very few have problem of vibration at cold start.

2) 500ml for every 1K kms. ? That is 0.5L every 1000 kms. Now suppose one has to wait for 15K kms. for this trait to evade, then, if my maths is not wrong, one has to pour in 7.5 L of oil. Is that normal ? Its 7.5 litres of oil for first 15,000 kms @ 0.5litre/1000 kms. Something is wrong here.

The car in question has already done 8,000 kms. which is enough for any normal car engine to get run in or bedding in. The process of bedding in is not rocket science.

If one has to wait till 15,000 kms for completion of bedding in then does the manual mention that running in period is 15,000 kms.

The thread starter's car is eating up 398 ml/1000kms. That is 5.97Litre of oil for 15,000 kms. Is this not abnormal ? IMHO, there is something wrong either with your car or the overall engineering.

3) Its not easy to sell off a car and get new one so fast, and then get a new one. IIRC, this is the second car that the thread starter has, and I think that he will lose money further if he opts to sell this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
Quality is the ability to stick to the stated specifications. If a software product claims that the tool can crash up to 100 times for every 10000 runs, then you can't call it a poor quality software as long as the crash count stays within the stated specification. You can, however, call the spec to be inferior. So, anyone can be obsessed with quality as long as he clearly mentions all the product defects upfront and a customer can't find a problem that's not listed in the spec.
The matter is how much headroom the company has kept.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st February 2010 at 09:35.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:58   #339
BHPian

well I am looking for a solution. fellow Aaggoswami understands my problem. but what can i do? all serious ideas welcome
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:38   #340
Senior - BHPian

I have the 3cyln Fabia diesel done 55k kms in 20months and Innova diesel. I have noticed that fabia consumed more oil compared to what innova does. However it's not as high as its mentioned here. I topped up about .5L of oil ever 3-4000kms. Compared to this Innova takes about .5L every 5000kms. And ya the fabia has a stage 2 remap putting out 270nm of torque. High oil burning happens much more in ideal or at bumper to bumper traffic where turbo needs more lubricant compared to at constant speed.
Burning of oil is very common in turbo cars whether its diesel or petrol. Turbo uses the oil to keep the turbine, vanes running smoothly. Oil burning is also dependant on driving condition and style. Reg the vibration its not all that common with PD engine during cold start there aint any vibration I can feel inside the cabin however the engine noise is slightly higher compared to what it is when its warmed up. There are vibration dampers or even engine mount that are suppose to control the vibration from getting into the cabin. If one feels that than its better to get these parts checked.
Apart from all this I always get the EGR valve cleaned every service. As there is bound to belot of carbon soot in it which affects the performance and indirectly adds to little more burning of oil. My first serivce was done at 7k kms with EGR valve cleaning. At my 4th service recently at 50k had got even the intake manifold cleaned manually along with the EGR. Performance is yet top notch, Avg has gone up every service.
Old 24th February 2010, 00:42   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not so long since checking the oil level was a weekly job, and top ups were regular... just bought the oil and poured it in; no need for service centre visits! Car engines (or at least, most of them) must have been improved a great deal that now we complain about having to add oil between annual services!
Old 24th February 2010, 08:50   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Gagan - I understand your sentiments, but selling now when the Superb is the hottest car in the segment may fetch you a reasonable amount and most of all - peace of mind.

I just want to caution you into falling into the sunk cost fallacy ("Hey I spent so much that I need to continue to own it" vs "I have already spent so much so think of how much more I will continue to have to spend") Sunk costs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Last edited by diffsoft : 24th February 2010 at 09:02.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:14   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

If Skoda claims oil consumption of 500ml per 1000kms is Ok, Whats the need of oil change at every service? Most of the oil will be renewed through top up by then. Just an Oil filter change might do.

On a serious note, i feel this not normal.
Old 24th February 2010, 21:16   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

My guess: Oil change is not just a question of renewing the oil, but also of draining out the metal fragments and muck.

edit: just noticed that that was not the "serious" part of your post
Old 27th February 2010, 16:09   #345
BHPian

Same problem!

Hey G,
Sorry to hear about your ordeal, and now this! Hopefully, my experience helps:
Today i took my 3 week old (23 days) superb 1.8TSI (which has covered 5,495 kms) to Aarshia, because the MFD displayed a "check engine oil" message during my cold morning start. I was standing with the technician when he filled up the oil, it was a liter of oil to top-up, costing me 1000 rupees.
-They were pretty upfront about the whole thing, according to them, they have had a couple of instances of premature oil consumption with the 1.8TSI and the problems are being repeatedly reported to Skoda.
-They mentioned (and i don't know if its true) that the 5W-40 is not that thick an oil, added to that the first service itself is at 15k and also that the engine was newly run-in AND turbocharged.
-Which would mean, Skoda would probably have to sort out the first service interval for the 1.8TSI and change the type of oil used.
-According to them (fingers crossed) my car consumed a litre for the first 5500Kms and the problem should not reoccur till my 15K service, and that this is not a cause for concern YET. Hopefully! (i'd read the same ''0.5l of oil consumption for the 1000Km'' line in the owners manual during the first week and was scared about the oil level warning light due to a similar issue with my X5 3.0 diesel which said 'top-up with 3 liters of engine oil' at 6000kms on the odo lol).
-They did at no point however, mention to check my engine oil level manually during every petrol top-up as they did to you.
Also, I had taken special care during my first 1000 kms for the run-in and am only using 97RON fuel (easily available across Delhi), strictly, and my car is bone-stock. What about you?
P.S I saw an HR-reg white superb 1.8TSI also undergoing some sort of an engine diagnostic, wonder if that was yours...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed