Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should drivers be retested regularly after the age of 70?
Yes 14 53.85%
No 3 11.54%
Moot point, driver testing by RTO is a farce 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 22:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

1) I am against this move. Most of the time, senior citizens or elder above 70+ years themselves leave driving.

2) Rather than concentrating on elders, we should look at other things. How people get license, etc. I have seen people getting license even before they are 18 years old, I am talking about license to drive geared vehicles.

We should overhaul the test system, i.e. the how people obtain license. Next, discipline. All this has to be forced if its not coming from citizens.

I am driving car and bike, both and can tell you that most of the times risky situations are created by humans from age category 14-45 approx. ( my guess about somebody's age is as good as others ). First of all parents allow 13-14 year olds to ride 60-75-90-110cc gearless scotters. And the electric bikes have made things bad.

Secondly, very few have sense. Have you seen a lady riding Activa with a little kid standing on floor board randomly take turn ? Its self centered attitude, but more than that a risky situation is created.

All those engergitic and so called normal males riding bikes are even worse. They take random turns and usually are doing high speeds. Sometimes I feel that most the citizens dont deserve cars as the way they drive is enough to tell us that they are not aware of what they are doing.

So this is not age specific. It is concerned with driving. The best way is to have an elaborate exam.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

The old drivers after few more decades will be better drivers than present day old drivers because a good percentage of old drivers at present learned driving after their 50s. In the future, all old drivers will be 'old' drivers. I voted 'Yes'. It should be allowed, if one's eye sight is ok and is physically fit enough.
Old 16th January 2010, 23:21   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Just like some old cars that are better maintained as compared to some new ones, age is no criteria for adjudging someone's fitness to drive a motor vehicle.
In the US and other western countries there is no such age bar. I remember reading about a lady who at age 85 failed for the umpteenth time to get her driver's licence in the UK.
The debarring criteria should be physical fitness (at any age) and the inability to drive well, based on stipulated and scientifically acceptable norms.
Old 16th January 2010, 23:26   #64
BHPian

If a person is mentally and physically fit,then I don't see any reason why they should be barred from driving just because they are old. So for this,the govt. can make the license renewal time period to be one year for all above age of 70.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

well after 65 the licence renewal period should be once a year.
this is allow old people to drive.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:45   #66
BHPian

This recent report of the age-limit for driving in India made me sad immediately - just reading the headlines, shocked a little! My father would be 75 in May and he is passionate about cars, taking care of it, going on drives etc. He has been driving for the past 35 yrs - started driving late - at age 40. He uses it daily and does occassional 100-200km trips. I heard that it would come out in March. I am furious as to how can they make such a law without a debate? US stats (a post on this thread) should not apply to India, we should have our own stats. How many accidents involve 70+ folks? How many current drivers of 70+ do daily driving and how many in the city were involved in an accident? I agree - a-renewal-test-every-year is fine. However, how do you test? Just eye-sight? How do you test reflexes? Its just like getting a license. A person without a license can be a better driver than one who has a license. Getting a license is also a fluke - if your vehicle stops for some reason - you dont get a license but you maybe a better driver than the one whose vehicle did not stop that day. Its all so cloudy and vague.

I feel, you cannot just generalize based on age. Its just not fair. More over just think about the mental agony they would undergo - segregation from the society, all the old-age-homes, old-age-service-apartments already creating a different group in society not-withstanding!
Old 18th January 2010, 00:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

This is just ridiculous. While I personally feel many older drivers are pretty irritating on the road, this does NOT apply to ALL older people. This kind of generalization is the pits. I feel those who propose these kind of laws should be BANNED from having anything to do with any kind of law-making; so that people don't waste time discussing such nonsense, rather than dealing with some real issues.
Old 18th January 2010, 01:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Here the people are talking about the older people and their licence issuance subject. It is so funny to hear from the tomorrows older people object the todays older people. Days are fast coming. Before that day comes tomorrows elders please get ready to sit in the back seat. To day is for us and tomorrow will be for you guys.
Old 18th January 2010, 01:20   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1)...I am against this move. Most of the time, senior citizens or elder above 70+ years themselves leave driving....
Mr. Goswami, reading this makes me wonder why you've voted No on the poll.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:02   #70
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

My two cents worth:

1) Commercial vehicles: Age cap 75 years - they are offering a service and the customers and this seems dangerous if done as a full day job, plus customers should have the option.

2) Private vehicles and private drivers - Annual check up of driving skills above the age of 75.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:10   #71
Team-BHP Support

I voted know, but would like to do with a rider. Take a driving test after 70 years of age. If the person clears the test, he/she should be allowed to drive. Just a hard age bar is discrimination.
If politicians want to go ahead with the ban, then they should use same logic in other things also. For example not allowing to hold a public seat(MP/MLA) after age 72 or whatever
Old 18th January 2010, 13:37   #72
BHPian

Come on guys, when u reach fifties or sixties, will you able to leave the wheels behind?
I dont think so. Put youself those shows first.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

I have voted NO even though I should have voted yes(I went by the heading of the Sawyer's first post and voted which is totally opposite to the poll question) . In my opinion maximum age should not be the criteria for disqualification.

An elaborate driving test should be made mandatory for people after say 60 years for renewal of License and the license renewal period can be reduced to 2-5 years depending on the age.

Last edited by DieselFan : 18th January 2010 at 14:26.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:48   #74
Senior - BHPian

All the talk of a proper driving test after sixty is much easier said than done in India. Our regular driving test can be aced by a blind man. We have a situation where you have no choice but to consider banning the whole age bracket because of systemic incapabilities to arrange an appropriate test. Its easy to talk about arranging a proper evaluation on paper (or in this case a forum) but try to actually implement that effectively in the country.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:54   #75
Senior - BHPian

Everything in this world does depreciate with age, so are we!! We should politely withdraw from driving at a certain age(60 or 65??) to let ourselves and the people on the road to drive safe.

Also little OT, doesn't politicians have any retirement??If all government servants do retire at a certain age, why NOT THEM??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed