Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should drivers be retested regularly after the age of 70?
Yes 14 53.85%
No 3 11.54%
Moot point, driver testing by RTO is a farce 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 07:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Should elderly people be allowed to drive after reaching a certain age?

The other thing that comes to mind about the 96 years is that she is entitled to drive just as much as the 18 year old, provided she is medically fit to do so, by an objective common standard that is applied to all who drive. And that question opens a Pandoras box in India, I know, but it is an important point to be understood.
Something to think about, on that - how many of you have seen truck/CV drivers that wear prescription glasses? I have seen precious few - must be something in the dhaba food that keeps away the need for such glasses!
Old 10th August 2009, 15:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

I am with you on this one Karl. It is quite stupid to assume that the lady can't drive just because she is 96 and (assuming) unfit. I feel she is much better a driver compared to all those who drive at 18 years of age on the wrong side of the road, park haphazardly, do not wear helmets, etc.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2009, 19:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am with you on this one Karl. It is quite stupid to assume that the lady can't drive just because she is 96 and (assuming) unfit. I feel she is much better a driver compared to all those who drive at 18 years of age on the wrong side of the road, park haphazardly, do not wear helmets, etc.
Oh absolutely. She doesn't wear glasses, doesn't use a walking stick. A fiercely independant lady, she doesn't even have a maid to cook and clean. She is even conversant with SMS
Old 19th August 2009, 21:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The other thing that comes to mind about the 96 years is that she is entitled to drive just as much as the 18 year old, provided she is medically fit to do so, by an objective common standard that is applied to all who drive. And that question opens a Pandoras box in India, I know, but it is an important point to be understood.
Something to think about, on that - how many of you have seen truck/CV drivers that wear prescription glasses? I have seen precious few - must be something in the dhaba food that keeps away the need for such glasses!
Do we a system where people are certified if they are medically fit? I don't think so.
Just because truck drivers don't wear glasses doesn't mean all of them have perfect eyesight. They may not even be aware of their eyesight defects. Last week's Autocar show had talked about the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
On top of it we are fast becoming a crude and insensitive nation where courtesy to elders and civic sense is fast becoming extinct. All this thanks to irresponsible media, likes of Ekta Kapoor and MNC / IT culture of addressing even senior / elder people by first name.
That's a sweeping statement you made there. Giving respect has got nothing to do with age or the way you address the person. Just because I address my senior by first name doesn't mean i don't respect him.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 19th August 2009 at 21:32.
Old 19th August 2009, 21:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The other thing that comes to mind about the 96 years is that she is entitled to drive just as much as the 18 year old, provided she is medically fit to do so, by an objective common standard that is applied to all who drive. And that question opens a Pandoras box in India, I know, but it is an important point to be understood!
I have some trouble with this theory. I dont think anyone who is above 80 years should be legally allowed to drive.

She maybe an exception but 99% of people at that age are simply not going be medically fit. Besides, like you said there is no system to regularly check people. This is a huge problem in the US where old people are lonely and public transport is poor. Couple years ago an old lady mowed down half a dozen people in SFO when she drove into an open market.

On similar lines, I am sure that there are a few 15 years old out there that are very mature and disciplined but the law does not allow them to drive.

So for her own safety (and others on the road) I advise her to not drive and get a chauffer.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th August 2009 at 22:54.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2009, 21:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Adding to what 'Mpower' said - If i rem many years back i read somewhere there is an age limit to hold a valid driving license. After you reach that age limit the license is not renewed. So if this holds true then i believe a person of 96 years might not be legally allowed to drive.
P.S- Am just asking if this is true so don't flame me!

So she finally got the car. Great!
Did Tata motors issued an apology for the delay? Imo they should if they haven't.
Old 19th August 2009, 22:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A licence to drive a non-transport vehicle shall be effective for a period of 20 years from the date of issue or renewal, or till the holder attains the age of 50 years, whichever is earlier. The licence is renewable for 5 years after that.
Obtain Driving Licence - How do I: National Portal of India
Old 20th August 2009, 07:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

The intent of the five yearly renewal after 50 is to incorporate a fitness to drive test. If implemented to a common objective standard, this is the way to go. And the way to see if it is being implemented correctly is if 99% of those over 80 fail the test!
As in everything else, in India implementation is the issue. Because we are the first to mess with the system. How many of us will rule ourselves unfit to drive if we were to fail the test? Should we not be the first to want to know and to do that if we found this out?
Arbitrarily setting an age limit when the license expires seems a little harsh, though I understand the logic, given that people regress in age as the years pile up, beyond a point, in addition to losing significant parts of physical and mental faculties.
Old 20th August 2009, 07:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

if you can set a minimum age, I dont see the problem for a maximum age.
And besides, its not like they will be deprived of a license. They just have to show they can drive to get it renewed.

But given the state of things , I have a feeling that even if implemented, nothing will change. Just the RTOs and agents will make more money
Old 20th August 2009, 07:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if you can set a minimum age, I dont see the problem for a maximum age.
And besides, its not like they will be deprived of a license. They just have to show they can drive to get it renewed.

But given the state of things , I have a feeling that even if implemented, nothing will change. Just the RTOs and agents will make more money
That is exactly the law as it exists - instead of the proposed 80, it starts at 50! You only get a license if you are considered medically fit to drive, thereafter, every five years.
The issue is implementation. Which is a mess because all of us mess with it.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

A medical test is very much part of the liscence renewal process in India, when you renew after 20 years. I accompanied my father to the RTO when he did it. Of course, the whole process was a farce. A 'doctor' was sitting under a tree outside the building certifying applicants.

I have many relatives over 80 that drive. They have been driving for over 60 years - I find them to be very alert, cautious drivers, with a spotless track record. Yes, on a case to case basis you will find many who are unfit, but it isn't fair to ask for a blanket ban over anyone over a certain age.

Anyways, we are straying off topic here.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:52   #12
BHPian

full marks to the old lady. she sounds like she will be a cautious driver.

but here's a vid i found on youtube of what can happen with older drivers:

don't say the bike guy was going too fast - that's a different country and he was probably doing the right speed in that lane when the old guy cut across slowly without bothering to see who was coming.
Old 20th August 2009, 18:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

That is one smart biker.
Notice the way he moves to a safe location before lying down.

So sad he ended up smashing into the car.
But he deserves respect.
Old 20th August 2009, 18:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
..............but here's a vid i found on Youtube of what can happen with older drivers:.........
It is a video of what could happen with a careless driver - who in this case happened to be old.

BTW how do you know he was an old man? The video isn't too clear. Unless there was something in the commentary to that effect - I couldn't hear anything myself.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

So in conclusion, the law exists and is pretty well thought out. Only in terms of implementation, it fails leaving old unfit drivers on our roads anyway.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks