Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2005, 16:50   #1
BHPian

Toyota car, Prius(?).

Guys.

I had been to London last week, my first trip there and it was amazing to see the variety of cars there in the road. Toyotas, Hondas, BMW’s VW’s Citreons, Benz’s porshes etc.

One of my friends was driving a Toyota car, Prius(?). It was powered by two motors: one the conventional petrol one and the other an electric one. When the battery is fully charged, the electric motor starts and goes well especially in Lower gradients and the city roads. The on board screen kept on flashing the current mileage, which at sometime reached 120 Miles per gallons. Wonder when these types of cars will come to India..

Strangely I have not seen this many variety of cars in the U.S.
Old 4th July 2005, 17:11   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
Guys.

I had been to London last week, my first trip there and it was amazing to see the variety of cars there in the road. Toyotas, Hondas, BMW’s VW’s Citreons, Benz’s porshes etc.

One of my friends was driving a Toyota car, Prius(?). It was powered by two motors: one the conventional petrol one and the other an electric one. When the battery is fully charged, the electric motor starts and goes well especially in Lower gradients and the city roads. The on board screen kept on flashing the current mileage, which at sometime reached 120 Miles per gallons. Wonder when these types of cars will come to India..

Depends on where you've been in the US. All of these car manufacturers (save Citroen, which I have not seen) are alive and kicking in the US.

Toyota Prius also sells like hot cakes in states where gasoline is mighty expensive (like California). If you are talking about hybrids, Honda also makes hybrid versions of the Civic and the Accord. And now, no less than the Ford Explorers and Ford Escapes (read top-selling SUV) are coming out with their hybrid siblings.
Old 4th July 2005, 18:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

In fact, Toyota Prius has leading market share in Hybrid market in US, and Prius was also the largest vehicle recall from Toyota on safety grounds.
Old 4th July 2005, 18:29   #4
BHPian

My brother bought a Prius (in NJ, US) last week and is already raving about it.. Seems he is getting 60 mpg compared to 24 mpg for his older Honda CRV.. Plus, size and creature comforts equivalent to Accord/Camry..
Old 4th July 2005, 19:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
Toyota Prius also sells like hot cakes in states where gasoline is mighty expensive (like California).
do they have it more expensive than us ?? i thought it was the other way round.
Old 4th July 2005, 19:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Prius scores well interms of performance aswell ...with a top speed of 160's good enough to outrun maybe the NHC ???

Prius also holds the lands speed record for hybrid cars which was recorded in excess of 210 kmph with minors modifications such as gear ratios, lowering etchttp://www.dancewithshadows.com/auto...eed-record.asp

Last edited by turbo_lover : 4th July 2005 at 19:42.
Old 4th July 2005, 19:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
do they have it more expensive than us ?? i thought it was the other way round.
its highest in the US. About 3 bucks to the gallon.
Old 4th July 2005, 20:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
its highest in the US. About 3 bucks to the gallon.
I disagree dude, In europe people pay the US equivalent of $5/gallon of gas. Infact in India itself we end up paying almost Rs 225 per gallon.. 1Gallon=4.83Litres=4.83 x 47.33(bangalore)=228.33 Rs = $5.20 per gallon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_S_Natarajan
I've been seeing the prius since year 2002 when it was first launched in the US. I was rueing my decision to buy the Toyota Echo at that time..

If only i had known..

Most Viewed