Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 01:17   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Son of Xylo is out at Trivandrum. Saw it today.
I was about to comment the same by seeing the first post and then saw your post. But then Our great designers say that that's the kind of design Indian mass in General like, so we have ugly duckings sold to us.

I dont know where they get their VOC survey from. And by the way i potter around in the Original Jelly Bean design, THE ZEN.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:42   #122
BHPian

dude SID.. hats off to u .. you seem to have sources that shame police officials too.. you are the unchallenged leader of scoops .. nice work .. yeah i expected that Estilo will only come with a reworked bumper n lights .. Maruti is yet to recover tooling costs so left most unchanged .. usual strategy .. I am sure dropping off hallowed name - Zen, opens the car to the market now .. Estilo sounds better..
Old 27th August 2009, 11:58   #123
Senior - BHPian

Not bad, I think. But is the new engine really better than the one it replaced?
Old 27th August 2009, 12:07   #124
BHPian

I am in the least impressed, havent seen the car in flesh but it think its usual design strategy by maruti, over large headlamps with flared arches and "lots of sophiscated curves" bumper. in short just minimal changes like a facelift. not a revamp.
I reckon the old one was better in traffic due to FB series engine.
I hope the new WagonR is more attractive and proportionate, with even touches of curves and angles, and not a half hearted attempt like the new estilo, I wonder what Maruti designers drove to work that day - Xylo. both look distastefull. I think the earlier version looked more subtle and atleast softer. flared arches and overhangs on punny tires are out of balance.
however nothing should take away the VFM factor this car gives. provided maruti sticks to price and discounts.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I had driven the car and felt that the engine is actually a step backward. Bottom end torque was absolutely lacking with often downshifts required to get it to perform.

High speed stability was again lacking and the steering had to be continuously forced to keep it in a correct position as the car felt disconnected to the chassis, a problem with its 1997 platform shared with t the wagon R.
Quite disappointed to know that the new car is not great to drive and the K series engine could not live up to expectations.
I thought that the car would be more drivable especially with the new gear box.

Maruti claims that they have worked on the suspension setup hence ride quality should have been better.

Sid - Was there any tuning issues with the test drive car ??

I am planning to take a TD but after your comments I am planning to drop it. Actually was in 2 minds Ritz/ Estilo not going with the Wagon R as an upgrade is in pipeline.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:15   #126
BHPian

Being a Market leader in India, Maruti Suzuki shouldv'e more Engine options.

Just because, the 1.2 Engine will be plonked in Swift, the Estilo has been plonked with 1 litre Engine.

I think these 2 KB Series engines will be rotated in all the Cars except the SX4.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:31   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Being a Market leader in India, Maruti Suzuki shouldv'e more Engine options.

Just because, the 1.2 Engine will be plonked in Swift, the Estilo has been plonked with 1 litre Engine.

I think these 2 KB Series engines will be rotated in all the Cars except the SX4.
Maruti may be looking for cost cutting, but more engine options with at least a 200 CC / 20BHP difference in capacity is a definite welcome.

Instead of the 1.2L they should use a 1.4L K series engine in the new bigger Swift, and position it in direct competition with Jazz, i20 and Punto.

(If not, the SX4 hatchback can be introduced to compete with Jazz, i20 and Punto. It's such a nice hatchback.)

The vacuum created by this repositioning of Swift can easily be filled by the present Ritz, and the new wider Wagon-R fitted with the 1.2L K-series engine.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th August 2009 at 12:35.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:47   #128
Senior - BHPian

main thing remains to see is that where does they position this car in, surely it would eat volumes of Astar category which didnt appealed to many, but what if new WagonR comes then it would eat up this new estilo's sales then which it did with older estilo as well.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:11   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I had driven the car and felt that the engine is actually a step backward. Bottom end torque was absolutely lacking with often downshifts required to get it to perform.

Moreover, the car needed to be revved hard to extract the pickup from its quoted power output and as a result, the engine whines and becomes more noisy. Things get better after 3rd gear with the car performing effortlessly in mid-range and again, labouring towards the top end.

Only time will tell whether the car will succeed or not, but the initial impressions are disappointing. Drive it and you will come to know.
@Sidindica, leaving the new estilo aside, you TD post was a big disappointment, especially after your excellent Nano writeup, i think all he TBP members have come to expect a little better from you, not just a "Drive it and you will come to know" statement. IMO This was really a casual and hurriedly post and some people may be led to think that you are biased against this particular automobile.

Com'on dude, please post a proper TD replete with PICS , SPECIFICATIONS and more specific driving experience information. I am really looking forward to it.
Old 27th August 2009, 23:15   #130
BHPian

Slightly OT: In the new Estilo's brochure, MS claims that the gearbox is now cable operated with some Detent Pin technology. Anyone who can explain how a Detent Pin works?
Old 27th August 2009, 23:58   #131
Senior - BHPian

Behold the work of Indian designers at Maruti-Suzuki. Who else?. Surprise me!. We're keeping our Zen Estilo and even the sales guy said the old car is faster on the go.
Attached Thumbnails
(E)stilo (S)coop (T)hat (I)ntelligently (L)eaks (O)ut - New Maruti Estilo-chennai-237-large.jpg  

(E)stilo (S)coop (T)hat (I)ntelligently (L)eaks (O)ut - New Maruti Estilo-chennai-233-large.jpg  

(E)stilo (S)coop (T)hat (I)ntelligently (L)eaks (O)ut - New Maruti Estilo-chennai-240-large.jpg  

Old 28th August 2009, 00:04   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Son of Xylo is out at Trivandrum. Saw it today.
Spot on. It looks like the love child of Xylo and Versa.
Old 28th August 2009, 03:16   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
@Sidindica, leaving the new estilo aside, you TD post was a big disappointment, especially after your excellent Nano writeup, i think all he TBP members have come to expect a little better from you, not just a "Drive it and you will come to know" statement. IMO This was really a casual and hurriedly post and some people may be led to think that you are biased against this particular automobile.

Com'on dude, please post a proper TD replete with PICS , SPECIFICATIONS and more specific driving experience information. I am really looking forward to it.
Cut him some slack please, he is not paid to report on cars full-time like an auto journalist, I assume he is an enthusiast just like us and will post on what interests him. In any case he has no obligation to post anything at all yet he consistently does a great job in getting latest scoops to us.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:37   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Cut him some slack please, he is not paid to report on cars full-time like an auto journalist, I assume he is an enthusiast just like us and will post on what interests him. In any case he has no obligation to post anything at all yet he consistently does a great job in getting latest scoops to us.
Very true , He is giving enough contribution to team bhp by posting all those great scoops which is very unique.It wont be fair to ask more.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:53   #135
Senior - BHPian

The dealership could have put in a little more effort with the ribbons! They just stuck it here and there randomly.

Most Viewed