Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 13:51   #106
Senior - BHPian

More than the Santro, it will be the segment sales leader WagonR which will be affected. Don't forget that Estilo is now a practical alternative to the A-Star, and people who were hitherto put off by A-Star's lack of space and visibility issues, and ended up buying WagonR, will shift towards the Estilo, which now has a hint of wagonRs practicality + A-Star's K series engine and transmission.

IMO, Maruti should stop current WagonR's production until the 1.1 L K series engine is ready for the next gen. WagonR.

Last edited by DCEite : 26th August 2009 at 13:53.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:16   #107
BHPian

This definitely looks better than the old Estilo. Good interiors too. Lets see if it makes a difference to the sales.
Old 26th August 2009, 15:10   #108
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
IMO, Maruti should stop current WagonR's production until the 1.1 L K series engine is ready for the next gen. WagonR.
When is is the next gen Wagon-R coming?
Old 26th August 2009, 15:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
When is is the next gen Wagon-R coming?
Mid 2010

Quoting this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...l-upgrade.html
Old 26th August 2009, 15:40   #110
BHPian

Please see a Indiatimes slideshow on the new Estilo :

Leaving an impression- Maruti launches all-new Estilo - Indiatimes: Picture Story

The interior styling looks good and also good outside visibility for the driver.
Old 26th August 2009, 15:41   #111
BANNED

Instead of developing a new 1.1L K-series engine, Maruti should modify the current 1.0L 3 cylinder K-series engine to make it a 4-cylinder, and place it in A-Star, Estilo and Wagon-R. This will eradicate the problems related to vibration and low-end torque.
Old 26th August 2009, 18:07   #112
BHPian

Looks like Compact car market is getting heated up. So we can expect many new model/variant on the road as well as a competition. Might be good for the consumer.
Old 26th August 2009, 18:26   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Instead of developing a new 1.1L K-series engine, Maruti should modify the current 1.0L 3 cylinder K-series engine to make it a 4-cylinder, and place it in A-Star, Estilo and Wagon-R. This will eradicate the problems related to vibration and low-end torque.
There is already a 4-cylinder version of the K-10B (AStar/estilo) engine present in the petrol Ritz in the form of the K-12M engine. Its a real jem and IMO is one of the most refined petrol engines this side of 6 lac. However, I feel that the inherently unbalanced nature of the 3 pot A-Star engine gives it a very sporty jagged edge like feel, especially the sound that it emits at higher RPMs. Suzuki engines are anyways known for their high end performance rather than low end torque (esteem, old zen). The low end torque bit is taken care of by the Swift DDIS engine (190nm at 2000 rpm)
Old 26th August 2009, 18:51   #114
Senior - BHPian

ladies special: estilo vs spark

coming soon.
Old 26th August 2009, 21:13   #115
Senior - BHPian

I had driven the car and felt that the engine is actually a step backward. Bottom end torque was absolutely lacking with often downshifts required to get it to perform.

Moreover, the car needed to be revved hard to extract the pickup from its quoted power output and as a result, the engine whines and becomes more noisy. Things get better after 3rd gear with the car performing effortlessly in mid-range and again, labouring towards the top end.

High speed stability was again lacking and the steering had to be continuously forced to keep it in a correct position as the car felt disconnected to the chassis, a problem with its 1997 platform shared with t the wagon R.

The facelift looks more grown but the sides look disproportionate with the large overhang doing it no favours, and looks like a gussied up WagonR with a hint of versa design touches.

Gearshift is vastly improved and is one of the better points of the car.

Interior quality is again on par but feels pretty flimsy, so does the bodyshell.

but the problem remains-positioning, and the car still suffers from identity crisis as it did before. It would make better sense to position it as a ladies car and as an alternative to the spark, rather than competing with the I10.

But again, the spark is a overall better all round refined product and with the discounts and free maintenance package on offer, could be a better buy.

Moreover, what will happen when the all new WagonR comes next year? What really is the need of the car? And if the WagonR indeed comes with the same K10M engine, who is going to buy the then outdated estilo?

If the company wants to eliminate the "zen" name altogether, why did they inscribe the same on the car's decklid, even for the sake of it being smaller? The sales staff is again confused on what to call.

Only time will tell whether the car will succeed or not, but the initial impressions are disappointing. Drive it and you will come to know.

Request to mods to kindly delete my previous post.

Last edited by sidindica : 26th August 2009 at 21:15.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2009, 23:04   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I had driven the car and felt that the engine is actually a step backward. Bottom end torque was absolutely lacking with often downshifts required to get it to perform.

Moreover, the car needed to be revved hard to extract the pickup from its quoted power output and as a result, the engine whines and becomes more noisy. Things get better after 3rd gear with the car performing effortlessly in mid-range and again, labouring towards the top end.

High speed stability was again lacking and the steering had to be continuously forced to keep it in a correct position as the car felt disconnected to the chassis, a problem with its 1997 platform shared with t the wagon R.

The facelift looks more grown but the sides look disproportionate with the large overhang doing it no favours, and looks like a gussied up WagonR with a hint of versa design touches.

Gearshift is vastly improved and is one of the better points of the car.

Interior quality is again on par but feels pretty flimsy, so does the bodyshell.

but the problem remains-positioning, and the car still suffers from identity crisis as it did before. It would make better sense to position it as a ladies car and as an alternative to the spark, rather than competing with the I10.

But again, the spark is a overall better all round refined product and with the discounts and free maintenance package on offer, could be a better buy.

Moreover, what will happen when the all new WagonR comes next year? What really is the need of the car? And if the WagonR indeed comes with the same K10M engine, who is going to buy the then outdated estilo?

If the company wants to eliminate the "zen" name altogether, why did they inscribe the same on the car's decklid, even for the sake of it being smaller? The sales staff is again confused on what to call.

Only time will tell whether the car will succeed or not, but the initial impressions are disappointing. Drive it and you will come to know.

Request to mods to kindly delete my previous post.

Really disappointing to read this.Thought it would perform much better than the outgoing model.
Old 27th August 2009, 00:20   #117
Senior - BHPian

Son of Xylo is out at Trivandrum. Saw it today.
Old 27th August 2009, 00:43   #118
BANNED

@jkdas ; LOL.So i guess it being a sibling has few traits of Xylo .
It looks more of a half hearted attempt from maruti . Also the positioning is still confused.I bet the new WagonR would eat Estilo in and out .And when the WagonR comes the Estilo resale would go for a toss even though with Estilo it still is the case.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 27th August 2009 at 00:44.
Old 27th August 2009, 00:59   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Son of Xylo is out at Trivandrum. Saw it today.
Das you have the best sense of humour to say.

HORRIBLE is the least i can say for the new ESTILO. Poor thing the Zen was such a fabulous car, Maruti lost in between.

I can say, a USED Zen would fetch a greater price today than an ESTILO.

As per me, i would buy a ZEN and be happy with it than buy the UGLIEST looking ESTILO
Old 27th August 2009, 01:02   #120
Senior - BHPian

finally, the ugly duckling gets some plastic surgery.

ok, some wallpapers from the site-Maruti Suzuki Estilo - Take a fresh view of life.

a screenshot from the site
Attached Thumbnails
(E)stilo (S)coop (T)hat (I)ntelligently (L)eaks (O)ut - New Maruti Estilo-1.jpg  

Last edited by amit V8 : 27th August 2009 at 01:04.

Most Viewed