Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 03:29   #1
BHPian

Which octane fuel for New Skoda laura 1.8 TSI Petrol??

hi,
i m new in this forum, i have just bought a new FL Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI petrol,
i am abit confused about which petrol octane 91/95 to use for this engine?? the dealer i bought it from jmd mumbai told me to use normal unleaded petrol & not to use speed etc, the owners manual that i got with the car seems to be imported as it says use only 95 octane fuel, i am abit confused what to do, any help from the gurus will be great, any 1.8 TSI laura or superb owners here that can share me some light
thanks..
Old 25th August 2009, 13:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Firstly Congrats on great purchase, that 1.8 tsi with manual 6 speed and is great fun to drive.

Reg fuel, Higher Octane fuel is always better. Incase of 1.8tsi make use of 95octane as mentioned in manual, if not atleast 91/93 octane and stick to one or two pump that are reliable. Like to add that even the GM of one of the Skoda Service center had mentioned reg using higher octane fuel in 1.8tsi. With such a superb engine I wouldn't compromise on fuel type.

Last edited by Invinsible : 25th August 2009 at 13:17.
Old 25th August 2009, 13:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the new 1.8 tsi----my neighbour bought one in black recently and it looks awesome!
Doesn't the manual specify the octane content? I will ask my neighbour when he returns from his sailing trip---he is the captain of a merchant navy ship.
Old 25th August 2009, 17:32   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys well i dunno what exactly to fill, i heard bad stories about speed 97 additives not suiting few engines & causing failures to them, dunno if i should just stick to good 91 octane fuel
Old 25th August 2009, 20:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Additives are mainly found in speed petrol, not in higher octane fuel. Stick anywhere between 91 to 95, with a reputed reliable pump and you are good.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Additives are mainly found in speed petrol, not in higher octane fuel. Stick anywhere between 91 to 95, with a reputed reliable pump and you are good.
i thought there are additives in Speed 97 petrol, well will stick to good quality 91 octane fuel thanks alot for the help guys..
Old 25th August 2009, 20:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a Skoda Octavia vRs and use 93 octane in it.
If its not available, only then do i use the normal fuel ( or when on a trip if i need to refuel)

I guess 93 should be more than sufficient for it.
Old 25th August 2009, 22:10   #8
BANNED

i have octavia combi 1.8 tsi

hi
i am right now using this car in china shenzen
i normal put 97 ad 98 although quality of fuel in china is not so good
but for tsi i engine i would suggest 95 and above ron
that mean 97 minimuim
u can see this sticker on fuel door in the car
regards
narry
Old 29th August 2009, 02:49   #9
BHPian

Thanks narry, over here in india to get 97 octane fuel is difficult, only few pumps have them, Any skoda superb 1.8tsi or laura1.8 tsi owners here can share me some light? got only fews kms left for the next tank fill so dont know what to do, super confused & the skoda dealers keep saying normal 91 octane fuel i just some how dont buy it
Old 29th August 2009, 10:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
Thanks narry, over here in india to get 97 octane fuel is difficult, only few pumps have them, Any skoda superb 1.8tsi or laura1.8 tsi owners here can share me some light? got only fews kms left for the next tank fill so dont know what to do, super confused & the skoda dealers keep saying normal 91 octane fuel i just some how dont buy it
Go with the 93/95 octane and you will be happy with the performance it delivers.
Old 29th August 2009, 12:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the car Berj. I got my 1.8 Superb few weeks back too. I am currently using normal petrol on the past 3 tankfuls and the car seems to perform fine but I think in the long run higher octane would be better. However I dont trust the manual completly because it has not been adapted to the Indian market model, so if Skoda has made some changes in the engine to drink lower octane fuel those would not be a part of this international manual.

I am in a fix because the two HP petrol pumps I fill from - SV Bandra junction and second at BKC do not have any higher octane fuels ! Would using an octane booster help as an alternative?
How much more expensive is 93 and 95 compared to normal unleaded?
Old 29th August 2009, 22:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Congrats on the car Berj. I got my 1.8 Superb few weeks back too. I am currently using normal petrol on the past 3 tankfuls and the car seems to perform fine but I think in the long run higher octane would be better. However I dont trust the manual completly because it has not been adapted to the Indian market model, so if Skoda has made some changes in the engine to drink lower octane fuel those would not be a part of this international manual.

I am in a fix because the two HP petrol pumps I fill from - SV Bandra junction and second at BKC do not have any higher octane fuels ! Would using an octane booster help as an alternative?
How much more expensive is 93 and 95 compared to normal unleaded?
thanks bro, cograts on your superb, its an excellent car, i wish i could strech my budget to get that beast, its got crazy features where did you buy your car from? i got mine from JMD skoda at vashi, did you ask them about the fuel to put? they told me to use normal unleaded petrol i some how dont buy it , cause the 1.8tsi engines in the laura & superb are not detuned in HP nor torque so how can they use 91 octane fuel when the whole world put 95 octane min fuel in them, i m from town side in mumbai, over here 97 octane is available but is very costly around 67rs a liter i think
but if its good for these engines then it makes sense as it will return you with better mileage & performance & its easy to check it on the onboard computer dunno yet what to do, very confusing indeed, try contacting your dealer & ask them, i really doubt these engines are detuned for india..

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th January 2010 at 17:08. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, thanks
Old 30th August 2009, 14:02   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

18-19rs extra per liter is lethal! I don't think your FE savings would compensate that much. I would prefer using octane boosters as it would be hassle free instead of hunting for a gas station with higher octane, would probably be cost effective too.
Could some of the experts please shed some light on this?
Old 30th August 2009, 21:11   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Could some of the experts please shed some light on this?
Related thread. Don't see too many comments in favour of octane boosters over on that thread.
Old 30th August 2009, 22:08   #15
BANNED

You are in an EIII city. Normal is 91RON while IOC XP is 93RON. The figure of 95RON is the standard EIII premium in Europe. I will not worry about 95RON but use the normal 91/93RON. If you have to fill in an EII city then look for IOC XP! After April all petrol will be 91 RON. Let us see if we then get proper EIII/EIV premium i.e., 95RON. Modern ECUs will automatically detune the engine to compensate for the lower RON

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks