Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 15:09   #121
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Aah, one of those! I run into such idiots often. My remedy for them is to put my car into reverse, let them know what I have done by moving back a bit - and then revv the engine hard and make as if I am going to pop the clutch crushing them under my rear wheels. The expression on their faces is priceless - most cannot believe it and think that they are dealing with a certified nut-case, (which suits me fine).

I do stuff like this with my safari to correct errant bikers, & Truckers who drive in the first lane.

But it is hard to do the same with the Laura. I believe you have one and I envy your courage to try this with the Laura - even a scratch is expensive.
Old 16th October 2009, 15:10   #122
BHPian

Despite all the problems with Ahmedabad traffic, I have noticed one thing I am very glad about, everyone invariably makes way for ambulances, even with all the chaos in the streets, the moment an ambulance is spotted, a lane magically clears
Old 16th October 2009, 22:54   #123
Senior - BHPian

That is just great to know. At least some Indians have sense to move from infront of an Ambulance.

Encountered another ambulance today, veered off to the left most lane and signaled the guy in the car behind me to do the same.
A little while later I saw a VIP car with sirens blaring making way through the traffic. Why are people willing to give way to a VIP and not to an Ambulance?

I saw this sad incidence once. Right outside our colony an Ambulance went rushing by with its sirens blaring. The roads cleared to let the vehicle pass. I also went on driving only to spot two guys get off at the sweet shop to get some samosas packed. That one was shocking. How could they abuse their power? I guess that is what happens in India.

Had another weird incident today.
A 55-60 year old couple in a Santro almost drove me into the sidewalk 5 times!
When he did it first, I thought nothing of it as the traffic was anyways manic. But he just wouldn't stop. So I banged hard on his car with my fist. Well, that didn't stop him either. I pulled next to him and politely told him to not squish me. He replied saying he was being pressed in from the other side and that saving me was not his business. He started shouting madly and all. I started rolling up my window but within a second or two he again veered into me! This time his wife also shouted out loud.
I guess he was a really bad driver, dropped the grudge and just drove on.

Delhi traffic is eventful!
Old 16th October 2009, 22:57   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
@ Guite: If the ambulance is behind you - move aside and let him go. If the ambulance is entering the intersection from another road and it is your turn (on green) - stop and let the ambulance through. Ambulances override everything else on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep you should put on all hazzard signs and go ahead to make way for the ambulance, they have right of way at the signals.
As recounted in earlier posts some people block an ambulance's way. Those same people will in all probability not give way to an ambulance at a traffic signal when their signal is green. It's potentially disastrous.
Old 16th October 2009, 23:04   #125
Senior - BHPian

Due to a Recent unfortunate incident,I was forced to travel in an ambulance with an injured friend over a distance of 60kms.

I was noticing the traffic's behaviour from inside,and was happy to know that somehow traffic sense still prevails.
Old 16th October 2009, 23:42   #126
BHPian

Excellent thread! Just wanted to narrate an incident that happened to me once when I was still living in Pune.

One fine morning I was going to college as usual and though it was pretty early in the morning I stopped on the left most lane at a red signal at a not so busy intersection. I saw many vehicles caring two hoots about the signal and jumping it but then slowly a car came to a halt on the right most lane (dunno if it was because of the signal or because the driver wanted to take a U-turn), well this resulted in a one or two more two wheelers coming to a halt at the signal. All of a sudden I hear a loud horn blaring at my back from a distance. I looked back only to see a huge truck coming down quite fast down the road, I thought if I did not move the truck will stop since it did not have much place to go ahead, boy was I wrong! The truck instead of slowing down had picked up speed, thought that the trucker was just trying to scare me, so stood my ground without budging (and holding my breath, still hoping that the truck will slow down as it get's closer). Looking at my rear view mirror, I noticed that the truck was not slowing down and even if it braked I surely would be under the dirty monster, I had to buck and jump the signal to give way to the truck as had the others waiting alongwith me. The truck swooshed past ahead. At first I thought that the brakes on the truck might have failed but as soon as I took a turn into a petrol bunk I saw the truck stop at the next signal ahead because there was a traffic warden at the side of the road.

Though I hate to break any traffic rules it is sometimes just to save your own life.
Old 16th October 2009, 23:51   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
When you are at the signal, please space equally from both sides, such a way that you dont allow 800s and Autos to squeeze through...........2 lanes mean 2 lanes, not 4 lanes !! If there are 2 lanes, maintain 2 lanes, and the crowd behind you will tend to follow you also.
Good points. But I'm not sure the 800s should be put in the same category as autodrivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSteer View Post
....I suppose two wheeler rider can see the road just with street lights. But such two wheelers will not be visible to on-coming traffic, neither will they be visible in rear view mirrors........
Yes, I agree - had a couple of close calls recently during heavy rains at around dusk recently - just doesn't seem to occur to these guys that in addition to seeing they need to be seen as well.

Last edited by straightdrive : 17th October 2009 at 00:07.
Old 17th October 2009, 01:40   #128
Senior - BHPian

Something I have noticed with a lot of folks on the road- two wheelers as well as four- when taking a left, they never look to their right to check if anything is heading in their direction. They might be turning from a major road into a minor, or vice versa- but the oncoming traffic better brake, or hit them
Old 17th October 2009, 08:49   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
- when taking a left, they never look to their right to check if anything is heading in their direction. They might be turning from a major road into a minor, or vice versa- but the oncoming traffic better brake, or hit them
Anyways as you take the left, obviously the right will be on full view right.. or am I missing something
Old 17th October 2009, 10:26   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Anyways as you take the left, obviously the right will be on full view right.. or am I missing something
The right is not in full view: you are turning left and looking straight ahead with respect to your car, so you are in effect looking to the left. I was recently in a right hand drive country; they don't take a free right turn without checking on-coming traffic from the left. If there if traffic going straight, the person taking right turn waits.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:54   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Something I have noticed with a lot of folks on the road- two wheelers as well as four- when taking a left, they never look to their right to check if anything is heading in their direction. They might be turning from a major road into a minor, or vice versa- but the oncoming traffic better brake, or hit them
This usually happens when there is a free left on to a major road & people just don't notice the oncoming vehicles especially the two-wheelers. sometimes one must be wondering why are they risking their lives like this?

Does anyone take the koyambedu-guindy stretch to commute to their home or office? I am experiencing one of the worst traffic behaviors like lane cutting, honking., I was under the impression that the hosur road of bangalore was bad, but this road is evil...

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 17th October 2009 at 10:58.
Old 7th November 2009, 00:15   #132

Next Steps ???

Hi All ….. It’s really heartening to see at least we all know what the current state is and what the ideal state should be. And we can safely conclude that this problem is more or less same everywhere irrespective of the state and city.

And I really don’t blame any individual for this. Had I been given proper knowledge about all this at the right age (say 5-10 years of age or so), all this would have permanently etched in my brain. How many of us are ‘formally taught’ that we need to yield the way for Ambulance, Fire Engines and Police (not Politicians) though I know this should come naturally as a basic human courtesies.

To quote one of the interesting incidents here, I was sitting in a car with one of my friends (who was driving) has his 6 year old daughter. He jumped the red light and his daughter innocently said - '' Papa, red light pe stop karna hota hai (Dad you must stop on red light) ''. My friend had no answer but simply smiled and ignored. And I am sure, he would NOT have changed after that.

I would really like to see all of us making some consolidated effort to see the change. We definitely owe better roads and better road sense to our next generation. I understand that it is easier said than done but let’s start small. Atleast (and easiest) we can do it is to compile a list of universal laws and basic road courtesies which at least we can use to teach our children at home (charity begins at home ) and then follow them ourselves as far as possible( or rather practical) to set the right examples for our children. And good things do spread and propagate maybe slower than bad things. Slowly these things can creep into school curriculum, driving license application process etc etc. (Maybe i am too optimistic but its definitely worth an effort)

I am sure all of us have lot of excellent thoughts and ideas but apart from that, I am more optimistic because this forum has successfully translated many plans into actions in the past like t-bhp meets, OTR events etc.
My long cherished dream is to see the same camaraderie on Indian roads as we see in this forum. Inviting bouquets and brickbats… Guys keep the ideas coming.

Maybe someone can start a new thread to discuss the ‘Action Plan‘. I would have started it myself and I did not get a chance to go through the rules yet and I don’t to mess up .

Last edited by Eddy : 7th November 2009 at 00:18. Reason: Please do not copy-paste from an external editor. OR remove the tags & fonts before posting. Thanks
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:21   #133
BHPian

This is a good video from the UK's Think campaign to show what to do when you see an ambulance

http://paramedictv.ems1.com/Clip.asp...DEFA6B79EC26CE

@Mods - How do you embed youtube videos in the thread

Last edited by adits : 22nd December 2009 at 17:23. Reason: Removed Links
Old 22nd December 2009, 23:37   #134
Senior - BHPian

here is one car on display due to bad road manners!
Attached Thumbnails
Road Etiquette : How not to drive !!-2jdjtkl.jpg  

Old 13th January 2010, 23:33   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitjindal.in View Post

I would really like to see all of us making some consolidated effort to see the change. We definitely owe better roads and better road sense to our next generation. I understand that it is easier said than done but let’s start small. \

Maybe someone can start a new thread to discuss the ‘Action Plan‘. I would have started it myself and I did not get a chance to go through the rules yet and I don’t to mess up .
Each of us has a sphere of influence no matter how small it is and it is important that we do something in this sphere. I chose to reform my usual taxi driver who drops me and picks me up from BIAL.

To start with he was quite rash, honking a lot, etc. The first time I gently told him that his behaviour would do his blood pressure no good and he was welcome to take a free BP check up with my father (a GP).

Still not enough effect. Then I told him one morning to drive at 50 km/h till Hebbal and then stick to 80 km/h till BIAL. We took 50 mins instead of 45. Then he sort of agreed that it was useless to speed.

He used to honk as soon as the light went green. I asked him why he thought the rest of the people would like to stay on sight-see at the lights. Point taken.

Along the way I told him gently but firmly that if he wanted my business (Rs.6000/month) he and any substitute driver he sent in his absence would have to adhere to all rules, no honking at lights, etc etc.

One day it was past 11 p.m. and he was merrily jumping lights. I asked him what the matter was. He said that no policeman would catch us at that time. I was livid and asked him if he would take my dead body to the crematorium in case someone crashed into us while jumping the lights. He got shaken (most of them don't like to hear about death, etc) and promised never to jump lights again and he has been true to his word. Even his substitutes stick to the straight and narrow.

Can I change the whole world? I can't. But can I try and change a few people. Certainly.

Srivathsa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks