Team-BHP - % of import components-SWIFT
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   % of import components-SWIFT (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/6426-import-components-swift.html)

I have heard that Honda City's sold in 1998 is far superior that the one's sold after 2001 as the earlier one is 100% imported from Japan.

Does any one know what's the percentage of import and indigenous in SWIFT. i.e. 50% of imported parts and 50% manufactured locally, especially I would like to know about the engine

Quote:

I have heard that Honda City's sold in 1998 is far superior that the one's sold after 2001 as the earlier one is 100% imported from Japan.
The Honda City was never producedin Japan, only Thailand :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise
I have heard that Honda City's sold in 1998 is far superior that the one's sold after 2001

agree: I have a 1998 first batch city 1.3 and its done well over 1 lakh kms and is still running STRONG! I really cant telll any difference in the performance or ride today or on the day i first sat in it. No doubt the car has been maintaned very well by my family but there wasnt much to worry about as the car didnt come up with any major problems ever besides wear and tear issues. Its remarkable how honda engines last a lifetime!

Getting back to the topic.... I think most of the swift parts r Indian as maruti is well established here and can produce most of the things locally. Honda back then was just starting up so thats why they probably had more imported parts. i think usually all companys that start up here tend to use more imported parts and then move on to slowly making everything locally after they are well established.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
The Honda City was never producedin Japan, only Thailand :)

The Sundaram guys always put the point its a 100% relaiable japenese technology and engine while they try to sell out the used cars. Hence I was under the impression that it was from Japan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise

????????what makes you feel that the indian city is not as good as the japanese one

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya
????????what makes you feel that the indian city is not as good as the japanese one

I have heard people, who own both the 98 and after 2000 versions, said that. I have not driven Honda City.

Well, atleast we can say the same for the Swift. The quality of the rubber beadings and plastics is definitely of a lower grade in the Indian made swift.

it has been localised upto 85% of the whole unit.....i read somewhere, cant recall where sorry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
it has been localised upto 85% of the whole unit.....i read somewhere, cant recall where sorry:

I think 85 % localisation was for Getz and not Swift.

Swift has been localised to 87% when it was launched.
I think it should have increased by now judging by the Panel Gaps and quality of some plastics.

According to the salesman who had come to give me a test ride of swift, there are just three imported components
1. Gearbox
2. Automatic Climate Control
3. Alloys
Even the airbags are sourced locally (but cost Rs 60k to replace when used:eek: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by k36
According to the salesman who had come to give me a test ride of swift, there are just three imported components
1. Gearbox
2. Automatic Climate Control
3. Alloys
Even the airbags are sourced locally (but cost Rs 60k to replace when used:eek: )

In addition brake pads and wipers too...