Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 13:39   #226
BHPian

Re: Ford India's future line up

Anything between 7.5 to 10L for topend will be welcome.
If its sharing parts with Fiesta then this may be easier to do for Ford, but knowing how they goofed up with the new Fiestas pricing, I will wait until they unveil the car (and even then they may not mention the pricing).
Old 26th December 2011, 14:43   #227
Team-BHP Support

Here is my take on Ecosport the pricing: (I compare the highest end diesel pricing)

- XUV highest end 2WD in Bangalore comes to around 15-15.5L OTR
- So definitely highest end Ecosport has to be lesser than it. (In fact much lesser).

So for working hypothesis, if we assume, Ford decides to price it higher than Fiesta Sedan, we are then looking at 12-15L (OTR Bangalore) range.
Now even if we assume 13L as a decent target for the pricing, the only counter points are:

1. 13L for 5-Seater?
2. Price greater than Fiesta Sedan?

Now if we assume, the pricing is OK, then for that price, we should get very-very good quality of interiors. But going by what we have
seen with the new Fiesta, I suspect if that would happen. Not that plastics of new Fiesta are bad, but they are not all the great either (at least for a 12L pricing.)

Please comment if you think that's not right.

So definitely if we expect, Fiesta sedan like interiors, then 13L for a 5-seater not VFM.

Then what remains is, if the price should be equal or less than the Fiesta sedan. Ideally I would expect the pricing to be lower than the
Fiesta sedan. Bu then going by the current sales of the sedan, Ecosport would dent it further.

So as per my thoughts, Ford should keep the Eco Sport pricing equal to the current sedan (i.e 12L max). At the same time, they should also
reduce the sedan's pricing by maybe 50-75K. This way, they can expect sales of the sedan to increase. At the same time, 12L highest end diesel
would be good price point for Eco-sport as well.

We cannot expect the diesel variant of of Ecosport to be much lower than the sedan. Only argument in favour is the fact that EcoSport would get
the sub 4m benefit. But I doubt Ford would pass on that benefit fully to the buyer, at the cost sacrificing Fiesta sedan sales.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 17:41   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So for working hypothesis, if we assume, Ford decides to price it higher than Fiesta Sedan, we are then looking at 12-15L (OTR Bangalore) range.
Now even if we assume 13L as a decent target for the pricing, the only counter points are:

1. 13L for 5-Seater?
2. Price greater than Fiesta Sedan?
In my opinion the EcoSport should be priced less than the sedan, given it falls under the sub-4 meter, less excise bracket. If it's priced on par with sedan (or higher) it will need a significant jump in features. In my opinion, that will not happen because the sedan is quite loaded already. And the two share a lot of parts.

It will be interesting to see how Ford positions the 1-liter, 3-cylinder EcoBoost petrol engine the car is expected to come with. It is supposed to be a powerful, torquey, fuel efficient and thoroughly modern engine. Still, 1-liter for a 10 lakh car will put some people off. Considering the sedan has a 1.5-liter petrol engine, that's another reason why I think the SUV can't be priced higher. Ford needs the 1-liter to get the excise benefit for the EcoSport.

Last edited by StarScream : 26th December 2011 at 17:42.
Old 26th December 2011, 18:24   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
It will be interesting to see how Ford positions the 1-liter, 3-cylinder EcoBoost petrol engine the car is expected to come with. It is supposed to be a powerful, torquey, fuel efficient and thoroughly modern engine. Still, 1-liter for a 10 lakh car will put some people off. Considering the sedan has a 1.5-liter petrol engine, that's another reason why I think the SUV can't be priced higher. Ford needs the 1-liter to get the excise benefit for the EcoSport.

That is a good point, which I also thought about. The price range I think will have to over lap.
The petrol version cheaper than sedan and the diesel being marginally costlier.

I do agree that ideally the SUV diesel should also be cheaper. But we need to see how would Ford compromise the sale of the sedan against the SUV.
Old 26th December 2011, 20:55   #230
BHPian

The price range starting 7.5 should be good enought to get the sales chart in fire with default ABS from low end version since every new buyer now expects ABS even in low end.

anything more that this price is going to be difficult , even if we consider 7.5 ex-show the OTR will be close to 9 lacs for low end model.

with growing wish for SUV and mini SUV good price range for EcoSport will give numbers for ford.

-AM
Old 26th December 2011, 23:03   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

I might sound stupid! But - are they going to share the parts of Ecosport with new Fiesta? What if they share parts with Fiesta Classic / Figo ? Would not that make the car cheaper to price than new Fiesta ? That would also give the differentiation between the cars right?
Old 27th December 2011, 09:28   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I might sound stupid! But - are they going to share the parts of Ecosport with new Fiesta? What if they share parts with Fiesta Classic / Figo ? Would not that make the car cheaper to price than new Fiesta ? That would also give the differentiation between the cars right?
That aint stupid at all. Sharing with the Figo/Classic makes more sense. Ford should have leant a lesson from the 'Success of the Figo' and the 'Failure of the New Fiesta' !!

Its better to low price a product during introduction. Once the product starts selling and gains a reputation, an upward tweak of the price will not matter much.
Old 27th December 2011, 09:50   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
That aint stupid at all. Sharing with the Figo/Classic makes more sense. Ford should have leant a lesson from the 'Success of the Figo' and the 'Failure of the New Fiesta' !!
Going by the news that the said SUV/Cross-over is the 2nd of the 8 global products from Ford (planned for India), the underpinnings should be more with the Fiesta hatch and not with the Figo or Classic. As a product, that’s definitely a plus. But the negative is, it may not come as cheap as expected.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:26   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What if they share parts with Fiesta Classic / Figo ? Would not that make the car cheaper to price than new Fiesta ?
That would also give the differentiation between the cars right?
Thats a valida point. But as vb-san said, the Ford release is a new one and I think its the next generation Ecosport. Hence as I tried to explain the pricing in the prior post,
I still feel you will see it priced a tad higher than the sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Going by the news that the said SUV/Cross-over is the 2nd of the 8 global products from Ford (planned for India),
the underpinnings should be more with the Fiesta hatch and not with the Figo or Classic. As a product, that’s definitely a plus. But the negative is,
it may not come as cheap as expected.

Valid points. I just hope, they dont blow up the price way above sedan, I hope they reduce the sedan price and replace the sedan price to the SUV.
That in my opinion is the best possible option. (Unless Ford reduces price for both!)
Old 29th December 2011, 11:26   #235
Senior - BHPian

Though the underpinnings of the Figo and the Classic are still competitive, class leading actually! It makes more sense for the Ecosport to share the underpinnings with the all new Fiesta sedan, thus making it better in many respects including handling and safety. So the Ecosport in all probability might become a Fusion successor (not in sales regard ), a vehicle that will entice its owners year after year. The Ecosport will take t he cost benefits out of the Fiesta sedan, as it would have saved a lot on R&D costs already.

Here's the first accurate rendering of the Ecosport! Feast your eyes guys!
Ford India's future line up-2012fordecosportrender.jpg
The headlamps are a toned down version of the teaser image released.
Ford India's future line up-2012fordecosportrenderrear.jpg
Rear is directly taken off from the image uploaded in Ford India website.

Looks great IMHO (though squeeze isn't my kind of a colour) Will look much better in darker shades of colour.

Engine options would include :
*110 bhp 1.5 Ti-VCT carried over from the Fiesta
*90 bhp 1.5 TDCi also carrier over from the Fiesta
*All new Ford's 1 litre Fox engine with GDi and turbocharging, climed to produce close to 100 bhp!

Here'e the link to the article on IAB - Ford EcoSport for India - Rendered Glory!

But this model is very many months away from launch as even the underpinnings haven't been consolidated - as testing continues in Fiesta disguise still. Here is the link to the other article which is quite confusing now - Ford Ecosport awaits Indian Visa, tests continue in Brazil
Old 4th January 2012, 13:46   #236
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ecosport unveiling today evening at 1600
normally_crazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 14:03   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ford Ecosport unveiling today evening at 1600
wow! thats some concrete news. Any info as to where the unveiling will happen and if there is a webcast on the same.
Old 4th January 2012, 14:13   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Any info as to where the unveiling will happen and if there is a webcast on the same.
Ecosport will obviously be unveiled at Auto Expo. As for webcast, visit https://www.facebook.com/FordIndia. This page will be updated at 4pm.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 4th January 2012 at 14:15.
Old 4th January 2012, 14:37   #239
BHPian

NEW DELHI, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. will invest $142 million to manufacture a new global compact SUV at the company's Chennai plant in south India, Michael Boneham, managing director of Ford India, said on Wednesday.
The SUV will be unveiled later on Wednesday, Ford said.
The company, which sold just under 100,000 cars in India in 2011, has said it hopes Asia will contribute a third of its global sales by 2020.
The 2012 India Auto Expo, held once every two years, begins on Thursday in New Delhi.

Source: Reuters
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 15:43   #240
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Link to Live Feed

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2012 at 15:44.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks