Team-BHP - Toyota to add 60 new dealerships by end 2010. EDIT : Now crosses 4,00,000 sales
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota to add 60 new dealerships by end 2010. EDIT : Now crosses 4,00,000 sales (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/64552-toyota-add-60-new-dealerships-end-2010-edit-now-crosses-4-00-000-sales.html)

Has the giant woken up from its slumber? Or will only time tell. Toyota has 90 dealerships today and says that it plans to expand to 150 by 2010! That's a massive 67% increase in their network in 17 months.

I suggest a couple more things for their to-do list:

- Build the damn Camry HERE! It's getting smoked by the Accord & Superb due to the inflated CBU pricing.

- An Altis diesel to increase market share in the C+ segment

- A hatch in the 5 - 6 lakh segment.

- Reduce turnaround times. It took all of 5 years to get the Fortuner home!

They've just opened their 90'th facility today:

Quote:

New Delhi, August 31st, 2009 – Toyota Kirloskar Motor inaugurated a new dealership
in Delhi at Mathura Road. With the launch of Espirit Toyota, Toyota’s dealer network across 65 cities in India now totals 90 outlets. Espirit Toyota will offer sales, financing and insurance facilities from its premises in addition to world class after sales service.

Espirit Toyota is based on the latest DIVA facility concept showcases advanced features and systems of Toyota Brand, and is aimed at providing Quality Experience to its customers. The new concept provides a warm and inviting ambience and welcomes customers from all segments with friendly atmosphere while maintaining QUALITY in all aspects of customer interaction. The concept also helps to maximize business opportunities within a Dealership and improves in Customer Retention.

Mr. Hiroshi Nakagawa (Managing Director, TKM) and Mr. Sandeep Singh (DMD, Marketing, TKM) inaugurated Espirit Toyota in the presence of other officials from TKM and the dealership.

Saw that Espirit ad yesterday in the Sunday papers.

Wish they would open a good service centre in East Delhi though. In Delhi/NCR, service centres exist for North, South, NOIDA, and Ghaziabad; but nothing in East Delhi (although Uttam Toyota has a sales showroom in East Delhi).

They will need to improve their network if they have any plans on launching a smaller, high volume car. So far in 2009, I have seen 2 sales showrooms opening in Delhi (Galaxy and Espirit) and 1 service centre. In addition, perhaps Grace opened in Gurgaon.

Delhi is perhaps amongst the largest market for Toyota, and my experience with their service has been quite good though some dealers such as MGF require a week's notice for servicing!!

As for the hatch, I am eagerly awaiting that for my wife provided it is an AT. However, knowing the Toyota way or given the Fortuner demand-supply, who knows when and at what price??

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1459193)
Has the giant woken up from its slumber? Or will only time tell. Toyota has 90 dealerships today and says that it plans to expand to 150 by 2010! That's a massive 67% increase in their network in 17 months.

I hope this means what I think it means. Tha Yaris or an equivalent is coming. clap:

Agree. Also:

- The Vios as a SX4 / City / Linea / Fiesta segment competitor.

Quote:

I suggest a couple more things for their to-do list:

That is a good news, At last the Global No 1 is taking active strides in India as well.

In my view Toyota should focus on

1. Building Distribution and Service network.
2. Local Manufactruing of all the models
3. Availability of cheaper spare parts and accessories
4. Products in all segments (B+, C, C+ D, E) from say 5.5L till 40L
5. Finance/Insurance tie up with major banks , FIs
6. Tie up with Corporates and offering good deals to corporate employees
7. Building Greener cars (more FE, less Emission, hybrids etc)
8. Design and Innovation Leader

I know for sure that Japanese companies focus on profitability and sustainability more than volume growth. Hence I expect Toyota to be slow and steady.

+ a Mid size sedan (fiesta,city competitor)

Quote:

- Build the damn Camry HERE! It's getting smoked by the Accord & Superb due to the inflated CBU pricing.

- Reduce turnaround times. It took all of 5 years to get the Fortuner home!

wow !! 150 dealerships by 2010 is truly impressive.

I genuinely hope Toyota incorporates GTO's suggestions into those 150 dealerships !!

OT:
Maybe 10 BHP'ians can come together, pull in the money and start a dealership by the name BHP TOYOTA :)

Now that they are No.1, just goes to show that they are interested in churning a major chunk of its revenues from the sub-continent, to stay up there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1459243)
Now that they are No.1, just goes to show that they are interested in churning a major chunk of its revenues from the sub-continent, to stay up there.

The fact is that they want to remain No 1 (in sales that is), their future growth has to come from India and China. They are not big or even close to that in these markets. The US market could blow a hole of 1 million in Toyota's sales during the next 1-3 years.

how about making the lc200 a CKD. you can save a lot then. Definitely will sell much more then what it is doing right now.

Just like other members have mentioned before, I believe Toyota wants to rapidly increase its dealer presence before launching its small car. The present network is way too thin to cover the smaller towns, especially taking a small car into account.
One does have to appreciate Toyota's way of thinking i.e. to establish a wider A.S.S network before launching the car, rather than see sales struggle despite heavy marketing/discounting (a la Spark). This is something that Ford could learn from before launching their small car.

I guess this is all in preparation for the small car launch. A mass market product needs a better service and sales network.

Toyota have been advertising on their website for dealership inquiries for quite some time now. Its important for them to expand in the tier 2-3 Cities & not to Monopolize dealerships. I see at some places dealer monopoly exists, it is at such places that quality suffers. I have myself experienced poor customer dealings at a no. of dealerships in small towns where monopoly exists.

I do not have high hopes with their small car platform, that space is already occupied & bristling with good competition. Also, they would be pretty late to the party!

What Toyota needs to spruce up is their design philosophy, its increasingly becoming very generic(boring).

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar (Post 1459235)
wow !! 150 dealerships by 2010 is truly impressive.

I genuinely hope Toyota incorporates GTO's suggestions into those 150 dealerships !!

OT:
Maybe 10 BHP'ians can come together, pull in the money and start a dealership by the name BHP TOYOTA :)

:thumbs up I wouldnt mind =). I have the funds but not exactly sure who would share my passion and hard work to make it succesful. I cant do it all alone

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp1 (Post 1459809)
What Toyota needs to spruce up is their design philosophy, its increasingly becoming very generic(boring).

If you want design and get more adventure out of life, then there is always the Octavia, Laura, and Superb.