Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will the new Sonata finally gets the success it deserved?
Yes 79 60.31%
No 52 39.69%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 12:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

The Genesis looks amazing! I'd buy that for sure

The Sonata isn't that good but it is an eye catching design and will probably work well. I hope Hyundai changes the name to something else to avoid the image baggage of the current Sonata.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Improved a lot from the very old Sonata to the latest one. It can be a success if Hyundai plays right!
Old 1st September 2009, 13:22   #33
BHPian

If they keep on improving themselves, they will succeed for sure. I see no reason why.
Things change with time and and so do brand image. Hyundai is known for delivering value for money vehicles with good service back up. Their next generation diesel engines have it in them to spell trouble for Japanese and European rivals. By taking a close look at GENESIS, they indeed can take the game to their rivals, that's for sure. They've done well in small car segment and in India, that's the job half done.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

The car looks good, but the Sonata name is damaged goods in India now. They need to call it iX (X=number) and price the diesel at 15 lacs.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:07   #35
BHPian

IMO this one looks far far better than the older versions.
I could be a killer if priced just below Accord with a good diesel mill.

If I had this kinda bugdet I would have gone for the Honda Accord !
Old 1st September 2009, 14:33   #36
BHPian

The designing cues are definitely in line with the i20, but more ambitious and bold by far the best designing effort by Hyundai. Considering the market response towards the i20, I feel this will have alot of takers here if priced and positioned appropriately.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

ANHC + S-Class + Beemer. Hyundai designers work with Photoshop, as opposed to every other company's designers who work with 3D applications
Old 1st September 2009, 15:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai can keep on improving (as they have done), but most likely they do not have the brand equity to compete with Japanese and Europeans in this segment. The previous Sonatas testified to this, as does the present Verna.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:27   #39
BHPian

Hyundai cars somehow look a lil too funky to me.
They are well engineered but it seems like it has an identity crisis in the 10lac+ bracket.
I have serious doubts whether this car would be launched in India any time soon.
This sonata seems to have paddle shifts (gauging from one of the pix).
Does anybody know of any other Hyundai with Paddle Shifts?
Old 1st September 2009, 15:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Voted- Yes.
The car looks good imho.
If priced correctly and had a good diesel engine can give accord nightmares.
And ya agree to the members here- looks ANHC from front.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:30   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
well, i would disagree with a few posts here, firstly if the first gen sonata and accord were to be compared, the sonata outsold the accord in a 2:1 ratio. so hyundai can do well in the luxury market provided they play thier cards right.

if the product is marketed correctly, then it would become absolute hit thanks to it's vfm characteristics, the embera esp the diesel variant was a very very good car, but didnt sell thanks to improper marketing by the hyundai guys.
Rather than the first gen sonata doing well, i think it was more a case of the first gen accord in India doing poor, come one the accord was one of the mst drab designs and the new accord 2004 changed the market, the sontata gold gen 1 was the best option then, but the competetion was weak at that point of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashani View Post
Hyundai cars somehow look a lil too funky to me.
They are well engineered but it seems like it has an identity crisis in the 10lac+ bracket.
I have serious doubts whether this car would be launched in India any time soon.
This sonata seems to have paddle shifts (gauging from one of the pix).
Does anybody know of any other Hyundai with Paddle Shifts?
Yep the Hyundai identity crisis is the only uniform trend that they carry on over the years, the gen1 had nothing to link it with gen2 and this has nothing to link it with gen3 ball all three can be linked to various jags, merc, accord models, so rather than having a family look they tend to have competetion look. But here too keep on changing the company/car whose look they copy so the consistency is lost.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:07   #42
BANNED

Hyundai have the problem of being identified with cheap and cheerful cars. I have a feeling that they may be better off with a new and upmarket label for the higher end cars - like Cadillac, Lincoln, Acura, Lexus ...
Old 8th September 2009, 10:46   #43
BHPian

The Sonata in the pics looks good and funky. But I feel the front has been overdone.

The current Sonata (Transform) also looks good, has a good road presence, loaded with all features and is priced far lesser than its competitors. But the problem is, people who spend over 10 lakhs plus for a car needs the car to be a status symbol as well, which the slanted H badge doesn't provide. Honda, Skoda, Toyota and the 3 BIG ONES are considered high prestige badges and that's why they sell.
Old 8th September 2009, 11:05   #44
BHPian

Sonata is bad name here , So insted of sonata if they launch it with say i40/ i50 it may work. Also hyundia is improving

getz -> flop
i20-> hit

So this model may work
Old 8th September 2009, 13:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

What the hell is wrong with Hyundai's design- why do they make the front look so horrible? The 1st Gen Santro, Elantra, Verna, and now this!

(No offence anyone- I own or have driven all the cars listed, and love them for what they are!)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks