Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do You consider Fuel Efficiency figures while buying a new Car
Yes 167 56.61%
No 21 7.12%
I do, but it is not very high on my priorities. 107 36.27%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 20:41   #1
BHPian

SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)

SIAM has updated Fuel Efficiency figures for its member & participating automobile manufactures. It is available for viewing at their website SIAM India - Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers | Vehicle Manufacturers Association in India.. I have extracted these figures and are posted here for everyone's reference.

Four Wheelers

SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh11.jpg
SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh12.jpg
SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh2.jpg
SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh3.jpg
SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_fourwh4.jpg

Two Wheelers

SIAM / ARAI Fuel Efficiency Figures (Now with Jan 2011 Data - pg6)-imagessiam_twowh.jpg

IMHO, These figures have thrown some interesting facts. Some of the manufacturers deemed to be poor performers in efficiency department have shown great figures. On the other hand, Some brands have failed to live up to perceived notions.

Amongst the different fuel types, Diesel engines lead the pack and a worthy mention goes to engines developed by FIAT (Multijet), HYUNDAI (CRDi) and quite surprisingly, TATA (DiCOR). On the other hand, LPG disappoints massively. With no car having figures above 13kmpl, One must either stick with cheap and peppy gasoline or spend a little more and get hugely fuel efficient Diesel Engine.

SUV's have been perennial laggers in efficiency department but what is heartening to observe is that a lot of SUV's are improving and competing with their Sedan counterparts.

Honda Civic Hybrid is a standout example of manufacturers seriously devoting R&D towards better fuel efficiency figures and HYBRID technology is the future of automobiles. I actually regret not having bought this car when it was sold for less than 15L. Also, I hope cars like Prius make inroads at the very earliest.

Tata's DiCOR engine has been the biggest surprise. It is the most fuel efficient engine most value for money engine in India. It is in fact more value for money than Tata's very own NANO engine! Kudos to the Indian manufacturer. And at the same time hope that refinement issues are ironed out at the earliest which would make this engine a truly world class engine.

Some of the other highlights of this list are :

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT CAR (GASOLINE) :
TATA NANO - 23.65kmpl

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT CAR (DIESEL) :
TATA INDIGO DiCOR / TATA INDIGO CS DiCOR - 23.57kmpl

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT CAR (LPG / CNG):
WAGON R LPG - 13.10kmpl

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT ALTERNATIVE ENGINE:
HONDA CIVIC HYBRID - 20.70kmpl

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT MINICAR (NANO, 800, ALTO, SPARK, A-STAR, WAGON-R):
GASOLINE - TATA NANO

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT PREMIUM HATCHBACK :
DIESEL - FIAT 500
GASOLINE - HYUNDAI i10 1.2

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT SEDAN :
DIESEL - TATA INDIGO DiCOR / TATA INDIGO CS DiCOR
GASOLINE - HYUNDAI VERNA

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT SUV / MUV :
GASOLINE - HONDA CR-V RVSi MT
DIESEL - FORCE TRAX JUDO BS III

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT PREMIUM CAR (> 20 LAC):
GASOLINE - SKODA SUPERB 1.8TSI
DIESEL - BMW 320d

MOST FUEL EFFICIENT PREMIUM SUV (> 20 LAC):
GASOLINE - BMW X3XDRIVE 25i SAV
DIESEL - BMW X3XDRIVE 20d SAV
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SIAM Fuel Efficiency.pdf (330.8 KB, 3542 views)

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd May 2010 at 15:47. Reason: Adding images to the post
akhilesh51 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2009, 20:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Something near to what SIAM/ARAI FE figs (quoted by car makers) FE figures are usually achieved only on US roads or at 2AM on Indian roads.
Old 1st September 2009, 20:57   #3
BHPian

I never look at Manugacturer-suggested FE figures.
I read TBHP user figures!
Old 1st September 2009, 21:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Something near to what SIAM/ARAI FE figs (quoted by car makers) FE figures are usually achieved only on US roads or at 2AM on Indian roads.
SIAM figures are based on 'normal' driving conditions with certain load capacity, city-highway mix, etc.

I agree these figures would not be matched by every driver and some would swear actually doing better than these figures. But, they do provide a comparison with other cars that one may be interested in buying.

In fact, Government (ARAI) is planning on introducing Star Ratings (similar to electronics) for automobiles. Let's see how long it takes for this to become a reality.
Old 1st September 2009, 21:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Declared Fuel Economy is a guidance

For me the Declarted Fuel Economy by the car OEM is a guidance
but it is a key indicator of how greener the car the car could be ?

it is also gives a guidance of what i could expect the actual FE really could be.

My recent purchase decision was also influenced by ANHC's Declared FE of 16.4 KMPL
Old 1st September 2009, 21:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
SIAM figures are based on 'normal' driving conditions with certain load capacity, city-highway mix, etc.
First, I appreciate your thread opener.

I am not disputing those figures since we should expect ARAI/SIAM to have at least achieved those figs. However, whether those normal conditions are normal are not, not likely in most situations. So those figs could be misinterpreted and give a higher fig than most Indian users will get.

Even the US govt publishes FE figs, and if you trawl thru their site and US users' sites, the FE figs achieved there under normal conditions are much higher.
Old 1st September 2009, 21:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Those figures are never reached in the city. But they are very very achievable on the highway. I can easily achieve those figures in my car with a light foot. Infact I've managed more. However its hard to control oneself and maintain a light foot
Old 1st September 2009, 22:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Some very interesting findings:
  • ANHC is more efficient then Jazz
  • Verna is more efficient then ANHC
  • Kappa 1.2 is the most efficient among all Hyundai engines, more efficient then even smaller Hyundai engines
  • Difference between AT and manal version of ANHC is not much but it is not so with Civic
Old 1st September 2009, 22:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

So looks like Shah Rukh Khan was right about the Kappa engine after all.
Old 1st September 2009, 22:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Never give into these figures. These are under ideal testing conditions. Practically the world is different. Gearing can again lead to differnet figures. Traffic conditions and driving pattern can also affect the FE. This is just a standard like it is with bikes.
Bikes are tested with some specific kg of weight at around 40 kmph and then FE figure of 100+ are shown. They do not matter much.

When was I10 into premium hatchback segment ?
Old 1st September 2009, 23:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Never give into these figures. These are under ideal testing conditions. Practically the world is different. Gearing can again lead to differnet figures. Traffic conditions and driving pattern can also affect the FE. This is just a standard like it is with bikes.
Bikes are tested with some specific kg of weight at around 40 kmph and then FE figure of 100+ are shown. They do not matter much.

When was I10 into premium hatchback segment ?
Notation 'Premium Hatchback' is in itself quite controversial. In my comparison, I considered i10 1.2 as premium because of the price band which is similar to Ritz (premium hatchback by most auto mags) and engine capacity of 1200 cc similar to Jazz. Sorry for my ignorance in case I misunderstood something here.

Once again, I will stress that one can never put a figure to cars fuel efficiency because no two people drive the same way, neither in same conditions. Any FE figure is an indication to compare different cars considering all cars undergo same testing conditions.
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps ARAI/SIAM normal does not include:
1. Buses resting in the middle of the road.
2. People blocking one lane because the pavement is encroached or just that they feel they are strolling in the lawn.
3. Unexpected scud missiles from all directions.
4. VIP movements
5. Other drivers driving on the wrong side of the road.
6. Road construction
7. Pathetic state of most roads.
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Infact I've managed more. However its hard to control oneself and maintain a light foot
I would say it is hard to control and maintain a light hand on the horn in many situations. Also some situations call desperately for a heavy foot to remove the missiles coming.
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:26   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Perhaps ARAI/SIAM normal does not include:
1. Buses resting in the middle of the road.
2. People blocking one lane because the pavement is encroached or just that they feel they are strolling in the lawn.
3. Unexpected scud missiles from all directions.
4. VIP movements
5. Other drivers driving on the wrong side of the road.
6. Road construction
7. Pathetic state of most roads.
Is it genuinely possible to consider all these parameters and then give out FE figures?

What are we trying to achieve anyways?

For that matter can FE be a constant ever?

I think this FE thing is long in the tooth. We want fuel efficient cars look at the technology that goes into it - you will have an answer.

Trying to refute FE claims under ideal, highway, city, normal and what not is just plain waste of time.

No one considers the driver who is driving the car, every other test will go out of the window with this one change in parameter - lets not even get to environment, climate, height from sea level etc.

The figure quoted anywhere will be an approximate - always. Why do we keep seeking accuracy down to 1 decimal? A plus or a minus will be present from the quoted numbers. Until they are within a certain range acknowledging the cc, weight, etc of the vehicle we should be good.

Last edited by Spitfire : 2nd September 2009 at 14:28.
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:30   #15
BHPian

I don't believe the SIAM figures, real world scenarios are totally different.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks