Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 15:32   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
I hope Cruze is launched this month . Was anxiously waiting whole september for the release . All we have now is specs and test drive reports. Suppose now they could launch it to put all speculations to rest.

--Vikrant
Yes, the Cruze is definitely out this month, in fact deliveries start this month as well. The entire universe awaits its price .
Old 5th October 2009, 15:47   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
The things that were missing that I expected to be present are (maybe are present in a different model):-
1. lamp washers.
2. electronic seat settings
3. electronicly closed ORVM's (though they can be adjusted electronically but not closed)

Good Pictures and a neat description Deky!!
However the ORVM's in the model I checked out auto fold/unfold. Also there is an aux - in for iPods and Multimedia Players.
I have 2 questions :
1) What did you think of the beige color inside? any comments on that.
2) The back seat "hump" below the middle seat, how flat was it in comparison to the Civic?
Old 5th October 2009, 16:02   #183
BHPian

wow it looks real kool , lets see how the performance would be when its on roads.
Old 5th October 2009, 17:29   #184
BHPian

Got to see and sit in the Cruze this evening at the "personal pre-launch party" held at Chandigarh's Taj GVK. As I deliberately reached there an hour earlier, I had the place and the car to myself.

1. A Chevrolet manager told me that the top-end model will be priced around Rs 14 lakh. He said it would be nearer to Rs 14 lakh rather than Rs 15 lakh;

2. An automatic version is expected to be launched in January 2010;

3. The car is impressive to look at. I could not have a proper look at its rear as it was too near the wall;

4. Engine noise in barely audible inside the car but I must add that as music was being played in the hall one can't be certain of the actual engine noise level;

5. The keyless start and entry, etc, is really convenient;

6. There are many programmable features but the driver's seat has to be adjusted by hand;

7. The sunroof is electronically operatable but I don't see one using it except to let in the sun in winter;

8. A big drawback is that the roof is on the low side. When I raised the driver's seat to get a better view across the bonnet, my head touched the ceiling and I'm only 5' 9" and do not wear a turban.

9. The glove box is not cooled; no blue tooth; no rear a/c vents -- only ducts under the front seats -- whatever that means;

10. The Manager said that they are offering a three-year warranty;

11. The rear seats have an arm rest in the centre but you can either place your cups in it or you arm!

No test drive was allowed.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 5th October 2009 at 17:30.
Old 5th October 2009, 18:38   #185
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spot on with your analysis, Ivar! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
A big drawback is that the roof is on the low side. When I raised the driver's seat to get a better view across the bonnet, my head touched the ceiling and I'm
only 5' 9" and do not wear a turban.
Our observations have been the same. Its the coupe-like roof line at play here. Someone wearing a turban won't fit on the rear seat at all!
Old 5th October 2009, 19:11   #186
BANNED

Good aggressive frontal design, eventhough the side is plain and rear is a mix of Civic and DZire.

And, seeing the pathetic sales numbers of Optra, I'm doubtful about Cruze's success.
Old 5th October 2009, 20:16   #187
BHPian

I too am a bit doubtful of its success, purely because of lack of Headroom. People's purchase in this segment tilts more towards comfort and I dont think there is comfort is holding your head low, or keeping an arched back to avoid banging your head on the roof.

The rear seat is more raised compared to the front, but the roof slopes towards the rear. Perfect recipe for Disaster.
Old 5th October 2009, 20:39   #188
BANNED

Noting something from the pictures posted - the safety locks (or is there a better term) or the push pull type - like you find in the old santro !!!

That kinda looks cheap - you would not want spend 13L and keep dragging at knobs protruding up vertically like in a mid 70's car. They could have done with the elegant safety lock integrated with the handles.
Old 5th October 2009, 23:11   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Noting something from the pictures posted - the safety locks (or is there a better term) or the push pull type - like you find in the old santro !!!

That kinda looks cheap - you would not want spend 13L and keep dragging at knobs protruding up vertically like in a mid 70's car. They could have done with the elegant safety lock integrated with the handles.
The BMW also comes with stick type knobs - so its definitely not cheap!
In BMW, you CANNOT pull out the knob (its goes well in without leaving any stub)- but one tug at the door open handle pops the knob, the second tug opens the door.
I wonder that cruze comes with same features!
Also, today I saw the tiger themed teaser ad from chevy - 'coming this October'
Old 5th October 2009, 23:30   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Mudflaps are missing. Arent they provided as a STOCK (body coloured) fitment in this segment ??
Old 6th October 2009, 07:36   #191
BHPian

Finally got a test drive

Prologue: Went to Jammu to attend a cousin's wedding. That's that. Dad said that our sweet Aveo has crossed 25K kms, so let's get it serviced here only. Went to K.C. Motors, Jammu. The dealer said it will take 3 hours. Went to the showroom and started gasping at the Captiva. At 17.56 Ex-Showroom it looked like a steal. Then, out of conversation I enquired about the Cruze. The sales person Mr. Vijay quite a great fellow said that they have one car but they can't take it out on the road. I pressuried them by giving them some Delhi gyaan(Dilli vaale Zindabaad!). The guy was impressed because i knew more features of the car then him. But, he said that he will provide a test drive but witout taking pictures. I was like

Test Drive: The model which was brought was an LTZ Blue color & it looked stunning from every angle. Dad took the wheel with the sales guy. Me taking the rear seat alongwith the driver.Dad put it in first gear & Voila it stalled No experience of diesel. Dad brought it on the bypass (4 lane /2 lane) & surged in the 4th gear. The car was gathering speed at 30 kms but after the tacho crossed 1350 rpm a sudden zoom & monster was brought to life. After driving for 1.5 kms dad passed over the monster to me.

With a twinkle in my eyes, I buckled up the seat belts & asked the sales person to do the same. He didn't pay any heed. first gear & i pushed the tacho to 4000 odd rpm & the speedo was touching 50kms/hr Slotted into second then pushed it to 3500 rpms. Didn't note the speed. Putting into 3rd, 4th & 5th, I was suddenly doing speeds of 150-160 on a highway that can't be called a highway. Yes, I am impressed with the monstorous pace but that initial lag till 1400-1500 rpm is quite evident.

Handling: Took a dangerous U-Turn at 40 kms & the car perfecly handled its line. No understeer or oversteer & yes the steering is quite responsive. Manouvering at high speeds of 110 was a piece of cake but the ride is a bit stiff. Its stiff but when inside it doesn't let the bumps transfer much to the passengers.

Braking: Both LT & LTZ come with ABS as standard. Driving on a straight line at 140 kms i suddenly applied breaks & boy o boy the car stopped (came to a stand still) in no time The sales person was in shock but the driver sitting behind was enjoying every moment.

NVH: Though there is huge grunt when you are outside after all it is a 2.0 litre plonker. But when inside you can never tell you are in Diesel jet. As for vibrations, the car had only travelled 560 kms(MD of K.C. motors using it to full satisfaction.No vibrations but a brand new car. Harshness nil! even when u r at the redline.

Exteriors: I love the front stance. It is like a jaguar about to pounce on its prey. The side styling is good too & in the blue color it was looking like a Beemer from the side. My dad contradicted on the rear side, that it looked ugly but in my opinion it wasn't that bad. The sun roof is a great feature with all tilt & full open settings & has got a safety net too. The rear parking sensors are a pre-requisite & it is good that Chevy has packed it in the deal.

Interiors: The first Chevy car with grey interiors, i was astonished after the Beige used in Aveo & Optra. But a welcome change was no faux wooden panels on dashboard. The MMI interface is great but the missing point in the music system was USB connectivity. Chevy grow up! Ample leg room in rear as well as front with the steering adjustable for reach & rake. The PEPS system is simply mind blowing. Car Keys forget it. Another great feature is that if you have left the car keys inside the car & you are outside the car will start giving an alarm system if you are outside the range of 5 metres or so(don't remember exactly). A huge glove box(And i mean huge). No chilled glovebox though. for the first time, a chevy with Right hand controls. Lights on right & wipers on left. Now what will happen if i buy one after Aveo!!!Trip Computer tells the avg fuel consumption, in my case the drive of 8-9 kms on such a highway it was displaying 12.9kmpl which is good(because i don't call it a highway). Mirrors are elcetroncally retractable & adjustable.

Now, the pricing part. The sales guy said he didn't have an idea & lo & behold came the MD of KC motors. K.C Group is one of the biggest groups in Jammu. He said that the price indicated t them is 13.4-13.7 lakhs for LTZ & it comes with 3 years warranty.

Overall, i will give the car 4.5 on 5. They said their major focus is on Laura. But i suggested them to attack the pack consisting of Civic, Corolla etc. They said that it might be a possibility that Optra Magnum Diesel prices might take a hit by 50k but he said that as of now no extinction of Optra Diesel.

If my dad splurges out the cash, I am game for the Cruze.

If i have missed anything please do let me know!
Old 6th October 2009, 07:53   #192
BHPian

Good review.
There are far more positives than negatives as far as this car is concerned. As far as turbo lag is concerned, it's synonymous with diesels but i guess it's not that irritating.
Old 6th October 2009, 08:17   #193
BHPian

P.S. A few things that I overlooked to mention in my previous post:

1. When I raised the driver's seat, I felt that the steering was a bit low and needed to be adjusted accordingly. But when I tried to do so, I realised that it was at its maximum height and could only go lower;

2. I got a feeling of being cramped in the driver's seat but this needs further confirmation. I did not get a feeling of spaciousness once inside the car like say in the Accord but then that is a higher priced vehicle.

3. I am not also very sure whether the visibility across the bonnet from the driver's seat is all that good even after raising the seat, which also brings one in conflict with the roof.

Conclusion: I will not be in a hurry to buy this car and instead will wait for further feedback from actual day-to-day users.
Old 6th October 2009, 10:40   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
P.S. A few things that I overlooked to mention in my previous post:

1. When I raised the driver's seat, I felt that the steering was a bit low and needed to be adjusted accordingly. But when I tried to do so, I realised that it was at its maximum height and could only go lower;

2. I got a feeling of being cramped in the driver's seat but this needs further confirmation. I did not get a feeling of spaciousness once inside the car like say in the Accord but then that is a higher priced vehicle.

3. I am not also very sure whether the visibility across the bonnet from the driver's seat is all that good even after raising the seat, which also brings one in conflict with the roof.

Conclusion: I will not be in a hurry to buy this car and instead will wait for further feedback from actual day-to-day users.

Even i felt it to be a little cramped up . Even rear seats seems to be little cramped . I also saw the car yesterday at Taj , Chandigarh.

Note from Mod: Please refrain from using SMS language on the forum. Write complete words (little for lil)

Last edited by ankit_chd : 6th October 2009 at 10:50.
Old 6th October 2009, 10:55   #195
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The new age cars are deisgned to be (seem) more spacious inside than they actually are. The Accord and Camry since they are already large do not use too much of this method and are big on the outside and inside.

On the other hand the civic, city, cruz, Laura etc, all try to be bigger on the inside than on the ourside. (cab forward design etc. ) but this is very subjective and work for certain mainstream body types and sizes and not for all.- The Japs, Korean and now even the germans excell at this skill.

Linea on the other hand is bigger on the outside than on the inside - the Italian way of doing things.

So while buying one of these types of cars one needs to try out various cars and see which is best from the size prespective.

Cruz is essentially a mid way design so should feel about as spacious on the inside as it is big, it is not too cab forward, though it does have a twin cotpit wrap around feel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks