Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:07   #61
BHPian

Rear legroom is cramped though, if they price it at 12 lac+ it might back fire against other competition.
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:02   #62
BHPian

If its priced 11 lacs petrol and 13 lacs for diesel and then it will sell
as the interiors and exteriors are excellent ,but any thing more
than that ,most buyers will say I wanted to buy a cruz but i bought
a Civic . Corolla , Laura , Jetta the competition is formidable in this
category and its going to get more fierce in times to come

GM has a excellent product now it should also have the right attitude
and price it right no point finding excuses to give discount later on
and ruining and awesome car once again

How to launch car i would say GM should look up to Toyota (fortunner )
as this product could be make it or break it for them
Old 4th September 2009, 00:44   #63
Team-BHP Support

Pricing:

I would look at pricing very differently for the petrol and diesel cruze.

Petrol: Has its work cut out given the extremely formidable competition in Altis / Civic. Rock solid brand value and great resale for both these. The Laura petrol too has its own USP with its earth shattering performance. The comparatively average performance mantle of the petrol cruze plus above factors will make pricing extremely crucial for its success - feature loading notwithstanding. If its in nodding distance of its competition's pricing, it'll find it very difficult to pull too many customers away.

Diesel: This is a different animal altogether. The immediate competition (read Laura / Jetta / Sonata) do not have as strong a brand value as Honda / Toyota so the competition is a little more on even footing here (VW is still not deep enough in the Indian market even though it has better pedigree on paper). Diesel Cruze is in a different league performance wise than the insipid 105'ish bhp (approx) Laura / Jetta.

Separately, I do think the Cruze does not seem overpriced in the diesel segment given this context. I do agree though that lack of an automatic may limit its appeal to a large section of buyers. They should introduce an A/T asap.

@sidindica: Color scheme: Are you sure the color scheme includes white. I saw the vehicle on two autoshows (Overdrive and Autocar) and don't remember seeing white interiors.
Old 4th September 2009, 08:47   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Awesome useful information...any chance to see the pics for the Indian version
See the September issue of Autocar.
Old 4th September 2009, 09:38   #65
BHPian

GM doesnt have any good petrol engines to compete with the Japs (Civic/Corolla/Cedia), not sure if the 1.8 is a deivative of Holden? Better bet to focus on the stonker Diesel. Since the Captiva already has a AT, it shouldnt be difficult to release one in Cruze. Hope they address the turbo lag...
Old 4th September 2009, 09:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Just to add, even the vRS has a cruise control in it in India.
Scorpio VLX also has cruise control ( manual transmission).
Old 4th September 2009, 09:57   #67
JRD
BHPian

Looks great.! its going to shake up the market really nicely.
Old 4th September 2009, 09:58   #68
BHPian

I was seriously considering a Sonata CRDi before I settled for Laura AT. After reading the specs of Cruze, I was wondering if it had an AT option would I consider it. Answer is YES for the engine and still NO even if it had an AT option because Laura is in different league with its DSG. The kit list is impressive/ tempting in Cruze yet, Laura exceeds the specs sheet and feel good (oomph) factor- though it may be subjective- despite the price. Legthwise - rear seat comfort should be better in Cruze as compared against the Laura.

Sonata would continue to be a VFM - extremely nice to drive and be chauffer driven with superb Hyundai after sales support.

IMO- Chevrolet Cruze has the potential to be the best car so far in the Chevrolet kitty in terms of specs at the given prive point but it may be difficult for it to create a flutter in the Civic, Corolla ,Laura, Jetta or Sonata( though may not be selling) market. Of course, it may pull away some Linea, Verna, SX4, Optra Magnum customers and some power/ performance hungry car lovers- e.g. modded Lancer/Cedia fans.

[quote=Axe77;1465242]Pricing:

Diesel: This is a different animal altogether. The immediate competition (read Laura / Jetta / Sonata) do not have as strong a brand value as Honda / Toyota so the competition is a little more on even footing here (VW is still not deep enough in the Indian market even though it has better pedigree on paper). Diesel Cruze is in a different league performance wise than the insipid 105'ish bhp (approx) Laura / Jetta.

Separately, I do think the Cruze does not seem overpriced in the diesel segment given this context. I do agree though that lack of an automatic may limit its appeal to a large section of buyers. They should introduce an A/T asap.

quote]
Old 4th September 2009, 12:39   #69
BHPian

Exterior, I hope this would be the same looks for the models being launched in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Cruze missile fired in a Team of BHPians-chevy-cruze.jpg  

Old 4th September 2009, 13:33   #70
BHPian

It is, at least from the scoops people have spotted in Whitefield, Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Exterior, I hope this would be the same looks for the models being launched in India.
Old 4th September 2009, 13:37   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
It is, at least from the scoops people have spotted in Whitefield, Bangalore.
I don't think we can anymore call it a scoop.

It has been doing left and right of country without covers and by now most of us even remember the GJ numbers

Possibly, thats' what GM wanted!!
Old 4th September 2009, 16:10   #72
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Max price crossing civic or Altis top models wont work in India even if the product is arguably better. If the diesel were to be withing the civic top model price of 13.xx on road then it has some chance of success.

Skoda inspite of poorer *** has better Brand value in India so wont affect it that much.
Old 4th September 2009, 20:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

This car is highly overrated and looks like a scaled down version of a Sonata. Not worth it, at the purported asking price of over 12million. It will go down the 'Verna way' too.
Old 4th September 2009, 22:29   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
This car is highly overrated and looks like a scaled down version of a Sonata. Not worth it, at the purported asking price of over 12million. It will go down the 'Verna way' too.
It is over 1.2 million and not 12 million
Old 5th September 2009, 03:02   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I don't think we can anymore call it a scoop.

It has been doing left and right of country without covers and by now most of us even remember the GJ numbers

Possibly, thats' what GM wanted!!
Agreed. I spotted one on Mount Road today with just the badge stickered up. Not doing much to hide the rest of it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed