Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 14:56   #181
Senior - BHPian

I don't think I can ever buy a Hyundai after reading this Jeremy Clarkson statement.

"There’s something I’ve found out as well. If you buy a Hyundai, or any car from that part of the world, you will be seen as a bore. Invitations will dry up, your kids will refuse to speak to you, your wife will sleep with your friends and you may end up committing suicide. "
Old 8th September 2009, 14:58   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I don't think I can ever buy a Hyundai after reading this Jeremy Clarkson statement.

"There’s something I’ve found out as well. If you buy a Hyundai, or any car from that part of the world, you will be seen as a bore. Invitations will dry up, your kids will refuse to speak to you, your wife will sleep with your friends and you may end up committing suicide. "

well if you buy cars based on Jeremy Clarkson's recommendations, the only option available to you is Ariel Atom !!
Old 8th September 2009, 15:04   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and you may end up committing suicide. "
Wonder why this statement is not made about European cars.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:07   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well if you buy cars based on Jeremy Clarkson's recommendations, the only option available to you is Ariel Atom !!
What if Ariel decides to remove the SC VTEC engine and replace it with a Hyundai VGT?

Not a bad idea really....if not anything, it'l atleast be the most economical track car.

Shan2nu
Old 8th September 2009, 15:09   #185
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand this funda of saying car X left car Y in the dust when someone drove from A to B. I have also said that I have given tough fights to C Class MBs many times. How do we know how much the other driver was pushing ? Maybe he was not as crazy as you ? Maybe he just wasn't in the mood to take it further or he lacks the confidence. How could that make car X to be the best car on the highway ?

I can recall all this talk about the Elantra started after a Yelagiri trip when some elantras were running away from the RS'es. These kind of comparisons & tests are very very dangerous especially on T-BHP drives when the adrenaline could kick up very easily.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:10   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think the OP has what we mallus call 'akkarapacha'

or , in english, as "the grass is greener on the other side"

I'd say put your money where your mouth is, buy a damn hyundai, live with it for a few years, service it a few times, crash it once or twice, and get it repaired back to shape , and then come and preach about it. Till then, you yourself are just as prejudiced as the others are, in a different sort of way though.
++1.
Well said man. Though this thread is going no where its getting interesting every post. My toy is better than yours, my toy holds record for being fastest on "X" track second only to the champ!. Guys you people are fighting like kids.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:20   #187
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Now your saying that you recommend real tuners like Raj/Bobby but have never tried them for your own car.
In the last 2yrs I have been silent, I have had the chance to see their works in close quarters to realize how the real tuners work from the wannabe's and its been quite an eye opener. Its not that I wouldn't want to try them, infact I might have a surprise in store sometime in the near future. But I just prefer going the DIY route like Jitu, only because I want to learn it myself. If not, I WILL give my car to these two eyes closed.

Quote:
Then you pretty authoritatively say that yoko S.drives are very poor tyres when you haven't owned them till now.
I have driven both the Elantra and the Baleno pretty extensively to warrant a comment like that. If you chose to ignore the fact that you were in the Elantra when this happened, I really can't say more.

Quote:
If you remember vikram_d and iceman91 were using them on track and those cars were handling pretty good (I sat in both of them).
No offense, but kindly check the lap times to see how hard these cars were being pushed. I don't want to start another debate on this. That said, read my post properly, I have mentioned the S.drives have decent lateral grip but are horrible under braking. I find it amusing that you conveniently miss out points from my posts just to prove your theory.

Quote:
Yes I know Tadu had issues but the tyres cannot be termed bad just because they are not suitable to one car.
Ok! Agreed. But what about the instances I had in the Baleno? Anyways, can you give me an explaination asto why they behaved so horribly on Tadu's car?

Quote:
So that means that you are basically dishing out advice and recommending stuff that you yourself have never bought or spent your money on.
Viddy! I have spent enough money on cars and mods to realize the good from the bad (albeit a little late). Atleast for my own reference in future or for those people who value my opinion. Also, most reviews on this forum are from initial test-drives about every car under the sun, so according to your theory, just because people don't own them or didn't put their money down means they don't have the right to dish out advice? I find that funny and convenient to prove your point.

Quote:
And just because you say a swift rattles and is bad does not mean that people will stop buying the Swift or any other maruti.
Only because I say the swift rattles? Kindly check the thread specifically started for rattles on the Swift. 98% owners complain of severe rattles.

Quote:
So if people buy a Swift then they can also be termed as biased
Not if people BUY a swift. But when a new comer comes around asking for advice on what car to buy, if owners do conveniently forget to mention the bad build quality, it is being biased. I think I have mentioned this point already.

Quote:
I read the first few posts of your thread and did not find any point in those posts.
Viddy, just to make things easier for you, kindly head over to the travelogues section and read my Yercaud thread. I can show you countless such threads, but whats the point? You just wont look at the other end of the coin.

Quote:
I liked the car but even I felt that it was not worth 17L even with all those features and the 6 speed CRDI engine.
Whether it was worth it or not is for you to decide. I can't comment on that. But, given the sufficient budget, I am yet to come across threads where people have recommended a Getz over Punto, Swift, Palio etc. 90% of the times, its not even mentioned on the threads. Wonder why? That is the point I was hoping to find an answer for. Given the budget to go for a Getz, why do most members not even suggest a Getz (just using it as an eg). Instead each one is out trying to prove why one must buy a Punto/Swift/Vista/Palio.

Quote:
This whole thread would make sense if you were the one owning hyundai cars, using them everyday, spending on fuel and on service and repairs.
Viddy, I had to take care of my aunt's Accent for a year when she had moved to Bellary on work, Akshay, Memo have seen that car. And after all the niggles were sorted out by Hyundai, it wasn't that bad, yes I had to pay for the service, I had to spend on fuel from my own pocket since it was my daily drive when the Baleno was out. I drive these Hyundai's (Getz/Elantra) atleast 2 times a week, to Nandi and back, on almost all long drives we guys go on. I worked on close quarters with Satya's Elantra while it was being modded. I accompanied him each time to the service station, was involved in every nut and bolt that was changed in his car. I have seen the FE figures these guys get, I have been there when every bill was being paid. To sum it up, I feel these cars are as much dear to me as to their owners themselves. I am aware of EVERY single detail that these guys have spent on their cars, issues faced etc. I get calls everyday from them and we talk about the cars for hours. So as much as you try to say, I don't understand what it feels like to own a Hyundai, I shall only disagree. Infact, when Satya sold his car, I was the one who was deeply upset.

If I owned a Hyundai, then you yourself would be accusing me of blowing my own trumpet and trying to make my tribe grow.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:33   #188
BHPian

I wonder what purpose this thread is serving. What is applicable to Hyundai, is also applicable to FIAT, GM, TATA, HONDA and other cars in one way or other.

The perceptions play an important role the customer decisions and product sales. These perceptions are created, moulded and sustained by several factors. It is also an important function of the marketing dept to understand customer preferences, work on the product features, USPs, product blend etc. and accordingly run the marketing campaigns so as to CREATE favourable perception about their products. If a product range has unfavourable perception amongst the consumers, then its the marketing to be blamed. You will see so many examples around you how the consumer perceptions about particular products have changed over a period of time. (For example, Japanese products were considered to be of low quality a few decades back in US and Europe. You all know the situation now). So it is pointless to debate this issue here on this forum.

Mods,
I do not think this thread is going anywhere. Suggest, this be closed.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:34   #189
Senior - BHPian

RAHUL WAKE UP!!!

man this guy is in a perpetual dreamland....
Old 8th September 2009, 15:46   #190
Senior - BHPian

Mclaren, you expect logical answers for aspects like perceptions, bias and pre conceived notions which are not based on logic to begin with. They are what they are and no amount of discussion on a forum is going to change that. In the west, Hyundai is a cheap dog which poor people buy. In India they make unexciting commuter cars with funny grills. There are a couple of pre conceived notions for you.

These perceptions may change over the years as Hyundai evolves as a company. Will I recommend a Getz over a Swift to a friend? Nope, 'cos Getz is a flop car. Will I recommend a Verna over an ANHC? Nope again. Will I recommend an i10 over an Estilo/Wagon R? Yep!

And you keep giving personal examples like 'Akshay, Memo, Satya, DC' etc to prove your points. Who are these guys? I don't know them from Adam. This is a pointless thread.

Last edited by Gilead : 8th September 2009 at 15:48.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:53   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
But, given the sufficient budget, I am yet to come across threads where people have recommended a Getz over Punto, Swift, Palio etc. 90% of the times, its not even mentioned on the threads. Wonder why? That is the point I was hoping to find an answer for. Given the budget to go for a Getz, why do most members not even suggest a Getz (just using it as an eg). Instead each one is out trying to prove why one must buy a Punto/Swift/Vista/Palio.
Because for most people the Getz is about to be phased out and the i20 is selling pretty well. So the i20 makes way into these comparisons and I hardly see any Palio recommendations anymore neither do I see much for the Vista. The Swift / Punto / i20 are the rulers of this segment now.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:56   #192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
1. the cost factor and 2. We had the 2 Liter Cedia's which is a rally pedigree!!
Haha! In rally's no one really cares for the cost factor unless you are taking part in the RSC cup or the 1400cc. The factory teams (JK, MRF) certainly don't have budget constraints (yet they still run a few baleno's and not Vtec's) and certainly not the old timers who are all still driving around in Baleno's as privateers. If the VTEC was indeed that great (which it was), it would be the Baleno's that would have been scrapped? VTEC's were "unreliable" in the INRC events. When Honda refused to support them with spares, people backed out. That my friend, is the truth! Kindly get your facts right.

Quote:
I know it sounds stupid, but has any Hyundai done what a Vtec did for 4 years if not more!!
Hyundai never intended to enter motorsports in India if you noticed. Unlike Honda, started with a bang and fizzled out in 4yrs. Worst case is Tata, so much hoopla surrounding the Indica homologated for the INRC, end result, zilch!

Quote:
Bro! I dont see any point in this thread, its meaningless and anyone with some grey matter would not compare a Hyundai with the likes of a Fiat, Honda, Mitsubishi etc
I never compared the Hyundai's to Honda's Vtec. You did.

Quote:
Slightly OT: Where the heck is you Baleno man, it's time that you got back onto that and its time that you started taking out the "Fastest NA Baleno in the country"for drives, maybe then that you get out of this diesel smoke engulfing you.
Its pretty much at home man. I don't have money and more importantly time like you guys to keep experimenting and blowing engines anymore. I can't afford to have my car parked up like your car was without an engine in it for weeks.

The day I have enough time and finances put together, I shall work on the Baleno and trust me you will see a thread on it.

Quote:
PS: the thing is, it seems weird to come from a guy of your experience and having owned the fastest Baleno in the country!!
I don't find that weird. Its just that in these last two years, Fiesta 1.6S, Tata Xenon, Elantra, Getz have won over my heart. I have just realized I can drive a Elantra/Getz at the same pace I drive my baleno and yet get twice as much FE. Only thing I miss is the redline at 7,000 rpm. But the turbo kicking in makes up for it in more than one ways .

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I can recall all this talk about the Elantra started after a Yelagiri trip when some elantras were running away from the RS'es. These kind of comparisons & tests are very very dangerous especially on T-BHP drives when the adrenaline could kick up very easily.
John, lets not play "the holier than though" on this thread too. We have had plenty of debates on other threads on that. None of us here are saints, that said, I would request people to watch the videos first before making comments. John, check out the track day thread itself for the videos of the RS, Elantra in action.
Old 8th September 2009, 16:07   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
What if Ariel decides to remove the SC VTEC engine and replace it with a Hyundai VGT?

Not a bad idea really....if not anything, it'l atleast be the most economical track car.

Shan2nu

Clarkson shall then conveniently term the car as Arial Atom 'BOMB' , & the car shall then feature in his bottom list, just above City rover (rebadged Tata Indica)/ Tata nano / Reva (G wiz)

Last edited by blackasta : 8th September 2009 at 16:27.
Old 8th September 2009, 16:10   #194
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
I do not think this thread is going anywhere. Suggest, this be closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
RAHUL WAKE UP!!!
Amit, I am wide awake. I was just looking at some answers to why people make comments like these below:

Quote:
All I'm saying is, I think Hyundai as a manufacturer is crap and is being overly glorified.
Quote:
To tell you the truth I don't feel like driving a Getz or any Hyundai for that matter.

I just don't like the brand that's all. (Really don't know why)
Quote:
I will also advise you not to go for another i20. Look at different options. This tells you only one thing that the Quality of i20 is not very high.
I can show countless such statements backed without any proof. If the same thing was said about a Fiat I am sure we would have WWIII here.

Some members were kind enough to mention why these cars flopped and I agree to them (which served the 1st reason to start this thread).

Then came in the Honda and Fiat guys and started comparing their supercars with the A-B point cars and started shouting out how their cars were better conveniently neglecting their shortcomings.

I was hoping those who make some baseless allegations like the ones above would come and justify their statements (so that we all would know something that they do, but we don't about Korean cars), but sadly no one wants to. And I am the one asked to put my money where my mouth is.

Quote:
Mclaren, you expect logical answers for aspects like perceptions, bias and pre conceived notions which are not based on logic to begin with.
I think you are right.

Quote:
And you keep giving personal examples like 'Akshay, Memo, Satya, DC' etc to prove your points. Who are these guys? I don't know them from Adam.
These are all some of the old timers, if you have been around for long and have been following the Bangy scene, you will know them. Most people like Viddy, KP are aware of these members, hence my reference to such people.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 8th September 2009 at 16:12.
Old 8th September 2009, 16:21   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Then came in the Honda and Fiat guys and started comparing their supercars with the A-B point cars and started shouting out how their cars were better conveniently neglecting their shortcomings.
Well no one brought Fiat cars into this thread. Probably you've been reading too much Mac.

Quote:
I was hoping those who make some baseless allegations like the ones above would come and justify their statements (so that we all would know something that they do, but we don't about Korean cars), but sadly no one wants to. And I am the one asked to put my money where my mouth is.
So based on your confusion about where Hyundai stands, everyone who has a say against your idea of a "Hyundai" should invest in a Hyundai? How else do you want people to justify. And frankly speaking I am now beginning to realize that this thread is pointless.

I thought you wanted to know why Hyundai doesn't get any recognition on its otherwise flop products, which is well explained so far. But it seems you started this thread with an intent to have everyone agree with you without any constructive criticism which would never happen.

This thread is getting hilarious, I would like to keep my infraction free career as it is and bid adieu to this thread. Good luck with your quest.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks