Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:01   #31
vsh
BHPian

hi mclaren
i understand your concern. taking alalogy from films--i want to say that hyundai is like an ART FILM with highly talented(not popular!!) actors, great director , great technicians all making a very subtle movie, but we all know to ring the BOX OFFICE you need COMMERCIAL FILM with contents which can touch the masses.
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:02   #32
BHPian

IMO, Hyundai products are a great buy in the A & B segment were VFM is an important criteria and most are 1st time buyers . However due to their stupid pricing policy they have killed their own products . Current pricing of Getz D is perfect and see the number of new cars on road , even the petrol at current prices is great VFM comparing the space,quality of built and A.S.S network .

Even i10 sells decent numbers primarily due to Auto tranny and decent engine however we need to wait & see sales after Swift is launched with K series engine.
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:03   #33
BHPian

Thats a cool find kb100. Hyundai really deserves a bow .
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think there was a thread somewhere around here where the topic came up that Hyundai management felt that Indians were 'cheap' or something to that effect, and did not deserve anything better.
Is it any surprise that most Indians feel no different about their cars?

EDIT
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1159728
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...dai-plant.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 3rd September 2009 at 21:48.
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Mods, I request a poll here. If indeed there's anti Hyundai sentiment, it'll show best in an anonymous poll. So if you go eurghh if you think of Hyundai, vote and show it. If you think they're just no worse or better than the rest, i.e. its the car that makes the difference for you, then vote and speak out too. My bet is that there'll be very few Hyundai haters compared to the total number voting. Better to see if there are skewed perceptions, biased and preconceived notions in the first place before bothering with the why.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Mods, I request a poll here. If indeed there's anti Hyundai sentiment, it'll show best in an anonymous poll. So if you go eurghh if you think of Hyundai, vote and show it. If you think they're just no worse or better than the rest, i.e. its the car that makes the difference for you, then vote and speak out too. My bet is that there'll be very few Hyundai haters compared to the total number voting. Better to see if there are skewed perceptions, biased and preconceived notions in the first place before bothering with the why.
Polls will not work. Not many people here like to take part in such things other than few people who think this thread is un-warranted.

Coming to the subject, its difficult to break into a higher class when you have been active in lower classes for a long time.
But I like the persistent way Hyundai is trying in other markets. Here the numbers are small and its like you are there are completely not there.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Korean crap as they call it
i have one and though it aint a firebreather,it does the job pretty well
Well that's the truth Hyundai is a Koran crap even though i have nothing against the company or its cars.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
hi mclaren
i understand your concern. taking alalogy from films--i want to say that hyundai is like an ART FILM with highly talented(not popular!!) actors, great director , great technicians all making a very subtle movie, but we all know to ring the BOX OFFICE you need COMMERCIAL FILM with contents which can touch the masses.
This is actually Fiat that you are talking about, not Hyundai.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:36   #39
BHPian

As far as the below 10L segment goes, Hyundai seems well respected.

I guess Fiat is the one who is affected by such perceptions/bias, whatever car they launch.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:38   #40
BHPian

I was never a hyundai fan myself. Was more inclined to suzuki but now i own a getzi myself. Times are changing and it is better to adapt to the change.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:49   #41
BHPian

IMO Hyundai might have good cars but they do not have a good sales team or a dealers network atleast in & around Mumbai. I cannot comment on their A.S.S as i have not owned one. I tried to get one but was let down by their sales team & the dealer. They have always priced their cars wrong.

My experience with Tata & Fiat is also not bad. Hence i Keep all these 3 cos. at par. Tata diesel cars are VFM.

But Maruti is in all these matters. I donot say they have excellent cars, but they understand the market & are priced right.

This is my experience and not at all biased or preconceived notions. Till now i have owned amby, fiat, maruti & tata Vehicles.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:59   #42
ashwinpak

The original post appeared more of a PR excercise for Hyundai than anything else.

Having said that, my opinion is that Hyundai makes some decent cars, although not perfect ones. Their cars are better than most Marutis. Hyundai is still second to Maruti in sales only because, for a lot of Indians, buying a car is akin to buying a Maruti.

What I do not like about Hyundai is that their design dept is not upto the mark (except the i10 and i20), they have a fetish for beige (the interior of the verna looks like a crap-hole), and they do a lot of negative advertizing.

Old 3rd September 2009, 23:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Well that's the truth Hyundai is a Koran crap even though i have nothing against the company or its cars.
Hehe, just like Honda, Suzuki is Japanese sh*t, and Fiat is Italian poop, right?

Four years ago when I had to buy my first car, I had the option of a born twice-again Zen and Santro. Zen ruled my heart, it was peppy and I was coming from riding an RD350. But it was an old generation car. Its Hyundai counterpart was modern and young. For some time, I had this head vs heart debate, but finally heart gave way to the head (I didn't earn big money then) and I bought a new Santro.

4 years and six months later, touch wood, my Santro has never given me a single spot of bother. Not a single electrical/mechanical failure guys in 52,000 km of running! When I read here of people's VW/Skoda/Ford/Fiat/GM giving trouble in first few thousand of kms, I just breathe heavy and give a pleased eye to my car.

For all anyone may care, this was the car that originally redefined what premium small car experience could possibly be, before Fiat came with Palio (which is anyway a step above Santro). Today when I look at rattling Zens of my friends who bought their cars at the same time as I did, I just say to myself- that heart surely matters, but sometimes one should just listen to what the head says.
Old 3rd September 2009, 23:12   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think there was a thread somewhere around here where the topic came up that Hyundai management felt that Indians were 'cheap' or something to that effect, and did not deserve anything better
Which product of Hyundai in India is cheap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Today when I look at rattling Zens of my friends who bought their cars at the same time as I did, I just say to myself- that heart surely matters, but sometimes one should just listen to what the head says.
Old gen Zen had a following. MUL's grill job & tail-light jobs made Zen ugly. On the contrary, after various trial & error in design, Santro has reached a state of peace.
Old 3rd September 2009, 23:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Santro has reached a state of peace.
which was disrupted on september 1st!

cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed