Old 5th September 2009, 01:45   #91
Senior - BHPian

Well maintanence on hyundai car are expensive and so are the parts for this car
Old 5th September 2009, 01:46   #92
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Maybe some day I will pen that experience down - but that was a very very lucky escape!
how come you never spoke about this all these years? Time to starting typing Sujit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar
On what basis is this comment? I have personally witnessed my aunt go through a hard time with her Accent. She was delivered a lemon and IIRC, the parts weren't too expensive when compared to the competition.

Off lately, I have been involved with the Elantra's a lot. And weirdly I find their parts to be pretty reasonable as well. A clutch change costs around 10k, brakes cost around 4k. A friend got his suspension replaced recently on his Elantra that has nearly clocked 1L+ kms and the prices are pretty reasonable actually compared to the likes of the Civic, Magnum etc. And a steal compared to a Skoda Tdi.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 5th September 2009 at 01:58.
Old 5th September 2009, 01:56   #93
Senior - BHPian

in my experience, most of the hyundai owners ( santro/i10) i've met are not particularly car people, and dont feel any particular attachment to either the brand or the car. When I ask them why they bought it, the answer is usually " i did not want a maruti" or"my xyz has one" or "i wanted a car which looks kewl(Sic)" or something along those lines. They didn't have any particular requirements except that it needs to have 4 wheels and seats, so they take the satisfaction for granted, and are , consequently, not very vocal about their cars. Heck, i dont find anything in these cars to write home or on tbhp about

Getz and elantra owners are an entirely different breed altogether though

Last edited by greenhorn : 5th September 2009 at 01:59.
Old 5th September 2009, 01:58   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
What are you comparing this with? Can you please state an example? My personal experience has been just the opposite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
how come you never spoke about this all these years? Time to starting typing Sujit.
I will ... if I can shake off the lethargy!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Hyundai - in fact I did just that and bought an Accent CRDi (which I still use) over six years back.

And while on the subject, other than regular maintenance (oil, filters, tyres, battery, etc) I am yet to spend a single penny on anything which is not self inflicted!
Old 5th September 2009, 02:01   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Getz and elantra owners are an entirely different breed altogether though
Nah! Most of the getz/elantra owners are pretty sedate.

Don't mix up your regular owners with the mad uncle's from Bangalore or Ishan. Those guys don't come under the regular banner . They are one of a kind and you won't find them elsewhere.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On what basis is this comment? I have personally witnessed my aunt go through a hard time with her Accent. She was delivered a lemon and IIRC, the parts weren't too expensive when compared to the competition.

Off lately, I have been involved with the Elantra's a lot. And weirdly I find their parts to be pretty reasonable as well. A clutch change costs around 10k, brakes cost around 4k. A friend got his suspension replaced recently on his Elantra that has nearly clocked 1L+ kms and the prices are pretty reasonable actually compared to the likes of the Civic, Magnum etc. And a steal compared to a Skoda Tdi.

Compare it to other cars how much would you spend on a clutch change or even for that matter brakes.If you have to get some major work done you have to take it to the authorized service center where you have to pay a huge amount on labour where as it would be cheaper to get it done outside but you do not get the hyundai parts you get second grade korean stuff which is alrught but not as good as the original ones.the major amount of the money you spend is on labour charges and even parts.

Quote:
What are you comparing this with? Can you please state an example? My personal experience has been just the opposite!

Well its not just about an Elantra or civic its any other lower segment car also.suppose we take the example of the santro an Air cleaner element costs Rs 210/-(approx) in the market which is not an original part but a second quality part where as we compare it to a Wagon R costs Rs 150/-(approx) and the labour charges differ as in if you goto a hyundai authorised service station and if you go to a maruti authorized service station there is a difference in labour.For smaller cars the difference wouldn't be that much but for bigger car they are a bit more.

Many people may not agree to to what i say but well this is how i fell.
Please share your thoughts as well.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 5th September 2009 at 02:11.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

I know 3 getz owners and 2 elantra owners. Both the elantra guys are bhpians ( convival and basilmabraham) , and one of the getz owners is Dragsterr. but the other two are not bhpians, and yet pretty vocal - Today I got a ride home from one of them , a senior project manager in my co with whom we were discussing wipers ( it was raining) the anti stick dash, the ride quality and what not, and he started it

yes, they are sedate with their driving, but they are pretty vocal about their cars, unlike the former group.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:07   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Compare it to other cars how much would you spend on a clutch change or even for that matter brakes.If you have to get some major work done you have to take it to the authorized service center where you have to pay a huge amount on labour where as it would be cheaper to get it done outside but you do not get the hyundai parts you get second grade korean stuff which is alrught but not as good as the original ones.the major amount of the money you spend is on labour charges and even parts.
I think my previous post already mentions some of the rates on Hyundai parts. Note that here I am comparing a car which sold at a pretty expensive price to begin with. And the prices for the clutch/brakes are on par with the rest of the companies, infact cheaper than competition.

Almost all manufac's don't sell parts over the counter anymore. Including Maruti. So one does have to go to the Authorized Service Stations to get all the work done. If that were the case, I can get my baleno done up by a local mech too, but we all prefer going to the showroom thinking that what we get in return is more peace of mind for the extra dough spent. This is the biggest change in our auto industry. People are willing to go to the showrooms for small stuff than the roadside mech.

I think your views just goes to prove the title of the thread.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:13   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friend,

Without any figures or specifics both your comments are nothing more than sweeping (baseless) statements!

There is, for instance, enough published material comparing part prices across manufacturers and brands. None of those have come to the conclusion you seem to have. You are entitled to your opinion - but please do give some 'specific' examples of how you arrived at this POV. Not only will that benefit the others who are reading this, but you will also actually add value to the discussion!

While you are at it please compare prices across the same segment, and also take ownership costs as a whole (not piecemeal). When generalising, make sure what you say holds true across the segment .. for example if you had made the same statement about Skoda, everyone would have agreed with you.

I have spent lesser money on my Accent in the last six years than I have on my M800 - and this is a fact! (I still have both cars)

Last edited by kb100 : 5th September 2009 at 02:20.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:15   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think my previous post already mentions some of the rates on Hyundai parts. Note that here I am comparing a car which sold at a pretty expensive price to begin with. And the prices for the clutch/brakes are on par with the rest of the companies, infact cheaper than competition.

Almost all manufac's don't sell parts over the counter anymore. Including Maruti. So one does have to go to the Authorized Service Stations to get all the work done. If that were the case, I can get my baleno done up by a local mech too, but we all prefer going to the showroom thinking that what we get in return is more peace of mind for the extra dough spent. This is the biggest change in our auto industry. People are willing to go to the showrooms for small stuff than the roadside mech.

I think your views just goes to prove the title of the thread.
I beg to differ but you do get parts for maruti cars and every part depending on the shop you goto for all maruti parts and that also the MGP ones.No dealer would sell it that wasn't the point anyway.Its your choice if you want to give it to a maruti service centre or to a roadside mech or to a reputed garage because at the end of the day the car is yours and you are the one who will decide where you want to get it done and what you are comfertible with.

Quote:
Friend,

Without any figures or specifics both your comments are nothing more than sweeping (baseless) statements!

There is, for instance, enough published material comparing part prices across manufacturers and brands. None of those have come to the conclusion you seem to have. You are entitled to your opinion - but please do give some 'specific' examples of how you arrived at this POV. Not only will that benefit the others who are reading this, but you will also actually add value to the discussion!

Have mentioned it above!

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 5th September 2009 at 02:17.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:24   #101
BANNED

Quote:
I beg to differ but you do get parts for maruti cars and every part depending on the shop you goto for all maruti parts and that also the MGP ones.No dealer would sell it that wasn't the point anyway.
Owning 3 Suzuki's let me warn you that you get fake/local parts for the Maruti's too. Now Maruti has put up vendors in every city where most local garages will have to go to for parts. Try sourcing the SGP parts to know how difficult it is to get them from sources other than the legal vendors.

I see that you own a lot of vintage cars. Maybe that is the reason why you prefer doing a DIY or sourcing parts from all corners of the town. But not all of us are comfy in sending our cars to local garages or have the time to do the running around.

Quote:
Have mentioned it above!
I think Sujit meant more on the lines of hard facts with some figures to prove your point.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 5th September 2009 at 02:27.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:27   #102
Senior - BHPian

Maruti parts are the most duplicated in the market. I will NEVER buy a part from outside - unless I am picking it up directly from teh OEM manufacturer.

Secondly I found the Hyundai workshop labour costs FAR CHEAPER than anything outside! For example I just had the engine oil and filter changed today - labour cost - Rs85/- This is in Bangalore! :-)

I have some tinkering work - the cheapest quote I got outside was over 10k, while Hyundai A.S.S quoted 5k for the same thing - mind you this comes with the added peace of mind of a 6 month warranty!

My opinion comes from having owned and maintained a Hyundai car for over 6.5 years. What are you basing your opinion on?

Quote:

Well its not just about an Elantra or civic its any other lower segment car also.suppose we take the example of the santro an Air cleaner element costs Rs 210/-(approx) in the market which is not an original part but a second quality part where as we compare it to a Wagon R costs Rs 150/-(approx) and the labour charges differ as in if you goto a hyundai authorised service station and if you go to a maruti authorized service station there is a difference in labour.For smaller cars the difference wouldn't be that much but for bigger car they are a bit more.

Many people may not agree to to what i say but well this is how i fell.
Please share your thoughts as well.
The ORIGINAL air filter of a Santro costs only between 95-115/- in the showroom! The labour and parts prices are put up in any dealership - I encourage a visit - you will get some accurate, up-to-date information, and just maybe will help change your opinion as well!

One external link is put up for your reference. Hyundai Santro Maintenance

Last edited by kb100 : 5th September 2009 at 02:40.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:42   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friend,

While you are at it please compare prices across the same segment, and also take ownership costs as a whole (not piecemeal). When generalising, make sure what you say holds true across the segment .. for example if you had made the same statement about Skoda, everyone would have agreed with you.

I have spent lesser money on my Accent in the last six years than I have on my M800 - and this is a fact! (I still have both cars)
Well that is why i compared a santro and a wagon R becuase i wanted to compare in the same segment.

Quote:
Owning 3 Suzuki's let me warn you that you get fake/local parts for the Maruti's too. Now Maruti has put up vendors in every city where most local garages will have to go to for parts. Try sourcing the SGP parts to know how difficult it is to get them from sources other than the legal vendors.

I see that you own a lot of vintage cars. Maybe that is the reason why you prefer doing a DIY or sourcing parts from all corners of the town. But not all of us are comfy in sending our cars to local garages or have the time to do the running around.

I think Sujit meant more on the lines of hard facts with some figures to prove your point.
Quote:
Maruti parts are the most duplicated in the market. I will NEVER buy a part from outside - unless I am picking it up directly from teh OEM manufacturer.

Secondly I found the Hyundai workshop labour costs FAR CHEAPER than anything outside! For example I just had an oil change today - labour costs Rs85/- This is in Bangalore!

I have some tinkering work - the cheapest quote I got outside was over 10k, while Hyundai A.S.S quoted 5k for the same thing - mind you this comes with the added peace of mind of a 6 month warranty!
Well let me tell you one thing I own vintage cars because i have a passion for them and to get them going i do have to source parts fropm all over the world that doesn't make me prefer or not prefer sourcing parts.There is very little option in that category to get parts.We do get brand new stuff but manufactured abroad.Well to give our cars the edge above other ones we do that.

Sir,

If you have had a major accident on your car and your door or fender has been damaged and can be repaired but the service centre tells you to replace it and you give a go ahead on it how do you know wheather he is putting in a new door or fender or a used one from the scrap market or beating out the damaged portion and is billing you for the complete new part.Duplicating and cheating happens in service centres as well.I have seen it in many authorised service centres all over.Its just that the customers don't get to know about it.I belong from the automobile sector and know many serevice centre owners and know how they work all across the country so its just that if you don't know about something its not that its not happening.This is one of the reasons why one is not allowed to enter the workshop area.A part that is serviceable the service centre asks you to change but he just might end up servicing it and billing your for a new one.

- Its nothing personal just tried to put my views across. hope you don;t mind!

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 5th September 2009 at 02:47.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:52   #104
BANNED

Indrojit, I still get my baleno worked upon in a small garage where my tuner does all his work. So I get the drift when you say, you have to source parts from all over the world. I have been there done that.

Also, yes there is a lot of cheating that happens even in the showrooms too. But from my experience of accidental repairs I have always seen the damaged parts placed separately, while new parts went into the car. I had a couple of accidents on my swift, had to replace the bonnet, bumper etc and I was shown the old parts before they stacked them away for insurance purposes. Also seldom have I come across local garages being able to match metallic paint jobs as they don't have a dedicated paint booth like most showrooms.

Personally, if the work is major, I sit at the showroom floor and inspect the work. The advantage is the showroom handles the insurance bit for you, which can be a big headache otherwise. You are welcome to voice out your opinions, though it would be better if you presented them with some hard facts and figures.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 5th September 2009 at 02:54.
Old 5th September 2009, 02:59   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sir,

If you have had a major accident on your car and your door or fender has been damaged and can be repaired but the service centre tells you to replace it and you give a go ahead on it how do you know wheather he is putting in a new door or fender or a used one from the scrap market or beating out the damaged portion and is billing you for the complete new part.Duplicating and cheating happens in service centres as well.I have seen it in many authorised service centres all over.Its just that the customers don't get to know about it.I belong from the automobile sector and know many serevice centre owners and know how they work all across the country so its just that if you don't know about something its not that its not happening.This is one of the reasons why one is not allowed to enter the workshop area.A part that is serviceable the service centre asks you to change but he just might end up servicing it and billing your for a new one.

- Its nothing personal just tried to put my views across. hope you don;t mind!
NOw this is an entirely different matter - and something for another thread as well! All of that happens everywhere (I have a Maruti too - so I have first hand experience there too

YEs things happen in dealerships, authorised service centres - including Maruti. I have been shysted by mechanics outside as well. (Some despite having a 10 yr relationship)

Yes - the dealerships should be more transparent etc - which Hyundai is trying to be - if you visit any of their newer showrooms, you can sit and watch your car being worked on every day! I have always received the old parts from my car (esp in Kerala)

Yes the manufacturers should sell the parts over the counter ... there are some.

However all of this is not the subject of this thread - here we are talking about the 'negative' perception or biases of/against the 'Hyundai/Korean' brand.

And not to worry, nothing personal at all! It was your original statement "Well maintanence on hyundai car are expensive and so are the parts for this car " that sparked off this exchange.

Last edited by kb100 : 5th September 2009 at 03:02.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed