Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:07   #76
BHPian

Cruise Control is an absolute useless feature for Indian conditions. But most premium car manufacturers are forced to add this useless feature in their high-end trims of various models. The point is that most customers, who buy premium cars, are very well travelled and have seen these premium cars elsewhere in the world. They want point-by-point match to get a feeling that they are indeed buying that foreign dream machine. Even if one brand offers point-by-poin match, everyone else has to follow to remain competitive. Tell me what use "heated front seat" has in a tropical country like India ? Why is there no "cooled seat" which makes more sense for our summers ?

Not only cars, even with housing, this trend is quite obvious. Why do you think that most high-end villas (2 crores + price tag) have sloped roofs in their elevation ? What use sloped roof has in a tropical country like India ? I agree, they LOOK more close to those in the Bay Area or in Europe. What else ?
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:36   #77
BHPian

Cruise control are very useful for us.Because we are using it for switching the ECU map from Stock,93,95 Or 100 RON on VAG Cars.

Check this link

PJ

Last edited by PJSPEED : 3rd February 2010 at 15:42. Reason: link
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:27   #78
BHPian

I like CC in my Altis. It's great but you can not use it every day due to city traffic.
It helps on high ways only.
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:34   #79
BHPian

Yes to Cruise-control

When I hypermile at slow and steady speeds (70-80 kmph) over long drives (8 hours), I wish I had cruise-control. This will ease the pressure on my right foot.

When I buy my next car, I will ensure that it has CC.

The newer model Civic-AT has CC but my 2007 model does not have it .

Last edited by manim : 3rd February 2010 at 21:36.
Old 4th February 2010, 01:17   #80
BHPian

I find it hard to believe that even touching the accelerator turns the CC off in some cars. It doesn't in my car. If you have the CC set at, say, 60 mph, you can accelerate all you want beyond that point. When you get off the throttle, it decelerates the way it always does when you get off the throttle and settles back to crusing at 60. Or you can accelerate to 80, hit the Set button for the CC, and the new cruising speed becomes 80. Or you can just use the '+' button, which is the same as the Set button, to accelerate at 1 mph increments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
But I wish to know from those who've stayed abroad, do people drive in CC in cities there, like heavy, slow moving traffic? If so, that'll be amazing. I thought CC was meant for highways only.
I don't think anyone in their right mind here uses CC in slow moving traffic. And in my car, the CC works only above 30 mph

Last edited by tacho : 4th February 2010 at 01:20.
tacho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 03:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I find it hard to believe that even touching the accelerator turns the CC off in some cars. It doesn't in my car. If you have the CC set at, say, 60 mph, you can accelerate all you want beyond that point. When you get off the throttle, it decelerates the way it always does when you get off the throttle and settles back to crusing at 60. Or you can accelerate to 80, hit the Set button for the CC, and the new cruising speed becomes 80. Or you can just use the '+' button, which is the same as the Set button, to accelerate at 1 mph increments.
Different cars come with different CC implementations.

My sc300 has a version of CC where you can pressing accelerator does not change anything, but braking really stops CC. Alternatively there is a step up button that increases the speed. Then there are the regular stop and resume buttons

my 300xi comes with an additional step down button where in i can also reduce the speed. This negates the need for using the accelerator. In fact I haven't tested pressing the accelerator in the bimmer since i have the step up and step down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I don't think anyone in their right mind here uses CC in slow moving traffic. And in my car, the CC works only above 30 mph
+1. Bad idea to use CC in slow moving heavy traffic.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:50   #82
Senior - BHPian

YES i Use cruise control

on my trip to himachal, i used the cruise control on the mhawk extensively.

This feature actually relaxes you, as one just has to control the steering wheel.

There are many roads in India today where one can use this feature.

Yes in the city it is a useless feature.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 11:58   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
This feature actually relaxes you, as one just has to control the steering wheel.
Relaxing? Dangerous, if it is the mind. I can never lower my guard on Indian roads. Need to expect the unexpected, always.

Sure, cruise control is less tiring on the legs.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:46   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Relaxing? Dangerous, if it is the mind. I can never lower my guard on Indian roads. Need to expect the unexpected, always.

Sure, cruise control is less tiring on the legs.
drive on the new mumbai - baroda - ahmedabad - jaipur highways... you will really bless the guy who thought about cruise control

cheers,
ac
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:23   #85
BANNED

Re: Do we need cruise control in India?

I am using CC extensively on my CHEVY CRUZE VCDI AT on Highways and expressways around Delhi. Cancellation of CC happens only on Braking, but with RESUME selection the SET speed is achieved and maintained. Responsibility of the right leg is greatly reduced thus bringing in relief from fatigue. However during CC activation, increasing speed temporarily for overtakes etc does not render it cancelled, lifting the foot reduces the speed to the SET speed.GREAT FEATURE FOR LONG HIGHWAY DRIVING.
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:53   #86
Senior - BHPian

You can actually use the up/down setting the speed switch while in cruise to perform braking and acceleration. One step press increases speed or decreases by 1kmph. While continuous pressing of these buttons actually reduces speed faster and i have used them extensively on highways.

Inside city you hardly want to use the CC for its so much fun to ride manual with such a turbo engine.
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:55   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Cruise control was not something relevant to our market before. But now things have considerably changed and although still not a deal breaker function, it is a useful one. With the ever increasing multilane highways and expressways its an excellent feature to prevent driver fatigue and I guess unless you have experienced it, you will be apprehensive about it real advantage.
Old 3rd March 2014, 20:51   #88
Senior - BHPian

I recently used it while driving on the Bangalore-Mangalore Highway and did manage to use it for maybe some 30 seconds continuously. The good thing is the CC can be resumed (at least the Cruise function on the Honda City can be resumed).

Although it shuts off when I brake, I can hit the resume button to get it back on when the road is clear again and the car auto accelerates back to the original speed which is kind of convenient.

Like some of the others said, its not a deal breaker by today's standards but possibly would be necessity maybe 4-5 years down the lane.
Old 3rd March 2014, 21:40   #89
BHPian

Well you really need to use it to understand the benefits of cruise control.
A few years back people in India were off the opinion that Automaticss are not meant for Indian conditions, but look at the scenario today. Cruise control will catch up and would be a must in cars in the future.
The New Fiesta was on my hit list mainly due to this feature.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 21:46   #90
Senior - BHPian

Many have said this already but let me still reiterate - yes, you need cruise control. Go on roads like NH4 from Tumkur to Belgam. You will feel the need definitely. I do frequent runs to Goa and Kolhapur. It really gets painful when driving on such stretches without cruise control.

Of course there are few disadvantages - major one is the risk of feeling sleepy and boring. But that isn't much of a risk as traffic conditions don't last as is for hours! On our roads, cruise control is definitely useful, maybe lesser than western or European roads.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed