Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2009, 13:32   #1
BHPian

Do we need cruise control in India?

I don't think so seeing our traffic and road conditions. Top-end car makers like BMW do not offer this feature as they too feel it is of no use in India. I drove the 320d Highline and it did not have a cruise control.
Old 5th September 2009, 16:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

While it is a subjective matter, I personally have driven the W221 (S-Class) in the US with the distronic plus for a few hundred miles and honestly speaking it sure is a great driving aid, While i'd not absolutely depend on it, after a few hours of driving it does help.

While traffic conditions in India are still not up to the mark I do believe car makers should seriously offer this option on CBU cars, but for some reason whenever we bought a Mercedes-Benz in India and asked about it, the answer always was that the government does not allow it. True or not I have no idea.
Old 5th September 2009, 17:02   #3
BHPian

I drove the Camry 3.0 in the USA with an auto cruise and enjoyed the freedom that it gave, especially on the LA-Frisco freeway. But the freeways there are wide with several lanes going in the same direction with hardly any traffic. And they are of much, much better quality than in India. However, I can't imagine anyone using the auto cruise, for e.g., between Delhi and Chandigarh! I don't think the Government has any objection as so many cars models in India have the auto cruise already such as the Jetta Comfortline to name just one. The higher-end car makers have realised that the auto cruise is of not much practical use in India and so have done away with it. Another feature which is also really not needed in India is the heated driver's seat.
Old 5th September 2009, 17:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
....but for some reason whenever we bought a Mercedes-Benz in India and asked about it, the answer always was that the government does not allow it. True or not I have no idea.
Obviously not true as M&M is giving it in the Scorpio

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2009 at 19:48. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 5th September 2009, 17:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

"the government does not allow it"!

HAHA, nice way to put OFF a customer's enquiry!

anyway we in india dont have roads, the amount of traffic along with no lane driving sense, all these factors dont let a cruise be used for a longer time!

for example people rarely follow lane driving, people drive at their own sweet speed rather than follow the speed limits (both max and minimum), mix and match of slow and fast moving vehicles (trucks, buses, two wheeles, three-wheelers, rickshaw, etc)

and we dont have Motorways, Autobahns etc...We just have Highways(hic!)
Old 5th September 2009, 17:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Er no. Isn't it a bit obvious that we don't need it?
Old 5th September 2009, 17:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

like ACI said, we indians need it like a fish needs a bicycle
Old 5th September 2009, 18:16   #8
BHPian

We don't, we can't use them yet
Even though we can drive fast on some of the best roads, we can't sustain the pace as there will nuts driving damn slow on the fast line.
You try everything from horn, flash light or pray to god, but they just don't give way.
Whats use of cruise in such a place.
Old 5th September 2009, 18:54   #9
WYN

Hi.. (All)Wyn from Goa!

Sure Cruise Control is not a very practical must-have in India.
But the rather recent Safety feature getting equipped on Top-End Luxury cars will be real nice one for us in India with the very unpredictable driving around.

It's called the PCS (Pre-Crash Safety) System!

Pre-Crash Safety

Pre-Crash Safety is a technology to anticipate and prepare a vehicle for a collision before it actually occurs in order to help minimize damage. The Pre-Crash Safety System makes up for a delay in the driver’s recognition of the situation or decision, and help mitigate damage caused by a collision even if an accident is unavoidable through such measures as alerting the driver of the danger, promptly activating the safety equipment and reducing the vehicle speed at the time of collision by automatic braking. The Pre-Crash Safety System is regarded as an effective technology that helps to reduce traffic accidents and casualties.

Pre-Crash Safety - Safetytoyota.com

It's still a very (very) expensive technology and makes use of Radar Sensors etc. It can be equipped for both Front & Rear end colissions. It's optional Equipment currently offered by the likes of LEXUS all over the world. I am sure Merc & BMW have it too.

The last I heard of this already being seen on a a Lexus LS460h (Hybrid) imported from UK to India by a Indian businessman. Should the Front Millimiter Wave Radar Sensor malfunction and you are not backed by Warranty - can set you back by 3 Lakhs.

Hope to see the Pre-Crash technology really evolve and appear on affordable cars! The future demands the same. The above are just some thoughts - Cheers!
Old 5th September 2009, 19:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

What we rather need is automatic braking. So the moment you lift your foot off the accelerator, it will brake. Useful in metropolitan cities during mornings and evenings.
Old 5th September 2009, 20:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Milecruncher, Are you sure the Scorpio has Active Cruise control? I mean does the car maintain a distance from the car in the front or come to a complete stand still? I am not aware but then I have never looked up the Scorpio so if it does have the ACC then wow,

And pranavt, the DistronicPLUS what Mercedes-Benz calls it's ACC does come to a complete standstill in stop and go traffic with the brake assist and various other technologies, it is pretty awesome how it works.
Old 5th September 2009, 20:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
What we rather need is automatic braking. So the moment you lift your foot off the accelerator, it will brake. Useful in metropolitan cities during mornings and evenings.
Its ok if you don't mind 3 kpl... in the city!
Old 6th September 2009, 13:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
And how do you suggest that?
What would be the level of urgency in the braking? Stopping urgently wouldn't invite crashes?
Old 6th September 2009, 13:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hmm the pre crash system sounds pretty good. Honestly, its something that might work in India and save us from the worst of a crash. But it has to be tuned for our conditions where cyclists and two wheelers zip across the bows of our cars. Not sure if it can be done this way but if so, then I'm all for it.
Old 6th September 2009, 16:28   #15
BHPian

My Altis AT has the Cruise control and I have used it many times on Noida-Gr. Noida Express way and on DND flyway. One advantage is that you can get the best milage and least wear-tear by using it as the car will be driven at nearly fixed speed.

However I have to remain more alert while using it and have to watch every body else on the road (due to prevailing democracy on the our roads) which is more tiresome. So I dont think its a pratical idea in India.

P.S.: Democracy on roads means - everybody is free to do what ever he likes, rules be damned.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks