Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 23:01   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
+1 to that.!

Well said GTO,I wonder how many people in India will buy this car..! Does anyone over here in the forum have the sales figures of Rio..?

Anyway let's wait and see..!
That was precisely the question I wanted to ask. To date I have not seen a single Rio on the road. Has anyone else? Have they actually started selling it?
Old 18th February 2010, 00:50   #257
BHPian

Premier need to do enormous brand building exercises to regain the market. The success of Rio depend on:
- sensible pricing
- quality control (especially interiors)
- sustained brand building
- after sales service.

I feel it takes two to three years for Premier to start seeing green in their books.
Old 18th February 2010, 17:25   #258
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
Premier need to do enormous brand building exercises to regain the market.
At the end of the day, the actual product builds the brand. All the marketing & hype will go down the tubes if your product doesn't live upto segment standards.

Lets leave the "SUV" bit of the Rio aside for a moment. For the same / LESSER price, what is available to the Indian car buyer: A thoroughly modern i10, Ritz, Beat or Swift.....cars that have been crash tested, have excellent quality inside out (most of them ), reek of thorough engineering and technical thought process, cutting-edge diesel engines, safety ABS & airbags, lead the way in power / dynamics etc. etc. You get the gist? On the other hand, the same customer has a Premier Rio which is made in China by a new automotive company that in all probability knows nothing about car making, will be sold in India by a brand that has previously duped their buyers, powered by a 20 year old reworked diesel engine which has a turbocharger bolted on by an inexistent R&D department. Note the absence of common-rail tech too.

Question is : If Premier indeed wanted to bounce back in a more competitive time than they've ever seen, should it have been the Rio?
Old 19th February 2010, 12:54   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
If I'm in the market for SUV with budget 6-7L, I would settle with 3 year old Safari or Scorpio. Perhaps it will be too early to say but, these vehicles will definitely give me more peace of mind (at least psychologically).
I know I'm not supposed to compare Rio with these, but...
O/T: Are you serious about a 3 year safari!!!. A brand new safari has so many niggles and complaints and 3 year old would simply fall apart

I see no reason why we all are making such a cry about the RIO, granted PAL is almost defunct now, but the RIO seems to be a OK product for that price range.

How can we judge the build quality without taking a long term test on one? It is pretty surprising that instead of a proper discussion or review we all are collectively bashing the product and the company even before its proper launch.

I mean when we sing praises of tin boxes on wheels such as the products from trax or ancient gypsies we must give this product a chance too.

What is the point in comparing the RIO with an A segment hatch back? Is it only the price point?

My humble appeal to all. Can we please objectively review each and every auto, without getting emotional about the company in question or if its a Chinese import and all? We are team-bhp and we are one of the most objective auto sites online, I am sure we will live up to that reputation
Old 19th February 2010, 13:55   #260
Senior - BHPian

We are yet to see the RIO in Kochi, where usually any newly launched cars appear immediately. Any idea of RIO sales figures?
Old 19th February 2010, 14:44   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
O/T: Are you serious about a 3 year safari!!!. A brand new safari has so many niggles and complaints and 3 year old would simply fall apart

I see no reason why we all are making such a cry about the RIO, granted PAL is almost defunct now, but the RIO seems to be a OK product for that price range.
A 3yr old safari/Scorpio is any day a better buy than a brand new Rio. The best part being that service and parts are available easily.

Rio has an ancient engine which powers it and at current price level its by no means VFM when you consider what it offers. Also IMHO it is not a true offroader and thus comparing it with the Swift/Punto/i20 is perfectly acceptable.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:24   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
We are yet to see the RIO in Kochi, where usually any newly launched cars appear immediately. Any idea of RIO sales figures?
Is it launched? I am not sure. A lil birdie tells me RIO will get the delicious 1.3mjd from fiat, expect to see this coming april/may Donno how much will the price increase be.... lets see
Old 19th February 2010, 21:17   #263
Senior - BHPian

Does the Rio have any sort of crash safety rating? Like Euro NCAP or something?
Old 19th February 2010, 21:30   #264
BANNED

Jaipur Automobiles is the sole dealer for Rio in NCR, spoke to the Head - Mr Behl and he said the TD and display vehicles will arrive by Holi, though he insisted that bookings had commenced, he's got 30 orders already and got after me too to go ahead and book one, deliveries commence last week of March, as per him.
Old 6th March 2010, 11:43   #265
BHPian

I just read in a car blog that premier has managed a 2000 strong booking for the Rio.

Wheel O Sphere Blog
Old 6th March 2010, 20:12   #266
BHPian

Spotted one in Hyderabad

The other day I spotted one on the Begumpet flyover in Hyderabad. It was black. Don't know who the dealer here is.
Old 7th March 2010, 19:47   #267
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Don't know who the dealer here is.
Hyderabad

Sri Sri Sri Premier, Hyderabad -
040 - 27530169, +91 - 09160088678, 09963345678,

Source:

http://www.premierrio.com/dealers.html
Old 7th March 2010, 23:34   #268
BHPian

I sat in the car at the Premiere stall at the AutoExpo and can say for sure that the comparatively big outer dimension does not translate to much usable space inside.
The seats do not have adequate leg room or thigh support and somehow i believe that the rear seats would not accommodate 3 at all. Maybe most of the space goes to the boot which I could not check.
In short, this is not a very practical car. Maybe the initial novelty factor has got it the 2000 bookings or maybe its the niche car lovers who want something different from the usual hatches, but i would be very surprised if this response to the car continues for long.
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:00   #269
BHPian

not practical in the indian market, also doubt stability / conering at high speeds

looking forward to the MM THAR

Last edited by georgev : 3rd April 2010 at 16:01.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:59   #270
Senior - BHPian

Last week we were chasing one Rio on the Ghodbunder Road, the vehicle had a MH 45 passing, so it seems it came somewhere from Pune area (Pimpri-Chinchwad?) as there are only two dealers in Maharashtra area.

We were in an Indigo and had a hard time chasing the vehicle on the highway. Considering the fact it is an old school engine, the way it performs in the Rio is excellent. and it looks good for a small SUV/ Semi Urban area personnel.

If I was in Nagpur, I would buy it. In Mumbai, I would go for the Figo.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks